Power Overhall Using Matter Energy Conversion

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Fuel'ish System Using Existing blocks

I have an alternative to intruducing fuel and another alternative to the power system overhaul.
    The docked reactor/auxilliary debate and the recent overhaul heat box suggestion has helped me realise one thing that's been missing with power systems. And that is risk. I don't see enough risk in the existing power reactor/capacitor blocks.

We don't need a fuel, but you can use something existing as a fuel or tweak existing game mechanics to acheive the same result.

Act as fuel component Options
    • Scrap Mesh/crystal composit
    • capsules
    • lava (plasma equivilent)
    • water
    Ideally, something rare would be a good fuel.
    I thought scrap would make a good fuel component, because it is something that becomes rear the more the decaying stations are consumed.
    Sure you could create more scrap by destroying pirates and enemies, but this then turns scrap into something rare and precious. encouraging you to raid, destroy, barter, trade, etc.

Only new key peices to add
    • Conversion Reactor Chamber (CRC)
    • Micro-Disassembler (MD), however this could be a toggle function added to the micro assembler

CRC
    • Basically a matter to energy converter
    • Convert Fuel Component to energy output
      • turns scrap/capsules into a consumable that dissapears to become energy
    • Output either
      • delivered to power reactor blocks onboard as a multiplier, allowing reduction
      • or direct to ship without power reactor blocks. Allowing for smaller ship builds
      • or both
    • Maybe limit 1 CRC per entity to make it a highly defensible area
    • Maybe different type of fuel component could produce different power output
    • Each reactor output multiplied to double, tripple, quadruple reactor output. Perhaps fuel component dictates the multiplier
    • As a risk introduce explosive instability into the reactor block like aux-power introduced while output multiplied
    • Another risk could be effectiveness is reduced by factor x for y seconds like a cooldown somewhere
    • There is the potential for using this as a converter in other ways.
    • You could also have it output a byprodcut like scrap. Perhaps have it use capsules only as fuel and the byproduct is scrap.
    • If you build a ship that relies on a CRC completely for power, you would need to power it down when docked to your station or parked.

MD
    • Has been suggested before in other threads
    • Breaks down blocks to produce the very base constituent components, mesh, crystal composit, capsules
      • For any balance concerns I suggest the output is less than input resources
      • Maybe make up some excuse or something around energy requirements or wear or something
    • Allow it to use factory enhancers as with the micro assembler to speed up production
    • Or give these functions to the existing micro assembler as a toggle option
    • Ideal for using blocks not required or considered rubbish

You could use storage blocks as fuel tanks for the capsules or just store whatever for it to be converted on the fly by the MD.