Question about block ratio for weapons

Reaction score
    I don't follow this logic at all, since the total block count still remains the same, it uses the same amount of space. Want a single block output? Sure, it'll be hard to hit, but once you lose it, the gun is gone.

What about when you start losing blocks? Masters tend to be upfront in my experience, and without slave adding past the 100% you end up losing double the dps per block lost and are now lugging around dead weight (Will ignore if you use the "once you start losing hull, you're dead anyways" argument). I dunno, you'd need to explain the 'strategy' you're talking about for that to make any sense to me, considering we have the option to bury all the weapons in the center anyways.
    I don't think Sven was talking about the DPS of the gun, but about how easy it'd be to add 100% secondary effect since all you'd have to match with your tertiary blocks is a single block master.

So you'd get 1 block master, 5998 block slave, 1 block effect. That's way easier to build and protect than 2000 master, 2000 slave, 2000 block effect.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    So you'd get 1 block master, 5998 block slave, 1 block effect. That's way easier to build and protect than 2000 master, 2000 slave, 2000 block effect.
    I suppose it makes sense if you look at it from a effect standpoint, since effects are expensivem but that could be changed so # of effect needed is half of the weapon group. The total block count would still be the same though, and it is harder to control the % ratio of effects like that (100% isn't always best). I dunno, it just really confused me as to how overslaving affects building strategy.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    thank you. that was all i really wanted to know.
    I did mention that at least once before.

I don't follow this logic at all, since the total block count still remains the same, it uses the same amount of space. Want a single block output? Sure, it'll be hard to hit, but once you lose it, the gun is gone.

What about when you start losing blocks? Masters tend to be upfront in my experience, and without slave adding past the 100% you end up losing double the dps per block lost and are now lugging around dead weight (Will ignore if you use the "once you start losing hull, you're dead anyways" argument). I dunno, you'd need to explain the 'strategy' you're talking about for that to make any sense to me, considering we have the option to bury all the weapons in the center anyways.
    • Master - Has to be grouped into arrays, the bigger the array the more power full it is
    • Slave - Placed anywhere, just has to be linked to computer
    • Effect - Placed anywhere, just has to be linked to computer
    Now with the system you seem keen on
    • Master - Placed anywhere, just has to be linked to computer
    That's how it takes the strategy out of building

As for the issue about loosing master modules decreasing the DPS more than loosing a slave or effect. Good, it should work this way. The master is the MASTER, this is the primary weapon. It makes sense that a damaged gun is less effective then in it's original configuration. Don't want to loose effectiveness, add more slave and effects to gain that redundancy. That there is more build strategy.

If the system just counted the blocks to determine damage and divided by outputs there nothing stopping you from waffle boarding your ships like everybody did in the old system. More projectiles is better and because you can just stack a massive slave anywhere this waffle board will be even more powerful than the old system, Forget pierce and punch, waffles already mimic that effect by shear numbers.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I did mention that at least once before.

• Master - Has to be grouped into arrays, the bigger the array the more power full it is
    Now with the system you seem keen on
    • Master - Placed anywhere, just has to be linked to computer
    That's how it takes the strategy out of building

As for the issue about loosing master modules decreasing the DPS more than loosing a slave or effect. Good, it should work this way. The master is the MASTER, this is the primary weapon. It makes sense that a damaged gun is less effective then in it's original configuration. Don't want to loose effectiveness, add more slave and effects to gain that redundancy. That there is more build strategy.

If the system just counted the blocks to determine damage and divided by outputs there nothing stopping you from waffle boarding your ships like everybody did in the old system. More projectiles is better and because you can just stack a massive slave anywhere this waffle board will be even more powerful than the old system, Forget pierce and punch, waffles already mimic that effect by shear numbers.
    The only thing stopping people from waffle-boarding now is the power increase per group. All this really does is force the front of a ship to be bigger and bulkier if you want more weapons, or to make it wider (unless you want beams spitting our from the middle of the ship). 'Master' to me is just a fancy title given to a computer that dictates the projectile type, something that other games might do from a dropdown list.

The block count is still the same, thus the only difference is in how they are laid out, I don't see how stretching out long lines of cannons is any more intelligent a design than placing 1 block here, and the rest over there. At least the latter would provide more options, example; ships that want to put their main weapons on wings/fins. Trying to add 'master' blocks to the group would ruin the wing shape.