Programmable Ai - CODING

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Python is a really easy to understand language, and i dont think ot would alienate too many players from this.

Reaction score
    The thing is, that would be amazing! Most servers have protected spawn areas, and being able to send out auto drones into uncharted areas would be aweseome. They could even add remote control and viewports to control a ship remotly and see what it is seeing, or even just see a radar or something of whats around it!

Reaction score
    For the people saying it is to hard, the bobby ai could be left as it was to keep a nice basic thing, while there could be a LUA, javascript or python block for more control. If you look up computercraft scripts, you can find TONS of copy-paste code for all kinds of stuff, so the noobs can be happy and the more advanced players who can either alrerady code or a willing to learn a language to make whatever they want.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    the problem with this is that anybody who can program will have a HUGE advantage to anyone who canot, even with sharable programs, as peaple who can not program can only use what is given to them while programers can have huge costom programs that will distroy anybody stuck with simple copy past stuff.

Reaction score
    Then people should learn to program. it is a very valuable skill and making programs pays well. The game could be not only fun, but educational.

Reaction score
    I really much hope schema will NOT put this in the game, even when its on the planned features list.

If he does i can only play offline.

Because everyone else will have an armada of AI controlled ships around them.

Reaction score
    And i wont study how to program just so i could make an effective AI ship.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I would personally love to see this implemented, but I\'m a bit worried as to the effects on gameplay for non-programmers(I\'m borderline case myself). The idea of having to learn coding to properly play the game is not unlikely to scare of new players, and not everyone will be able to even with sufficient motivation.

I believe we need an adaptive system that won\'t require mentionable skill, but still reward it with increased modularity, perhaps by heavily enhancing the regular Ai\'s potential applications and modularity along with the introduction of computers. As such, players unwilling or unable to learn coding would still recieve it\'s basic advantages, but still miss out on the ability to customize and enhance their systems, perhaps motivating them to learn it in their own time.

Also, programmable systems would add another gameplay element, that of not all ships being indentical interface-wise. I\'d love to have to spend a few minutes familiarizing myself with the controls, commands and digital quirks of the ships I download, not just sit down in the core and fly away.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    And how is that a problem? Being able to effectively command more than one ship is just what this game needs. You\'d still have to build them all, right? (Or not, with today\'s messed up blueprints, but that\'s another issue)

Reaction score
    Lets see 1ship vs 8965324795063245907ships.

How are you supposed to win with 1 ship?

Tell me.

Reaction score
    The programming could be simplified in the form of \"blocks\" in a GUI that tell the AI to do a specific thing on a certain condition, such as a \"move-to (sector)\" block with the condition \"shield below 20%\" (I\'m not talking about physical in-game blocks).

This way, harmful stuff can be kept out of the game in a controllable fashion, and players without any coding experience get to enjoy the AI as well.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    You\'re not. You enemy has a significantly larger fleet, and as such they will and should defeat you. Currently, larger fleets are not possible since all ships require players, and gettig that many players in one place at one time and cooperate is just not going to happen. All this will do is remove that cap, for everybody, you included.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Well, that kind of \"language\" would be heavily limiting for those with more advanced skills. Maybe for the simpler Ai, but proper lua coding should still be there.

Reaction score
    Exactly

So those who dont know how to program are doomed.

Think a game where you can do NOTHING if you dont know how to program.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    That I am equally oppsed to. You might have noticed my other post clearly stating that the absence of a coding-free but less cutomizable alternative would be disastrous for the game.

Reaction score
    We would anyways all exchange our AI-Settings so it doesn\'t matter, once someone wrote a basic config noone needs to write it by himself. And finally it would end up everyone using the same configuration because it\'s the best possible solution.

I know programming and even if noone else publishes his config, I will ;)