Producing ship "components" in factories (anti-modular idea)

Reaction score
    Newb Edit
    Ah, in my newb-cocoon here I was completely unaware of templates :oops::D (Thanks to the first two posters below!)
    They do pretty much every thing I've described (although you can't set a yard to mass produce them), and so pretty much render this idea obsolete!

What

I like the idea of modular ships, they have plenty of positive (and negative) attributes, but I uderstand and accept that for a game like this they cause problems and need to be discouraged. I'm not complaining about this at all.

There is one aspect of modular ships I think the game should attempt to keelp though: being able to build parts of a ship ("components") and then put a ship together from components (fully or partially).

Why

For example if I build a bridge I love in one ship, and want to use it in my next ship, I can't unless I build it again by hand, or use it as a docked module in both ships.
    Or if my fleet/faction uses a standard hangar in all ships large enough, it has to be bult by hand for each ship design, or used as a docked module in every ship.
    Or if I build a logic jump engine I want to use in every ship I build, it has to be...(as above)
    Or if I have standard weapon types/sizes (non-turrents) that I want to use in other ships, they have to be...(as above)

This idea is the soultion to all of the above (and all somilar issues).

How

I imagine the easiest way to implement this would be a new block: a "Component Dock/Core"

• It would enable building around it just like a ship core or build block.
    • It would be able to be entered and piloted like a ship core (but only with extremely low acceleration/speed, and all computers/shields/etc would be non-functional, to prevent player abuse)
    • It would be able to dock either to any block in a ship or to another Component Dock placed in a ship (a minor point I haven't fully thought through), and when this is done the component is fully and completely merged into the ship - the ship and the component irreversibly become a single ship. The Component Dock block should probably be destroyed and replaced by empty space or wire mesh at this point.
    • Components could be stored as blueprints (as anther blue print type besides ships and yards), shared, and mass produced in shipyards.

Example
    1. You have a 10,000 partially built ship frame. It needs a hangar of the design agreed on by your faction.
    2. You check the server catalogue to see if a faction member has uploaded the hanger component.
    3. No-one has, so you build it yourself: starting with a Component Dock block, you build the hangar so the block is at the rear of the hangar, where it will be adjacent to an existing block in the ship
    4. You enter flight mode in the completed hangar component (2000 blocks large), and pilot it into position
    5. You activate the Component Dock with one of the existing blocks on the ship
    6. All the blocks in the hangar component become blocks in the ship, al relative to the docking point between component and ship. The Component Dock block is automatically destroyed.
    7. The component no longer exists, you now have a 12,000 block ship that includes a faction-approved hangar.

Misc
    • This suggestion doesn't in any way replace any part of the current building system, it just complements it.
    • This mirrors the way many things are built in real life (cars for example: the components are produced somewhere, then brought together into a single car)
    • This idea has no negative impact on lag in combat, the way that modules do, because because the components are fused/absorbed into the mother ship during building. Once used they no longer exist as separate entities.
    • The thread title is slightly misleading: this isn't "anti-modular", it just gives one positive aspect (the biggest one IMHO) of modular ships without any their negative aspects - it furthers the apparent goal of the devs to encourage non-modular ships, without outright bans

Last edited:

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Templates are handy for pasting into your structures. I use them a lot. You can copy anything to template, and if you have enough RAM and processor you can copy/paste large structures.

I to like the idea of modular building and hoped the rail system would provide this. Sadly it has introduced problems around entity bloat, lag due to collisions and entity bloat and in my opinion there just hasn't been a lot of focus on making this work better.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    Cool idea but templates seem to have filled this gap for now. If storage pulls could be saved in the template data they would be perfect for me!

Reaction score
    Ah, in my newb-cocoon here I was completely unaware of templates :oops::D
    They do pretty much every thing I've described (although you can't set a yard to mass produce them), and so effectively render this idea obsolete!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    Ah, in my newb-cocoon here I was completely unaware of templates :oops::D (Thanks to the first two posters below!)
    They do pretty much every thing I've described (although you can't set a yard to mass produce them), and so effectively render this idea obsolete!
    Glad you have caught up! Good building.