Programmable Ai - CODING

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    HI, the bobby ai module is cool, but sometimes it is retarded and kills me :(

Main Idea:

so i propose for the bobby module to be a script engine: meaning you make the scripts using a simple language like: LUA or javascript, lua would be the best option for this because of its simplicity and non object orientated nature.

Scripting Engine:

being the programmer i am means i like advanced things, control, information and response

it would take a lot of hassel off of fine tunning the module because it would be in control of the user not the developer.

my idea is based off of the Minecraft mod Computercraft were the computer is a physical block that has an api that can interact with the minecraft environment

in the context of the bobby module it should have a set of events and a api that is not an aimbot but lets the script tell it a specific rotation:

• x = api name
    • x.pointat("rotx,roty,rotz")
    • x.getPosistion("mobname") returns fine position not sector position from entity
    • x.FindClossest("sectorx,sectory,sectorz") "returns entity"

etc..

Simple summary

adding a scripting engine would take a lot of work off the developers since it is a implement and forget thing, Lua is the best choice for this application since librarys already exist to implement Lua in java. this does not mean it should become an aimbot but something that can find an object or mob and the user develop a way of figuring at the angle to rotate and chose weapon to fire. this would allow for an INFINITE POSSIBILITIES: repair drones,autocloaking bots, use different weapons, auto dock to ships, fly ships back to base. now that i think about it there needs to be a way to communicate between modules.

Thank you for your time

Reaction score
    I myself have done quite a bit of programming in Lua in Computer Craft, without any of the supporting mods for it, but I still found the capabilities of programming my own functions outstanding. With a vast list of events, besides just targetting, like getting specific data about a ship.

You would look at its speed and then aim ahead accordingly, to your specifications. This would make for much smarter AI, but would not be overpowered because it still only performs at a a similar level to the player and the other entity would have time to dodge unless they were too close.

Even if you have some of the AI planning ahead you can have some shooting directly at it to prevent the player from moving in a direction for short bursts just to make AI shoot wildly.

Using this it would probably be possible to have an armada of unmanned spaceships :D.. Which could be prohibited by a limited mass that the AI can handle :(

Also this just barely favours people who understand how to program, as the language itself is very simple, just by using some examples you can learn the code needed without having to even look up the on the website, but also I\'m certain many people would upload their own programs to the forum :), Even if it\'s just to show that their program is the best.

Reaction score
    I like the idea if code can be safed and loaded. This would allow players not able to code it by themselves use foreign code and not getting a disadvantage.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I would enjoy this alot too. Great idea and it should be implemented.

Sio

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I love the idear and i hope it will implementet. (I allready thaught about a targeting code ;) )

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Making a code based system has a few undesired effects imo; you end up with copy-paste code (one AI will eventualy rule them all), not every one can programme (i can, but it felt out of place in computer craft IMO in MC, and i cant see how it wouldnt here).

I like the idea of building an AI out of various components which u, in 3d, put together similar to factories such as (totaly off the top of my head examples) AI Pilot, AI Gunner, AI Target Finder, AI Engineer. Each with an AI interface similar to BOBBY only you select relevent things.

My big problem with code is that if ONE block can do everything or bugger all there is no scaling, however if u have to put one on every weapon, helm, etc block, its more in-theme with the voxel game model.

Example; all on one ship you could have

Auto Pilot:
    AI Target Finder, set to target fiendlies/faction menbers

AI Pilot Bound to the above AI Target Finder (now the ship flys with its buddies)

Gunner:
    AI Target Finder, set to target hostiles

AI Gunner set to fire a AMC battery (now you have a wing man who targets stuff!)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think it would be cool for there to be a DCPU-16 like in 0x10c, that you can program (in assembly!) to do all sorts of things. You should even be able to turn lights on and off! To me, this game seems like a lot like 0x10c, but with game developers who actually develop games

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    ComputerCraft is one of my favorite mods in Minecraft. I would love to see something similar in StarMade. Oh, the creations that could be made.

I hate to be that guy that links my own ideas, but I figure this is relevant.
    http://star-made.org/content/inputs-and-triggers
    It was buried pretty quickly, but the basic idea was to create an input/output system where events could trigger actions for just about every non-static block. More or less, the Redstone equivalent (abet wireless). My reason for linking it is that I believe it would compliment a programmable block much the same way Redstone compliments ComputerCraft. The triggers of the programmable block would allow external inputs to set variables by setting up a trigger and giving it a variable name and what to change it to. On the output side, the programmable block would have an API that sends a trigger events, and these events could be sent to other blocks. The trigger system would ultimately allow the program to control every part of a ship.

Reaction score
    i hate it its so complex to use and if it isnt i hvent found any command lines or what stuff means id prefer javascript

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I hate to break it to you, but permitting players to use LUA/java/something inside the game is asking for griefers to crash the server and render it un-rebootable. There\'s a reason 99% of Minecraft servers disable ComputerCraft for non-admins.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This could be solved by implementing a maximum processing speed, along with a maximum amount of programmable blocks in use per client. This is how Gmod\'s Wiremod prevents the issue and it works well. 99% is blown way out of proportion as well. From my experience in looking for a good FTB server, I\'d say the real number is somewhere far below that, and many of those are due to dupe bugs, not performance issues. Expressing a perceived issue is good, but there\'s no need to throw out random numbers like that.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    From what I know, imposing restrictions that will simply prevent possibly harmful/servercrashing/capacity-eating code from executing is rather simple. I have no idea from where you got that figure on computercraft disablings, all servers I\'ve been on have had it active and running.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    In that case, it must be a recent development. Months ago, I stopped playing minecraft entirely, but it was the case at the time that no admin in their right mind would permit a normal player to use ComputerCraft.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Then of course, I haven\'t been on that many servers. But I\'ve been around with minecraft for quite a while and I\'ve never heard the slightest mention of Cc being vulnerable to crash-griefing or in any way destructive or adviseable to disable.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It\'s actually pretty easy to do. Just drop a program near spawn with an infinite loop in the startup program of the CC computer. Wire it up to a pressure pad or put it where some player can find it, and you\'ve got yourself a server-killing trap.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    here\'s one example i found with a google search

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1nIyjBdqhw&lc=soCaFL-NrYO3GCODc1qr1yb8rxIHvuDacm4cIdAl-Fo

---

while true do

if rs.getInput (\"back\", false) then

rs.setOutput (\"back\", true)

end

if rs.getInput (\"right\", true) then

rs.setOutput(\"front\", true)

rs.setOutput(\"left\", false)

end

if rs.getInput (\"right\", false) then

rs.setOutput (\"left\", true)

end

end

Reaction score
    Having played garrysmod for a long time and using E2 in almost everything i make i agree to this. I want to be able to make mining ships, repair turrets/drones and drone ships that are way smarter than bobby ai units. Regarding outputing debug data, how will this be done? Will we get something similar to data signals in e2? That would be great to be able to make ships communicate with each other or ship to base communications

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Don\'t get me wrong ... I love being able to issue fleet-wide orders as in X3. I just don\'t believe in freely-programmable AI in a multiplayer setting.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    That particular case seems to be an issue with setting and polling for a redstone signal. In ComputerCraft, each side of the computer can function either input or output. Or both, apparently. Whether it would transfer over to StarMade is yet to be seen, or if any other problems could pop up. But, like I said, WireMod\'s E2 in Gmod solves these sort of problems by a limited number of processes per second, and the E2 chip is fully programmable, though in what language I cannon remember. It might have been in Lua as well.

Also, for what its worth, I just tried what that video showed in Feed The Beast. It was local, but the code did not crash the game, or even slow it down. I have to imagine it was fixed long ago.