Problems with ram

Reaction score
    I must say, i definitely do not have a good computer, but i can get about 40 - 50 FPS on low graphics. However, i have just started having a problem talking about running out of RAM. Though i get decent FPS usually, a popup regarding my RAM problem keeps causing lag, which sometimes goes down to 5-10 FPS. Is anyone else having this problem, and what can i do to fix this. Thank you in advance

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    How much ram does your computer have? Also, what operating system are you on and do you know if you are using 32 or 64 bit?

Reaction score
    THe problem depends on a: how much ram does your computer have? and b: is your system 32 bit or 64 bit. If your system is 32 bit then 1 program can only have 3GB of RAM at one time. Also your computer is also limited to 3.2GB of RAM. If you have a 64 bit system then RAM is limited at anywhere from 8-192GB (for windows). If your running a 64 bit system, I would suggest at least 6GB of RAM. It's cheap buy some. My answer is based on the assumption that you are running windows, and that you are not talking about starmade's built in memory limits.

Reaction score
    4 GB is enough actually, provided you don't have way too many background programs/windows open or want to build ten million block ships. Download 64 bit java (if you haven't got it already), and increase the memory settings on the first screen of the launcher.

Reaction score
    While 4 might be enough to play the game. 6-8 is required to experience better performance. Starmade already takes up more than 4GB on my system. Especially with how Windows works with the paging file. My best guess is thats what is causing the 5-10 FPS. When an application is using more RAM than the system has available Windows will use the hard drive as a temporary storage device. It takes chunks of memory and saves them to the harddrive, then when it's needed again Windows re-loads it into RAM. This process is very slow and is best avoided by adding more RAM. 2GB only costs around $40. It is easy to install yourself. Make the investment.

Reaction score
    While 4 might be enough to play the game. 6-8 is required to experience better performance. Starmade already takes up more than 4GB on my system. Especially with how Windows works with the paging file. My best guess is thats what is causing the 5-10 FPS. When an application is using more RAM than the system has available Windows will use the hard drive as a temporary storage device. It takes chunks of memory and saves them to the harddrive, then when it's needed again Windows re-loads it into RAM. This process is very slow and is best avoided by adding more RAM. 2GB only costs around $40. It is easy to install yourself. Make the investment.
    Stahp. First, I've never seen StarMade use more than 2G. I'm on Linux, but that shouldn't be the issue.
    Second, swap is also not the issue. The problem is that without enough "available" memory, the JVM becomes more busy handling memory than actually running the code.

As Commodore said, use the launcher to increase the maximum memory StarMade can allocate.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    If your RAM is really old, I suggest you check for errors, and if there are like, a ton, I very much suggest buying new RAM. It's easily replaceable, quite cheap in some cases. 70-80$-ish?
    NOTE: I experienced serious issues with my RAM which caused my computer to derp out a lot. I checked for errors with this tool. I had about 400000 errors. ;_;