Recognized by Council Probability based instability of natural structures

Reaction score
    There is a problem in game which makes life harder for both players and servers. The problem is simple: you must mine or destroy every single block of a natural structure to make it disappear. And let me tell you that it's really hard to mine every block. Some blocks don't get mined or destroyed and keep flying somewhere in space and you can't see them. So my idea is simple: make a chance of some structure to disappear (kinda like overheating but more random) if it's really badly damaged.

More technical information:
    Mininum amount of blocks destroyed to activate that chance: 90%. 90% of structure should disappear for it to even consider self-destructing.
    Chance of that should grow exponentially.
    Formula: (10*max(0.1-N/R, 0))^2. N - current amount of blocks, R - original amount of block that structure had.

0%-90% of structure destroyed: 0% chance
    92% of structure destroyed: 4% chance
    94% of structure destroyed: 16% chance
    96% of structure destroyed: 36% chance
    98% of structure destroyed: 64% chance
    100% of structure destroyed: 100% chance, duh
    and so on...

Natural structures: asteroids, planets, planet segments

The period between each test should be set by admins, but a default value of 5 minutes should suffice.

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I don't know if randoom is such a good thing, but else I agree.

Reaction score
    Random is required here to don't make players suffer because something disappeared way too early yet somehow balance on the fact that many players don't finish salvaging/deconstructing/destroying stuff.

Reaction score
    The only kinds of "structures" that "fly off into the deep black" are Asteroids.
    The "solution" there is "TURN ON ASTEROID IN YOUR NAVIGATION MENU" then, target the ruddy asteroid.

Not "screw over players by making asteroids "randomly" vanish mid-mining.

Planet Plates are the only other "structure" that could/should be affected by your proposed solution, and it allso screws over players.

Before you respond, yes, I do see that you're saying it shouldn't kick in untill 90% of the "structure" is gone.
    That's irrelevant, because you've failed to set in a delay-timer of any sort.

Like, say, 1 minute (60 seconds) after it stops loosing blocks, then it can start making the rolls to see if it goes "poofle"
    With that delay added in, any of the type of player it would have been screwing over suddenly aren't getting screwed.

It is then simply cleaning up after the retards that "mostly" mine an asteroid before moving on to the next one.

EDITUS MAXIMUS:
    Nevermind, I see the server configurable timer now.
    God I'm missing so much obvious shit today. maybe I need to get my brain re-set.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Why not have it slowly decay? Remove a block every hour until its gone?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    well right now a asteroid will regenerate if left alone won't it? this is great so you don't have to move your base all the time giving you almost limitless mining. (now just to figure a way to tow asteroids into my sector)

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    well right now a asteroid will regenerate if left alone won't it? this is great so you don't have to move your base all the time giving you almost limitless mining. (now just to figure a way to tow asteroids into my sector)
    Not quite.

Asteroid "regeneration" is better named "asteroid re-spawn"
    Once a sector is cleared of all asteroids, then un-loaded from server memory, a timer kicks in, if it's been set to do so.
    The instant that timer finishes? Blam, new asteroids in that sector.

They appear to be clones of whatever 'roids first spawned there, so you could say, farm a larimar field.

As to Towing an asteroid. Use a Beam weapon with Cannon slave weapon with a Pull-effect system. If its a 100% effect, it won't damage the 'roid, and WILL pull it towards you.
    (using Push effect would sling it away)

Now, building the ship correctly to make use of that, that's the hard part.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Little fun fact, 1 of my first experimental constructures with rails and stuff was an asteroid tower (verb)

Why not have it slowly decay? Remove a block every hour until its gone?
    I'm not sure about the facts of servers but I'm quite sure that would mean that the server has to decay every single asteroid, in the whole galaxy.

I do agree that mining every bit of an asteroid field so it can respawn is pretty annoying. If you guys can brainstorm a way that won't be exploitable and still has the same effect it would be complete. (make sure that people can't come back every few minutes mining yet come back after some longer)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Asteroid "regeneration" is better named "asteroid re-spawn"
    Once a sector is cleared of all asteroids, then un-loaded from server memory, a timer kicks in, if it's been set to do so.
    […]
    As to Towing an asteroid. Use a Beam weapon with Cannon slave weapon with a Pull-effect system.[…]
    Now, building the ship correctly to make use of that, that's the hard part.
    Little fun fact, 1 of my first experimental constructures with rails and stuff was an asteroid tower (verb)
    Does it count to clear a sector by pulling all asteroids out?

Can you dock asteroids to your ship? (why not? they are moveable entities after all.)

I do agree that mining every bit of an asteroid field so it can respawn is pretty annoying. If you guys can brainstorm a way that won't be exploitable and still has the same effect it would be complete. (make sure that people can't come back every few minutes mining yet come back after some longer)
    Tow them into your shipyard.
    No exploit, balanced by giving enough resources to be worth the effort. No single blocks left.

If they become part of a new sector/system if towed to that (at least until some time has passed without a player visiting), players might steal asteroids from each other.
    Then a sector needs to count asteroids inside it, not use "asteroid ID – dead or alive?". But that could also lead to asteroids accumulating in a neighbouring system.

Reaction score
    Hmmm, I havent heard anything about it since they "properly" made asteroids re-spawn, but in the prior respawning asteroids setup, the 'roid did not remember it's origin sector.

This was important, because you could tow 'em to a salvaging area, mass-salvage them, leave, return, and Blam, fresh 'roids in the holding pen.

The devs caught wind of this scheme, and responded by yanking out the code that was allowing asteroids to re-spawn.

Then they finally put in the "real" version that's in use now.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hmmm, I havent heard anything about it since they "properly" made asteroids re-spawn, but in the prior respawning asteroids setup, the 'roid did not remember it's origin sector.
    This was important, because you could tow 'em to a salvaging area, mass-salvage them, leave, return, and Blam, fresh 'roids in the holding pen.
    The devs caught wind of this scheme, and responded by yanking out the code that was allowing asteroids to re-spawn.

Then they finally put in the "real" version that's in use now.
    But if towed-away ones lock the origin sector, you can lock respawning by stealing 1 asteroid from all enemy faction territory sectors.

Perhaps they jump back if they don't have been interacted with, but however it now works – there is some background quirk you have to think about all the time when planing a suggestion like "carrying an asteroid to your base to salvage there".

Reaction score
    Aye, that would be a non-negligible problem if true.

'course, I think we probably would have heard something about it if it were happening that way.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    But if towed-away ones lock the origin sector, you can lock respawning by stealing 1 asteroid from all enemy faction territory sectors.

Perhaps they jump back if they don't have been interacted with, but however it now works – there is some background quirk you have to think about all the time when planing a suggestion like "carrying an asteroid to your base to salvage there".

That's actually a really good strategy for warfare :)
    As far as I know, asteroids can't be docked. My asteroid tower was more like a Pokeball. It used collision to drag it.
    I'm not sure how the respawning works atm, but all these things sound like a bad thing for someone. Either exploit or stealing.
    I can see why we need some kind of decay system or something. keep brainstorming, don't forget the server friendliness/computer friendliness

Reaction score
    A lot of the asteroid mining stuff is on this Asteroid Wrangling: A new way to mine. thread, about the decay thing I think after a certain amout of time when every asteroid in a sector(orgin or non orgin sector) is unrendered, has less than 50% mass left, and has no player placed blocks(protect the roid bases!), then the sector will reload with new asteroids. As a addition to protect against ship core spamers if a ship has less than 3 blocks or has no power and comsumes no power, and is undocked, unmaned, and AIless for more than 5 minutes than it will start to overheat. Players that logged out in a ship with these conditions would not be affected.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    That's actually a really good strategy for warfare :)
    As far as I know, asteroids can't be docked. My asteroid tower was more like a Pokeball. It used collision to drag it.
    I'm not sure how the respawning works atm, but all these things sound like a bad thing for someone. Either exploit or stealing.
    I can see why we need some kind of decay system or something. keep brainstorming, don't forget the server friendliness/computer friendliness
    BTW: did you quote me twice? ;) Nice, have a cookie!

It is a good strategy but only nice until you realize that there is no way to track all stolen asteroids down!
    Perhaps asteroids that leave their home sector can have a decay that kicks in after some time.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    BTW: did you quote me twice? ;) Nice, have a cookie!

It is a good strategy but only nice until you realize that there is no way to track all stolen asteroids down!
    Perhaps asteroids that leave their home sector can have a decay that kicks in after some time.
    Well, I wouldn't really care where the asteroid goes, it would be used to drain mining income of enemies, making them travel further and further to mine tiny asteroids until they have to move their homebase. This is actually feeling more and more like something that should change :D

*happily eats cookie*