PVP balancing weapon

Reaction score
    I was just thinking of a new weapon that wouldnt be all that powerful would resemble a damage pulse, Whats intersting about it is that it goes through shields, The low damage of this weapon would keep it from being abused but it could be equipped on a small ship and if that small ship gets close to a large ship then it could do a some damage (Not fatal but it could accumulate which is the point) this way a well arranged fighter strike could possibly destroy a large ship, But as i'll say again, The weapon will be weak with a extremely short range and a long reload.

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If it's a damage pulse with changed parameters and the ability to bypass shields it seems to me like you are basically suggesting something like a "Shield Bypass Effect" which would significantly lower the damage done but make the weapon ignore shields. In my opinion it would need more distinct features to be a new weapon system.

Reaction score
    If it's a damage pulse with changed parameters and the ability to bypass shields it seems to me like you are basically suggesting something like a "Shield Bypass Effect" which would significantly lower the damage done but make the weapon ignore shields. In my opinion it would need more distinct features to be a new weapon system.
    yeah i guess so ut you get the idea...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    I was just thinking of a new weapon that wouldnt be all that powerful would resemble a damage pulse, Whats intersting about it is that it goes through shields, The low damage of this weapon would keep it from being abused but it could be equipped on a small ship and if that small ship gets close to a large ship then it could do a some damage (Not fatal but it could accumulate which is the point) this way a well arranged fighter strike could possibly destroy a large ship, But as i'll say again, The weapon will be weak with a extremely short range and a long reload.
    and here you go again with another sugestion on how to make flies destroy ships many hundreds of times their size on their own...

Reaction score
    and here you go again with another sugestion on how to make flies destroy ships many hundreds of times their size on their own...
    I dont mean destroy just "Damage" i want a small but well flown ship to be able to beat a clunker in at least a guerrilla style of Fly in, Pewpew, And fly out, And fly in again.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I dont mean destroy just "Damage" i want a small but well flown ship to be able to beat a clunker in at least a guerrilla style of Fly in, Pewpew, And fly out, And fly in again.
    damage over time can destroy anything
    pvp is balanced as is
    want to bypass sheilds? get a ship with a gun that does nuff damage to drop the shields
    no lone fighter should even be able to damage a capital ship
    thats why its a capital ship...

Reaction score
    damage over time can destroy anything
    pvp is balanced as is
    want to bypass sheilds? get a ship with a gun that does nuff damage to drop the shields
    no lone fighter should even be able to damage a capital ship
    thats why its a capital ship...
    In all honesty the amount of damage WITHOUT SHIELDS that a fighter could do anyway would be miniscule compared to the mass of a titan

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    In all honesty the amount of damage WITHOUT SHIELDS that a fighter could do anyway would be miniscule compared to the mass of a titan
    Miniscule, yes; Irrepairable[the damage is higher, than it would be reasonable to repair], also yes.

Reaction score
    and here you go again with another suggestion on how to make flies destroy ships many hundreds of times their size on their own...
    straw-man aside that's like saying astronauts can kill a cap ship because of torches. I haven't seen masses of people destroying battleships with them lately, have you?

on topic though, I don't see how a weak low dmg weapon would make a fighter/other small ships anymore viable. You will still probably die, only you've scratched their hull at most. if you are looking for something to make them more viable best bet is hoping the thrust/mass update makes smaller/ low mass ships faster and more maneuverable, and ships can't thrust backwards at high speeds. Outside of that you'll have to wait for an AI update where we can properly utilize them as wingmen.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    yes but there are sheilds so why should a fly be able to bypass them?

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    straw-man aside that's like saying astronauts can kill a cap ship because of torches. I haven't seen masses of people destroying battleships with them lately, have you?
    Torches do so little damage that it discourages that, you'd honestly be there for hours. A ship based variant would have to do a lot more damage, or else it would have 0 effect in battle and be ignored. The idea does have merit, but would be abused by certain elements of the community, as unlike torches, it could be reasonably used to destroy battleships.

It's honestly the sort of thing that would probably due better with a trial by fire, as a mod after the modding API is popped out. All the bits you would need are in the game, just need someone to pull it together.

yes but there are sheilds so why should a fly be able to bypass them?
    You have your opinion, you made it known, not much else you can do here. Trust me, it'd just leave you more annoyed over time. Better to wait on a comment by the council or schine than get stuck in a back-and-forth.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Daniel, I think at this point you should just make your own custom server configured to have no shield blocks.

...that might actually be really fun.

In the meantime, I wouldn't hold your breath for getting ship based weapons/blocks that bypass shields. Pretty sure 99% of the community would be against that.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    The only shield bypassing weapon I can imagine is a X3 style projectile cannon.
    In X3 it is using ammo that is special crafted to be not affected by shields. (So far the lore)

The only balanced implementation I see for starmade would be, that such a gun ignores shield an directly hits the structure HP instead of damaging block.
    Because otherwise it's a simple trollolo weapon, much to abusebale.
    If it hits the structure HP directly, you can repair your ship at a shop without having to replace a lot of blocks.

As addition, maybe the structure HP is only hit if the armor HP us below a certain percentage?

Reactions: friendofvampires
    Reaction score
    I think the idea has merits, i think maybe a locked 1 block range on blocks and match the torch damage (or maybe cut it down to 1, idk), so i can take a small ship and burrow into the bigger ship could be fun

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I haven't seen masses of people destroying battleships with them lately, have you?
    The Thryn Monarchy would like to disagree. We've currently got a 500k block doomcube docked to our planet as a trophy. We managed to take it with boarders.

Anyway, shield ignoring weapons (besides a tiny shortrange astronaut weapon) are either overpowered or useless. A shield ignoring pulse would either be useful, and thus the only ships and weapons people use are fighters with this weapon on a jousting rod, or useless, and so no one would bother.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I'd rather look for actual weapon balance in existing weapons, which is still not that good.