Pvp ships.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ive have noticed that most of the ships in the catalog are eyecandy and don't rly hold up in battle(pvp)

Does any one have a ship for pvp that can take down giant's with huge shields and lots of guns....

if any one does can they please post it

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have a few and my best attempts are okay i just want to see what other people\'s ship for pvp are.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Just look around, people have alot of combat vessels, they don\'t put them up because they don\'t want people having good ships they did not work for. If you only want to see them or did you really want the sment?

Reaction score
    Available PvP ship blueprints would be inherently vulnerable due to computer module locations being known.

Reaction score
    it is sad that eyecandy ships have no great combat capabilities

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Why not?

In theory, all you\'d need to do is build a ship with excellent combat qualities, then build \"eye candy\" around it. The eye candy would just have to include enough reactor cells and thrusters to cover its own weight without slowing down the underlying battle platform too much.

Of course that\'s only really an option for huge ships. If you put \"eye-candy\" around an agile little fighter it would easily double its mass, slowing it down too much. So at least for those its strictly form follows function.

I guess the real problem is the different mind set of the people designing these ships. People who make pvp ships are effectively engineers, their design principle is effectiveness, form follows function and function alone, and once their ship has the stats they want and performs like it should they are done.

On the other hand you have \"designers\" with the ambition to create beautiful ships (or re-create movie ship designs as accurately as possible) Their focus is not performance but details, up to the point where they deliberately make poor engineering choices for the sake of better looks. (Especially if the movie ship is badly designed to begin with in respect to the world- and StarMade combat physics)

What we need is the steam punk engineer, who can build an imperial era-esque battlecruiser that doesn\'t only pack the punch but also looks the part.

In any space ship, but with StarMade physics in particular you want the most amount of volume (for engines,reactor,weapons) with the least amount of vulnerable target surface.

So generally compact ships, cubes, spheres, bulky and packed forms are generally superior to sleek, elongated, delicate, fragile dainty designs.

This rule however has exceptions. A minimized surface exposes the few components that have to be on the surface by definition: Gunpoints, turret hardpoints, cockpits and hangar bay doors to name a few are very easy to target on a cube or sphere. If the surface is bigger and \"less smooth\" due to eye candy, it might make aiming at vulnerable points more difficult. This is even more apparent with the latest missile damage modification, as a missile hit with shields down won\'t blast away half the target vessel anymore but leave only moderately sized craters.

On the regular \"battle cube\" that crater would likely eat away reactors, shield and weapon structures. A Ship with an \"exe candy hull\" would first loose pinnacles and jutties, bridge structures and domes, but would require at least one more hit in the exact same place to be entirelly split open or disabled.

Another problem with the eye candy in pvp is of course repairs. Repairs to a 100x100x100 cube is easily done in the advanced editor, by placing 10x10x10 blocks of the raw material in question.

A delicately crafted hull in comparison is too time consuming to repair. Its near impossible to do so in battle, and with any significant battle damage (especially if spread over the whole surface thanks to small caliber hits from fighters/turrets while shields were down) you\'d effectively have to scrap it and buy a new one. Or leave the scars as they are and just patch them up a bit ;)

After all, battle scarred capitals have their own visual appeal in this game :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    just take one of the ships that look good and add guns and stuff to it it is what i do a lot

Reaction score
    What actually makes a good PvP ship? How do you balance it for offense/defense? How big should it be? So many questions... That\'s why I\'d like to have a look at, or even stats for a good PvP ship. If people don\'t make them available or tell anything about them then the only way there is to learn about them is to face them, which only tells so much to the inexperienced.

Reaction score
    Is there a specific size rating or cost limit you\'re looking for?

Reaction score
    50k Mass is the best I\'ve been able to do, so around that size if you have any advice for target criteria I\'d be greatful.

Reaction score
    I build ships from the inside out.

Trying to make ships look like sci-fi ships is a bad practice for combat, because the designers and effects crew draw up something that looks cool, throw random crap on it to make it look high tech, and then make up some fake stuff to justify a thing that doesn\'t actually have to work.

I make all my systems and place them, then make the outside of the ship around it. This way the ship shapes itself, and ends up looking chunky and deadly like real life ships do.

Real life combat vehicles look very plain because they are not designed to look good, they are designed to blow stuff up.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    And you want 50k mass? Try at least 300k mass if not more. My current largest is nearly 800k mass with room for 2 turrets the same length and height but twice as wide and a number of smaller turrets. This is a wip. The large turrets have yet to be designed and the game will likely not be able to handle them. I mean no offense, I am simply pointing out that this was a thread talking about killing giants, and the only way to do that is with giants of your own.

As for your request for advice, make it bigger. As far as that size put as many turrets as you can fit and you deem enough, as currently that is the most effective offense.

Reaction score
    And know apparently much less than experienced players when it comes to sense of scale, hence why I\'m in here asking questions. Most of the info I have is from looking at the wiki\'s, which place battleships, primary line combat ships, around that mass if not sometimes putting the lower bound much lower, one litterally 1/10th of what I asked about (it\'s also the first result on a google search for ship classification).

It may be good to remember that this is the kind of information widely circulating regarding size.

Reaction score
    The Adimo Ship Blizzard is very functional at killing big ships.. Although it is smaller than the Damocles, it does have a 2 million shield advantage and slightly faster turning speed, and on top of that it holds a boatload of fighters, and on the bottom are 2 docked frigates that can be set to AI and dropped in the middle of a warzone.

So far i think it is the best ship on Starmade. Packs the most punch for its price.

Damocles= 10+ million shield, Blizzard= 12+ million

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    For fighting perhaps. But I and many others have made plenty of ships that could easily blow that out of the water.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Combat cubes.

These things are the most powerful weapons of war. (Or maybe that ridiculous Mushroom fleet \"Thing\" which looks like a stick grenade)

Well, Most ships built generally follow the same thing if you want looks and performance. The interior is built first, and there are no interior amenities, but the external looks good.

Reaction score
    With the AMC nerf, the Hailstorm has become far less effe give and is currently being refitted with D1000s, in addition to this, several ships have destroyed it in AI vs AI battles because of it\'s horrendous turn speed.

My current ships are buying built with the interior first, followed by amenities, extensions, exterior details, power/thrusters, then I test them against a ship like the spirit of fire.