Proximity Voice Chat

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    Is StarMade capable of supporting a method of in-game voice chat? And if so, could that voice chat be proximal in relation to the player that is speaking with everyone around him, leaving individuals out of earshot not able to hear.

If proximity voice chat is not something that StarMade could support, is it possible to make it compatible with something like Mumble, in the future?

Reactions: GreenScrapBot
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    With the amount of work that current StarMade servers already have to do just to stay a float with the craziness of players, I don't see any easy way of coding an ingame VoIP system that could be ran as part of the gaming server that wouldn't end up killing the servers overall performance. In my mind, I would prefer to separate the performance of my StarMade server and associated services to ensure the best quality of service for my players.

Integration with an external provider of VoIP would be nice, like say for example, the ability to display server details and allow players show when talking. But to be honest, mumble and ventrilo both already comes with overlays to do exactly that when inside the game.

Given the cost I have just paid for my new VoIP server I don't think it is to outrageous to expect players to pay for their own dedicated comms systems, while it would be fantastic to have a free system built into StarMade, I personally do not see it as necessary, a priority or reasonable.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Currently, there is no way of doing this directly through starmade. However there are server side scripts (Shadow by Doomsider for example) that tracks players down to individual sectors. If you know bash, you could develop an add-on for shadow that allows this kind of behaviour, e.g. only players within 1 sector of you would be able to hear you

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I can see it now, people going around in cloakers whispering "I'm watching you, bitch" and assorted 12 year olds regaling tales of their sexual conquests over each other's mothers.

Sounds good.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    With the amount of work that current StarMade servers already have to do just to stay a float with the craziness of players, I don't see any easy way of coding an ingame VoIP system that could be ran as part of the gaming server that wouldn't end up killing the servers overall performance. In my mind, I would prefer to separate the performance of my StarMade server and associated services to ensure the best quality of service for my players.

Integration with an external provider of VoIP would be nice, like say for example, the ability to display server details and allow players show when talking. But to be honest, mumble and ventrilo both already comes with overlays to do exactly that when inside the game.

Given the cost I have just paid for my new VoIP server I don't think it is to outrageous to expect players to pay for their own dedicated comms systems, while it would be fantastic to have a free system built into StarMade, I personally do not see it as necessary, a priority or reasonable.
    Would agree, but
    You need consistency and I don't want to install every possible VoIP software, 1 per com partner.

The quality of voices sucks. I often don't understand a word from some players.
    I would like to stick to text only and discourage any implementation of VoIP for that reason.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Hah, something like this would be perfect for faction meetings! Make sure those enemies aren't listening in though... If somebody offends you all you have to do is shoot him with the sniper weapon and he's out of earshot! :p