Push and Pull effect on weapons should work both ways

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Simple suggestion.

Apply the opposite force to the ship firing the beam from the force applied to the target ship.
    If you can't push/pull your target, you should at least be able to push/pull yourself towards and away from your target.

Theoretical applications: torpedoes that actually drag themselves into the target, leech drones, rapid escape from enemy capital ships while piloting a fighter, rapid bombing runs with bombers, etc.

I think that if you're able to move your own ship as well as the target, then Push and Pull might actually be used seriously in combat.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yeah and triple their effectiveness from current vanilla config to start. Might need to go even more to make them not shitty. Unless I'm doing it wrong?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think they could be reduced to a single module, with a directional input like other weapons. Point the CPU up, and get nudged up. Point the CPU forward, and get nudged forward etc.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I think they could be reduced to a single module, with a directional input like other weapons. Point the CPU up, and get nudged up. Point the CPU forward, and get nudged forward etc.
    I was talking about as an effect on weapons, not the passive effect. :|

Reaction score
    I posted something akin to this in that a "support system controller" could be used to adjust support beams from the weapons bar. A slider could be moved that changes stats, potentially giving an inverse gain. Think magnetic mines or hover craft.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Id almost prefer it to be based off of the masses than a slider cause other wise a giant capital could pull itself to a fighter which would be strange. Plus hovering would still be possible since a planet certainly is heavier than a hovercraft.

Reaction score
    Id almost prefer it to be based off of the masses than a slider cause other wise a giant capital could pull itself to a fighter which would be strange. Plus hovering would still be possible since a planet certainly is heavier than a hovercraft.
    Point.

Reaction score
    Simple suggestion.

Apply the opposite force to the ship firing the beam from the force applied to the target ship.
    If you can't push/pull your target, you should at least be able to push/pull yourself towards and away from your target.

Theoretical applications: torpedoes that actually drag themselves into the target, leech drones, rapid escape from enemy capital ships while piloting a fighter, rapid bombing runs with bombers, etc.

I think that if you're able to move your own ship as well as the target, then Push and Pull might actually be used seriously in combat.
    Newton said:
    actio=reactio
    "Tractor" effects - including stop - should always act on both parties in my opinion; if you try to accelerate something, it should in turn transfer at least part of its momentum to you. Using push/pull/stop as passive effects might be explained away with "transferring momentum to the surrounding universe".
    That would mean unless you're "not a moon™", you'd need both an active beam, and a passive stop effect if you want to keep station.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like the idea of the relational push/pull/stop, so if you are moving then the push or pull is relative to you. Then if you have a stop beam on another ship, you position yourself in front of it, have it fire continuously, and its like towing a trailer as you are stopped with relation to it but moving with relation to everything else.