Project Archimedes - Zeus-class Luxury Cruise Ship

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    I would like to welcome everyone to my first official large-scale ship project: the Archimedes LCS!

I began this project almost a month ago, and then my desktop PSU fried and it was dead in the water. Now that I have a brand new power supply, I am back to working on this ship as much as time allows.

The initial idea of the ship was to have a large carrier able to haul a few smaller ships and a few larger ships. As I continued to build, it slowly became a luxury cruise ship able to carry the ships and any crew members those ships may contain.

I would estimate that I have roughly one third of the ship complete, at best. Most of the work I've been doing has been laying out the hallways and rooms for the passengers, as well as creating a seperate network of hallways for the Archimedes crew members to navigate between locations without bothering the passengers (especially the First Class occupants, but we'll get to that).

While the ship will not be made for combat, I am building it with necessary defenses in case of an attack to protect the occupants from harm. There will be enough turrets placed around the ship to ward off most attackers, as well as a high capacity shield to ensure total protection.

The cabins are divided into 3 sections. Economy, Middle class and First class. The Economy bays and rooms will be situated on the bottom of the ship, near the cargo bay.

Economy occupants will have access to the same areas as the others, the distance to get to them will be far greater and the rooms will be smaller while holding 2 occupants per room. There are 16 docking stations (8 on either side) and 64 rooms (4 per ship) available.

Middle class will have slightly larger rooms and only hold 2 occupants per room, but as they are situated near the center of the ship, will lack the windows of First class rooms. The number of docking bays is not final, but there are currently options for 4 medium-large bays or 1 very large bay. If I get enough suggestions, this can be changed.

First class only has two available docking bays. Each room is situated near the top of the ship, and have their own windows, as well as small park areas below to relax and watch the stars. Each room is made for a single occupant, made to accomodate 10 crew members and one Captain. There are 7 smaller rooms, 3 larger rooms and a seperate larger room for the Captain.

I also have plans for VIP rooms with their own seperate docking bays along the side of the ship nearer to the front, as well as bays for the cruise ship personnel.

As of now, there is a large dome on the top waiting to be filled with kiosks and whatnot, but I could use some help with what kinds of rooms to put within the ship as it's built. I am open to any and all ideas!

http://imgur.com/a/We4Vg

I will be updating the gallery as often as I can, most likely multiple times a day until the project is done!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Most of my progress has been internally, setting up hallways and rooms, but I\'ve been slowly building forwards to the front of the ship. Made some changes to the sides to bring out the cruise ship more.

Reaction score
    That is one of the most beautiful ships I have ever seen. Can\'t wait till its done!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Reviving this poor old topic for a quick update:

I took a *very* long break from Starmade, but I recently started working on ol\' Archimedes here. Not much progress yet, because this dome is driving me nuts.

http://i.imgur.com/XwaO36D.png

The top dome is good, I just can\'t seem to come up with a matching dome for the lower tier. Any help plotting it out would be great!

Reaction score
    please finish this i have been looking for a cruise ship for a while now

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I\'ve moved to working on other parts of the ship while I figure out the dome problem. I started with a redesign of the side windows. I had originally just made simple 3x10 panes that fit flush with the hull of the ship, but I changed it to something I feel gives it a better sense of mass.

http://i.imgur.com/06cyQob.png

Having the panes set in between the pillars, and away from the hull makes the main hull appear thicker, while the pillars give it a better sense of structural integrity. Next step is attempting to carry this feel through the rest of the ship, but as of now I\'m quite happy with how it turned out.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    How are you going to move players? That\'s impossible, caues they glitch out when you enter a new sector. Maybe put in some build cores or dummy computers in the passanger\'s rooms?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    The general idea of it is that it\'s more of a showcase ship than something that people will use, but yes, the plan is to add some form of computer in each room to act as beds.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    After weeks of hums and haws I finally (nearly) finished up the front end of the ship!

http://i.imgur.com/0xJk5V1.png

There\'s still some work to be done, and plenty of detailing, but it\'s progressing faster now that I have the final plans laid out. It\'s been extended out to 500m in length now, up from the planned 400 because I found it looked a little strange proportionately and came out looking a little stubby.

I also built up an inner structural framework based off of Crusade\'s fantastic work

http://i.imgur.com/jzmp2re.png

It isn\'t fully complete, but it gives the ship as a whole a nice rigid feel to it and will make roleplaying that much neater.

On that note, I\'ve been working on the interior as well. The big acheivement at this point is the Grand Hall:

http://i.imgur.com/Amnih0L.png

As of now there are 11 floors open to the public/passengers. The rest is sealed off and only accessible by the ship\'s crew. Places such as the engine rooms:

http://i.imgur.com/ikZfF6N.png

I haven\'t put much time into the detailing yet, I just wanted a quick outline of what the engines might end up looking like. There isn\'t much space on the width to work with, so building a room around that engine design is a bit of a pain. It will more than likely change as I get further into the build.

What I need now is a solid list of rooms you would expect to see on a cruise ship so I can start knocking some off of my To-do list while also polishing up the internal layout.

Reaction score
    Keep up the good work.

A couple things that I feel would be a must on a cruise ship would be a mall and a spa. Check out this thread as well: http://star-made.org/content/rp-rooms-ships-suggestions-please. It has a lot of great suggestions in it.

Oh!!! A full sized basketball court would be nice. I know I would want to play some bball during my space cruise.

Reaction score
    Please post the download link once your finished, i would like to see this amazing ship up close! its amazing!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Procedural backgrounds make everything look good.

I\'ve still got some work to do with the colour scheme, and some detailing on the engines, but it\'s getting there!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I am now officially nearing completion of the outer shell of the ship

Gave it just a small dash of flair on the front end :D

I did a bit of refining of the general hull with some wedges after I took this screenshot, but it\'s barely visible work at this point. All that\'s left for the outside now is some final detailing on the front end and some more wedges on the domes and such. After that it\'s just the interior left to finish up.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    wow!

not the design is what I like, but the painting on it!

Now it just needs a beach and nacked humans on it :p

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I am very chaotic when building, jumping from one piece to another before finishing the first task.

That said, I spent a short time looking at the glass domes at the top front of the ship before I realized that it wasn\'t very optimal for servers with collision damage turned on. So I came up with a solution!

http://i.imgur.com/uY5xNEH.png

The hull is slightly raised above the glass in hopes that any stray asteroids glance off of that before touching the plexglass. With the size of the ship as it is and turning speed that low, avoiding asteroids and debris may not be too easy depending on server top speeds.

I also did some quick work on the prow, with focus on the front deck. I tried to think of the silliest thing I could add to it and came up with an emergency \"helipad\" that a small craft could land on to carry off passengers or crew who are too injured for the ship\'s medbays to handle:

http://i.imgur.com/JGrB9cs.png

The end goal is to make this ship the most ridiculous roleplay-based ship, I feel like I might just acheive that :D