Proper throttle control

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Can we please get a proper throttle control so we can set ships to full speed/half speed/quarter speed/whatever and have them stay that way until we change it rather than having to hold down W forever to go at full speed and tap it repeatedly for anything else?

Reaction score
    Yes, and perhaps have an indicator for current speed as well, for those ships that aren't capable of instantly accelerating to any set speed. So there would be one indicator for speed presets (quarter/half/three-quarters/full) and an indicator for current speed (for real time reference). Also, the speed indicator should be zeroed in the middle and not on the bottom, so you would have an indicator for forward/backward momentum, rather than just general speed.

Maybe we could even have a docking speed (really slow creep) for bump-docking so you won't be bowling the thing you're docking to hafway across the system by the time you get a reliable lock on it.

Reaction score
    And then watch in horror as you clip through your elevator due to some unforseen bug and it speeds away from you at a rate you could never hope to match lol.

I think a way to just set a specific speed would be good though. I hate when I'm going somewhere, and I have to jump out of my core. For a couple of seconds. then when I get back in, I'm only going 1/8th my speed from earlier.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I think a way to just set a specific speed would be good though. I hate when I'm going somewhere, and I have to jump out of my core. For a couple of seconds. then when I get back in, I'm only going 1/8th my speed from earlier.
    Disable auto-dampeners when exit in the thrust configuration menu. (Press R on a thruster, or use the ship radial menu)

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    So, a sort of target speed set by Left/Right/Up/Down/For/Back/Brake that isn't dampened by ship mass? I'd like this, but its uses seem limited. Why set your speed if you're going to sit in your core while you fly to your destination?

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    So, a sort of target speed set by Left/Right/Up/Down/For/Back/Brake that isn't dampened by ship mass? I'd like this, but its uses seem limited. Why set your speed if you're going to sit in your core while you fly to your destination?
    Why sit in your core? Give it a feature where you could set it too a speed and have it stay at that speed, even when you leave the core. Add to that a function where the engines on a ship with no active AI will shut off and the ship will be brought to a stop if there is no player within say 2 kilometers. That should make it pretty easy to get your ship back if you glitch out of it while it's moving, and unless said ship is a 1:1 scale replica of "Spaceball One", it should never go off while you're still on board.

Reactions: rocketman221
    Reaction score
    Disable auto-dampeners when exit in the thrust configuration menu. (Press R on a thruster, or use the ship radial menu)
    Sometimes it still goes down even when auto-dampeners are off. Ive taken to putting a display module with the speed command displayed on it because of this. I have to say it adds a nice feel of RP though
    [doublepost=1498872527,1498872466][/doublepost]
    Just for fun and to make it easier to maneuver small ships to dock/float around that dont have slow acceleration.

EDIT: does anyone know how to stop my replies from merging??

Reaction score
    Does that also keep the speed boost from overdrive? not able to test it right now, but I will if I can get on soon.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Can we please get a proper throttle control so we can set ships to full speed/half speed/quarter speed/whatever and have them stay that way until we change it rather than having to hold down W forever to go at full speed and tap it repeatedly for anything else?
    Get a HOTAS and set your slider?

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    This should be tagged as implemented, seeing as the feature has been available since the thrust update. If it doesn't work, it's a matter for the bug tracker, not the suggestions forum.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    I agree just for the setting. I'd like to be able to set 50% thrust easily.

Reaction score
    This should be tagged as implemented, seeing as the feature has been available since the thrust update. If it doesn't work, it's a matter for the bug tracker, not the suggestions forum.
    This is not in the game. Being able to set the MAX power of thrusters in a given direction is not the same as the applied thrust. For small ships it can get a little silly to fly in a smaller space. I think that we need some level of throttle control but I feel it is something that will just happen naturally as the game progresses.