Question about turrets

Reaction score
    Hey guys not sure where to ask this,

I've got a pretty massive turret with a bobby in it and it move so unbelievably slow. the turret is about 80 blocks long and 30 wide. and the ship has more than 600 rail mass enhancers, but they still move unbearably slow. whats going on?

also the bobby's don't seem to work when set to "target selected" each component plus the ship have a faction block but they wont fire when i target a pirate station. if they are set to any or missiles the work. but these cannons are slaved to pulse and take forever to reload

also i dont know if this happens to anyone else but if i have more than 15 turrets (30)entities attached to a ship the game drops to less than 1fps.

thanks guys.

Reaction score
    currently there is a bug affecting chain docking rails, where each link in the chain squares the mass.

That means that the bottom joint in your turret, is looking at the 'barrels' and, assuming that you only have two axis points, it is assuming that their weight is squared.

in the case of really big turrets, that means you would require an insane amount of mass reducers just to get them to rotate. I am betting that the 'up and down' on the turrets is working fine (first link, no mass squaring)

This is a known bug and (apparently?) an easy fix, so I suspect it will be addressed in the next update.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    currently there is a bug affecting chain docking rails, where each link in the chain squares the mass.

That means that the bottom joint in your turret, is looking at the 'barrels' and, assuming that you only have two axis points, it is assuming that their weight is squared.

in the case of really big turrets, that means you would require an insane amount of mass reducers just to get them to rotate. I am betting that the 'up and down' on the turrets is working fine (first link, no mass squaring)

This is a known bug and (apparently?) an easy fix, so I suspect it will be addressed in the next update.
    Ah, I didn't even know about that. I just thought that it was refusing to compensate for the mass of chain docked stuff at all.

Glad to know that the cause has been figured out, I should really look at the bug tracker more.

Reaction score
    heh, it's amazing what you stumble upon when you are trying to figure out the 'new' basics :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Since issue 1 has been resolved by the above, I'll poke 2 and 3.

2. Bobby AIs target things that have an active Bobby AI in them, iirc. If you target the turrets on the station, they should go into their kill frenzy on each one you select.

3. That's because the Rails system runs physics collision checks when moving, and physics collision checks can get computationally expensive the more objects, and/or blocks in this game, are involved; hence why servers forbid landing large ships on planets and the tactic of ramming another's battle cruiser with your own.

So with 31 entities (turret barrels + turret bases + ship), you're running 60 (each barrel check against its base, each base checks against ship) or possibly more (barrel check against base, base check against ship, barrel hits ship (which is even worse than the other two) since it was long enough and close enough to touch it while attempting to aim) physics calculations at a time when your turrets realize they need to shoot.

Reaction score
    Hey guys, thanks for the replys.

Well i suppose in the mean time i can fix the turrets by using an insane amount of mass enhancers.

I kind of figured it was physics but to clarify, if i have 15 or less turrets so base+barrel = 30 entities. everything runs fine at 30+fps. the moment i attach another... wham.> 1fps so its not a linear reduction in fps, affects everyone on the server. its a carrier i retrofitted into a destroyer after docking 64 bobby drone ships made the game grind to a halt, I made the bobbys in blister packs of 32, and docking the 1st set the ship was fine, as soon as i docked the other set and moved the ship the game became a slide show.

are thoes checks done client side then sent to the server? or other way arround. as i may be able to lessen it by moving the server to a stronger machine. seems a waste of cycles to have the child constantly check the parent even on "static" docked entities.
    Bummer i was kind of hoping to have my 5 main turrets and a bunch of little pew pew lazers

Reaction score
    Sadly because the issue is exponential its really hard to keep up with the number of mass enhancers you need. You would need to modify the mass enhancers in the config to have a much higher number than +3 Mass each. Just think, a turret that is 5000 blocks would be 500 mass, but squared that's 250,000. Now the bug isn't exactly make perfect squares, but you see how you start chasing dragons on this one.

I have a station that's 3M blocks with 12 2k mass turrets on it. It just will not work without the above mentioned hack into the config. The recursive nature is really evil, its not just multiplying out the chain from what I have seen. Its multiplying ALL the chains on the entire vessel. So those 12 turrets are essentially now around 72 turrets at 2k mass each. I might get them to move with 50k mass enhancers but I bet it won't happen.

Reaction score
    Well if i can hack the config then that's even better,. ;) im assuming that turrets move at a minimum anyway? or like if i put an enhancer with +1K mass will light turrets rotate instantly? not a huge problem but for the time being i suppose i can set the enhancers up.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hello guys I have this issue and I can't find the line in blockbehaviorconfig.xml

Where does it need to be set?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    \StarMade\data\config\blockBehaviorConfig.xml
    Thanks. In fact I think it was bugged somehow I didn't have the lines I see now: I did a backup of my world and reinstalled the game in the last version, and now it's OK. This file did not update even if I tried to force it.

Now I set <RailMassEnhancerMassPerEnhancer> to 15'000 (and I have 290k mass rail enhancers) and my turrets still behave sluggish here is a gif:

version: 0.19241

How to fix this? =(

edit: same thing when set to 15'000'000'000

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Bummer. I edited mine as well but haven't tested. guess it wont work for me :(

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    2. Bobby AIs target things that have an active Bobby AI in them, iirc. If you target the turrets on the station, they should go into their kill frenzy on each one you select.
    Ah-ha! This might explain why my turrets aren't tracking my test target: the target doesn't have a BOBBY on board. I was starting to think I was going mad. I'll try that tonight.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen

version: 0.19241

How to fix this? =(

edit: same thing when set to 15'000'000'000
    I am building a Massive Helicarrier ATM I had a similar problem with my turrets, it did not matter how many enhancers I installed on the main ship the turrets still ran at snails pace.

I solved the problem by adding enough mass enhancers to the horizontally rotating turret base to compensate for the heavy barrel. everything worked fine then. it looks like the mass enhancers only work on the FIRST entity docked and not down the chain to an entity on an entity . IE your gun barrel is too heavy so the gun base needs enhancers, then enhancers are needed on the main base to cope with the weight of the turret base AND the barrel. Hope you understand. easy way is to jump in the barrel core and see if it says it is too heavy for the rail. :)