Power & Oxygen systems

What do You think (You can choose 2 answers)?

• I like Oxygen System

Votes: 23 71.9%
    • I like Power System

Votes: 14 43.8%
    • I don't like Oxygen System

Votes: 9 28.1%
    • I don't like Power System

Votes: 9 28.1%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I would also love to see hunger system :p
    Players would need to build farms.
    farms are silly - this is the future, just clone more Daves and harvest their organs for the nutrients :D

And I like the ideas over all. I think they might be slightly overly complicated for a lot of people's preferences, but overall I think almost everyone would like the addition of an oxygen factor to this game. I know I'd also definitely like some more options when comes to how to generate power in this game.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I would also love to see hunger system :p
    Players would need to build farms.
    A food processor, for organic material would work. Have it take organic material + a mineral to make space paste. This would add a use for the mineral capsules, seeing as i have a million of each sitting around.

As for an oxygen system, perhaps one option is to build a greenhouse on the larger ships/stations, and have plants filter the oxygen. I believe galcticraft does this.

I really would love to see more immersive elements for this game, as it adds another layer to ship design, as well as gives people who play single player more stuff to do.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    one big problem with this idea... Oxygen distributors are effectively copyrighted to micdoodle8, the developer of Galacticraft. If Schine took them and added them to starmade, it would raise a law suit which most likely schine could end up losing, since there's evidence of the name and likeness as well as the function all together being in another game. It would ALSO potentially raise a suit with mojang and microsoft... which schine would DEFINITELY lose.

Reactions: MacThule

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    one big problem with this idea... Oxygen distributors are effectively copyrighted to micdoodle8, the developer of Galacticraft. If Schine took them and added them to starmade, it would raise a law suit which most likely schine could end up losing, since there's evidence of the name and likeness as well as the function all together being in another game. It would ALSO potentially raise a suit with mojang and microsoft... which schine would DEFINITELY lose.
    guess who's part of schine

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    guess who's part of schine
    Actually I'm not part of schine... and honestly I can't see how you'd be able to draw that conclusion. I'm just going by the logic of things... Take bukkit for example. It was originally a fan-made project that became the backbone for plugins on minecraft and then lo and behold... They ended up shutting it down cos they were working under the impression that everything there was 100% volunteer work hours, no payments or anything, and then jeb stated that mojang owned bukkit and everything they made... Needless to say, that started a law suit against mojang cos the devs on bukkit got literally no money or anything for the work they did.

Reaction score
    just to get people thinking here, ideas are only as good as the time spent on thinking them through.
    take the oxygen Idea for example. most people are saying its either not possible due to one reason or another. well I can tell you that for its not impossible by any means.
    1.) all space related games purely by the genre should have oxygen systems. Makes the game more realistic.
    and it does not matter rather or not someone has used the idea in other games or not. as long as the coding is not the same you can avoid any kind of lawsuit.
    2.) we already have two blocks in the game that can serve as the basic building blocks for a Life Support system.
    these blocks are the unused Docking Module and Docking Enhancer.
    You can use the Docking module as a kind of Master Life Support block and the Docking Enhancer already has the capabilities to define a specific area as the interior of the room you want to add the atmosphere to. you just add more enhancers to make the area larger.
    This opens up the question of "how would the system know what is considered the inside of the ship?"
    Answer: the first blocks at the boundaries of the enhancers bounds are considered the wall or container region.
    this container region would need to be checked by the system to see if the area has sustained damage or if a block is missing. I could think of two ways to do that, either have the system automatically check it(which in my opinion would be the best way), or connect the blocks that comprise the walls, floor, and ceiling to a sensor block and a display module to output the current air supply for the area in question.

This is the most feasible solution to the issue of adding the requested system to the game. It builds from what we already have in the game and retasks those unused blocks without having to come up with a new system entirely.

I appreciate you taking the time to read my suggestion and hope it was described well enough and if not you are more than welcome to msg me or ask for a more indepth description. Have a good day and I look forward to any comments you may have.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I didn't see anyone at all saying it was "impossible" or even undesirable.

I like the idea of life support, but think it would work better if kept generic - not all spacefaring races breathe oxygen. Making it solely about O2 is just racist, man;)

Also, since conduits are assumed for power under current conditions, I believe conduits and distribution could be assumed for life support as well. So a very simple way to do it might be to just implement a "Life Support Processor" block, make it look nice, and allow it to be placed ANYWHERE on the ship. If each block provided a certain amount of LS per tick, the only important calculation would be ratio of LS processing per tick to currently enclosed blockspaces on the entity or station.

If an area becomes not enclosed for any reason, it would simply no longer enter into the equation because we can assume the distribution system would compensate and re-route life support to intact areas. A better LS:enclosed space ratio wouldn't have to involve complex fill-time calculations (when we lag servers just doing the current calculations to fly a large ship past a planet), it could simply be a threshold number, like 1. So if each LS block provided 200 LS points per tic, and the entity had 10,000 blocks worth of enclosed space, you would need 50 LS modules to provide for those. Less would mean the whole ship had insufficient life support. If part of the LS array was destroyed, the whole ship would suffer (though I guess you could open doors and deliberately breach walls in less vital area to perform damage control and reduce the area your LS was servicing to improve your ratio.

The effects of LS are another thing entirely and should be completely server-optional.

Seriously though, this is a purely RP/survival system and not of vital importance when we are still trying to get core dynamics fine tuned and prevent malicious or ignorant players from actively crashing multiplayer servers with too-big ships and such. I'd rather see planets fixed first. I'd rather see shipyards fixed first. I'd rathe see the economy fixed first. I'd rather see collision & break-away fixed before wasting Schine's time with something that doesn't contribute to gameplay at all, just... adds atmosphere, if you'll pardon the pun.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I like the idea of a life support processor block. You don't even have to inclose it, you can just have it make one big "non dying" boundary box.