Problem with ship docked to turret

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I thought it would be a good idea to dock ships to basic rails on turrets, so they can be useful instead of idling in a hangar. The turret does the aiming and the ship just shoots parallel to the turret. This works at close ranges, but at greater distances the ship's rate of fire gets lower than that of the turret. At ~1.6km the difference is clearly visible, especially with cannon/cannon. Sometimes the rates of fire are the same, sometimes they are different and at other times the ship doesn't fire at all for a second or two. Is this a bug or is it just how the game works?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    30 degree cone coming out from the ship core position if I remember right when docked as a spare barrel on a turret. I've done this before and the only sane way to match rate of fire is for the cores to be in the same general area otherwise the firing cone of the ship docked won't line up with the main turret and it may or may not be able to see the target and fire.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I've done this before and the only sane way to match rate of fire is for the cores to be in the same general area otherwise the firing cone of the ship docked won't line up with the main turret and it may or may not be able to see the target and fire.
    The cores in my test ship were pretty close, but I guess at distances > 1.6 km the turret has to lead moving AI ships by more than 30°. The ship could hit the target, but doesn't shoot because it doesn't see it. I'm afraid I have to scrap that idea, but thank you for the reply.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    The cores in my test ship were pretty close, but I guess at distances > 1.6 km the turret has to lead moving AI ships by more than 30°. The ship could hit the target, but doesn't shoot because it doesn't see it. I'm afraid I have to scrap that idea, but thank you for the reply.
    Missile combos tend to work best for this kind of thing, same thing with beam combos. This mostly due to either close range or extreme range with lockon. It can work with cannon combos but it takes improvising.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Missile combos tend to work best for this kind of thing, same thing with beam combos. This mostly due to either close range or extreme range with lockon. It can work with cannon combos but it takes improvising.
    That makes sense, beams and lockon missiles don't require leading the target, which seems to be the root cause. Unfortunately the question is not "what to put on the turret?" but rather "how make my docked ship with cannon/cannon useful?". If I don't find a better way, I'll probably go with the still-better-than-nothing approach.