Power Suggestion

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The following image is a simple representation to make it easier to visualize

The purpose of this suggestion is to get away from putting down massive number of blocks for the sake of power. It allows for a massive amount of variance in design so the systems could fit in many different ships.
    It gives a number of beneficial features of real reactors while keeping it simplistic enough to work in a game of this nature.

Real reactors based on the same form of technology will increase in efficiency with increases in size. This is primary do to the loss of heat through surface area decreases in proportion to volume increases. In short volume can increase at a greater rate than surface area depending on design.

The first issue is designating a containment area. Any hull could be used for this and a selection system such as weapons grouping could be used to designate it as a containment unit.
    Containment effects on power: +100 per internal volume block. -10 for every surface on exterior.

Core matrix +200 per block -50 for every surface not exposed past 2. + 1 power for all other matrix block in same containment unit. That would mean if you had 500 matrix blocks in the same containment they would each gain up to 499 additional power each.

Power converters determine how much power can be converted and how efficiently.
    Power converter hot side acts as core cooling and a heat-exchanger. 1 hot side needed for every 4 core matrix to draw heat. Hot sides must be connected together to transfer power out.

Cold and red pairs convert 200 power. +10 for every block in length of chain. -20 for any block connected to more than 2 of its own type. In short the longer the chain the more efficient the power exchange. Chain does not need to be strait line. Ok, probably should have explained this consider them as a TEG(Thermal Electric Generator). Temperature differences on the two allows for generator on power. The temp difference in this case is provided by core cooling liquid and potentially the temp of space.

If reactor cooling fails core temp rise if not controlled an explosion can occur.

With this design one could fix the core where the matrix can come in and out or additional containment dropped in thus chaining the power level produced.

If it is deem needed a 5000 or 10000 power bonus could be added to the minimal reactor power. This would allow small ships a fairly decent bonus meaning the smallest reactor that could be made would be comparable to the current reactor of 5x5x5

The system could still be used with current power capacitors.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Wolflaynce
    Reaction score
    I'm still waiting for the new power proposal before I decide if I like it or not, so to me this suggestion is eh. There is one thing I'm confused on, where do the cool sides come into play? The only reference to them is that they come in pairs with the hot side, but not what they actually do. Unless you meant for them to be interpreted as either a shutdown/off state mechanism or what would keep the system from overheating quickly, I can't seem to figure the, out.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'd love to see this added to the existing system as an alternate power core type. I figure, the more variation, the more fun it is.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'm still waiting for the new power proposal before I decide if I like it or not, so to me this suggestion is eh. There is one thing I'm confused on, where do the cool sides come into play? The only reference to them is that they come in pairs with the hot side, but not what they actually do. Unless you meant for them to be interpreted as either a shutdown/off state mechanism or what would keep the system from overheating quickly, I can't seem to figure the, out.
    The idea was to base the system on a real power plant without making it overly complicated. While real plants use a heat-exchanger which then sends super-heated steam to a turbine that is connected to a generator that would be a bit complicated. In this case think of it as a super efficient TEG(thermal electric Generator). It produces power when their is a difference of temperature on the two sides. In this case it could be between the reactor coolant and the temperature of space.