Question for schema in post. "Weapon Control Block" proposal.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    While i believe that Lyle_Shnub\'s idea is ok, it does still fall out of the balanced equation, the current idea is just simple relocation, either editing the weapon block, or adding a weapon link between weapon caches. and Shnub, I\'m not completely diminishing your idea as valid, I\'m just saying that yes, yours will require more work than Rennzen\'s. i find that it would be quite easier to implement Rennzens than yours. a form of weapon progression in the game would add infinite possibilities for smaller ships, but really, if you add those, you will have to add progression for power and shields and everything else, just to keep it within the parameters of balance, plus it still benefits bigger ships. these ideas BOTH have the same potential for implementation into the game, i still believe Rennzen\'s is just easier to allow in the game.

P.S. another thing... who in their right mind takes on a ship a BAZILLION times bigger than theirs? suiciders maybe. bigger ships = bigger firepower. thats how the universe works.

P.P.S. just to point out : \"that\'s the price of using hull on your ship. As it stands the most statistically efficient ships will have shields where hull is. Practically speaking, hull is basically useless.\" the whole point of this topic is to make things more aesthetically pleasing while still allowing for absolute domination with weapons. hulls are aesthetically pleasing.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think a \"war\" is a bit exaggerated lol. We have a disagreement on the forums, nothing more. :)

Anyways would appreciate more people in the discussion if you are new and reading this please leave a comment.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I do not appreciate you calling me nuts. Let us keep this civil.

\"So, thinking of space as a resource isn\'t exactly relevant being as we can make absolutely massive ships.\"

Just lol.

I am done arguing with you, and the last thing i will say is that i simply disagree with you.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I almost like it, but, the problem becomes extremely strong small targets - the turrets could be made from just a few blocks to apply the weapon power from 50x the amount.

So, you could make a turret with one cannon, turret control, A.I. and whatever else is minimally required and attach it to an array of 50 cannons sourced in the safety of the shielded hull.

Now, that tiny turret has the power of 51 cannons without risking them.

Reaction score
    And that tiny turret has no sheilds and is easy to blow up...

I love this idea, it meshes well with the current feel of the game, and would allow more creativity in ship building

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Though it\'s still easier for that tiny turret to hit medium-sized ship a few times before it\'ll get hit. And one can make dozen of such turrets easily.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Nice idea ! I like it a lot, but instead of that you coud make the block consume more energy to simulate more blocks without having to add them

Reaction score
    This idea is pretty cool, after all in \'\'reality\'\' aren\'t most of these turrets just outputs connected to the parent-ship\'s systems? Balancing is a nightmare, especially when multiple ideas of balance exist, but (civil) arguments in the community are usually how such things evolve, so let\'s keep throwing ideas back and forth.

My barely thought out idea is an alteration of yours; a second block that must attach to the relative bottom of the turret control block which has/hasn\'t an expandable area akin to the control block\'s. This area can contain power, shield or weapon systems and transfer them to any ship docked at the connected control block. They would also of course be excluded from the parent-ship\'s stats, with the exception of mass.

The turret can still have onboard systems, and may require one of any system being expanded, but these would enhance it. This could replace shield sharing as well, as the turret could potentially only receive extra shielding from its supply block. If this system was used, turrets would *usually be relatively weaker than their parent-ship, but still have the potential to be more powerful than a much smaller ship all the while still taking as much interior hull space, but presenting a smaller and potentially sleeker extra-hull shape.

PS(edit)

Another potential drawback is feedback of damage. Should the docked ship be destroyed, all linked systems are damaged or destroyed at random/per some formula, regardless of shielding. With exploding components, this could make powerful yet small turrets a serious trade off, what with the potential internal systems damage.

*The implication is that the turret must rely upon its own systems stored in or on the parent-ship. Though someone could build a super turret and attach it to a puny ship, the systems would be separate and either would only be as powerful as its own construction merits.

Reaction score
    Like Racingspider said before, I fear this will lead to tiny, almost unhittable three-block-turrets with the power of an enormous superweapon. However, I also do notice the fact that current turrets have to be enormous to do any reasonable amount of damage with the current weapons and shielding system. Transmitting power to weapons to make them do more damage bypasses the whole idea of using more than one weapon block, which is stupid. Therefore, I have a small plan, incorporating a few ideas present in this thread as well as mine.

We just cannot transmit all the weapon strength from a mothership to turrets. Think about this. A capital ship has its advantages (lots of shielding, durable, strong) but also drawbacks (slow speed, slow turning, easy to hit). If we transfer the weapon strength to turrets, we instantly lose two drawbacks of capital ships: slow turning and ease of being hit, thus making capital ships with loads of turrets even more overpowered than they are now compared to smaller ships. If I have a turret with all the might of the superweapon I have inside my hull, which can turn almost instantenously at any threat that might pop up and firing with all its might at a very big angle compared to where my ship is facing, let\'s admit it, it will be ridiculously overpowered and will ruin gameplay.

Therefore, I propose a scale at which the strength of weapons will be transmitted to turrets, based on how many weapon elements are in the hull and how many compose the turret gun itself. The numbers are up for debate, but I believe that it would be balanced if a turret could use no more than 200% of the elements it is itself composed of (example: turret using 20 cannons and \"feeding\" on 40 additional cannons inside of the hull) and the efficiency of the weapon strength transmission would be no more than 75% (that 20 cannon turret feeding on 40 in the hull would recieve the power equal to 30 cannons from the hull, therefore having an effective power of 50 cannons using 20 \"vulnerable\" turret cannons). Additionally, I would like to see a system that affects turning speed of turrets dependant on its mass. A lightweight flak turret would turn almost immediately, while that Yamato cannon you installed will take some time to aim, but of course it would be significantly faster than turning your entire ship toward the target.

Feel free to comment on the idea. I\'m not a native speaker, so sorry for any mistakes I\'ve made.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    As has been said,

capital class weapon systems generally arnt contained on small turrets in populer science fiction.

turrets are more for self defence against fighters or covettes and as such dont need to be as powerful. I think power should be directly proportionate to the size of said turret so that capital and super capital class ships still need capital weapons systems like missles and large scale anti-matter driver arrays.

these would have to be fixed in a forward direction leeding to more realistic use of turning rates in larger scale capital vs capital ship battles, with smaller turrets adding some defence against smaller faster vessles that the main ship weapons couldent \"track\"