Proximity/docking detection?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm working on a modular utility ship, and one of the things I really want to have is a light to indicate when something is docked to one of the modular docking points. I can't quite figure out a way to do this, though:

1. Independent systems on each side don't work. Rail docker blocks claim to emit a logic signal when they successfully dock, but either I didn't have it hooked up right, or they don't, and basic rail blocks only emit signals when things move on/off of them, not when they're simply docked to.

2. If I did in fact hook up the system wrong on the rail docker end, and they do emit a logic signal, wireless logic wouldn't work. It would work on the module side, but not on the ship side, unless you hook up the wireless logic before you dock.

3. Area trigger blocks don't work, because they don't function like I'd expect (emit high when something is in the area, emit low when nothing is in the area), instead toggling on entry, which only works correctly every second time.

Are there any clever tricks I'm missing, or is this just not possible right now?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Some quick testing proved I'm rather foolish. Both the rail docker and the rail basic blocks send 'high' adjacent logic blocks when docked, and 'low' when undocked, which is all I need.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Some quick testing proved I'm rather foolish. Both the rail docker and the rail basic blocks send 'high' adjacent logic blocks when docked, and 'low' when undocked, which is all I need.
    xD yay for testing! You might not know this either, with rail basic in a line, and an entity (ship) moving over it every rail basic will give a signal once the entity passes over the block. put a button or activation block next to the rail and you'll be able to track where the entity on the track is, and maybe trigger an event. If you need any information, tips and tricks, check out bench his channel
    logic: rails:
    or ask me/community

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I actually used that feature in an earlier model of this ship--I just forgot that blocks have to be adjacent, instead of linked. Oops.