Progressive Gameplay

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Sorry, am teacher.

[edit] Maybe this is why education is often linearly structured? Basic arithmetic -> Algebra -> Calculus -> etc...
    Education is linearly structured because you need to know addition in order to understand that multiplication is iterated addition. There's also a metric assload of psychology involved; there are things that people are literally just incapable of understanding at certain ages. I used to think that you could teach first graders exponents if you just spent a lot of time getting them familiar with addition, then multiplication, then exponents - but you can't actually do that because 6 year olds generally require concrete, directly relateable examples of stuff they're learning; they also don't really have a concept of numbers larger than 100. It also doesn't help that the average 6 year old actually believes the world is flat.

I like to think of starmade as more horizontal than vertical; there's obviously a vertical progression in armor, but my survival experience mostly revolved around "ok, these are the capsules I have, what can I make with this?" If I have lots of hylat, then I guess I'll learn about cannons. If I have lots of rammet, then I guess I'll learn about shields.

I am also sort of of the opinion that every sandbox game should come with a good wiki that includes everything you would ever want to know about anything. I'm the kind of person who tries to learn all the mechanics before building something. My first ship had maxed box dim reactors. Granted, not everyone wants to play that way, and that's totally fine; I personally like the achievement system idea. I wouldn't be opposed to a more informational tutorial either, the existing one is a little lacking.

Reaction score
    Thanks for the explanation, Dragleones, it was very helpful :) and mildly disturbing... it makes the advanced armors sound completely pointless compared to shielding. I think I'll be joining you in the wishful thinking about hull mass lol

Education is linearly structured because you need to know addition in order to understand that multiplication is iterated addition.
    Sorry, I should have made it more obvious or at least hinted that I was saying the tutorial should model the education system (successive steps) in regards to more in-depth explanations about the kinds of stuff Dragleones was explaining. It's easy to follow a trail of bread crumbs... not so easy to follow a whole field scattered with them lol And like I said before, it's only gonna get worse as more blocks are added.