Power Generator Designs

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I am using Calbiri\'s drain design. On his ship this gives him 80 mil regen/sec when it is needed. His actual ship only has 1.2 mil/sec but with 80 docked generators that each produce 1 mil.sec. He set up drain beams behind each dock so that when he needs power he can just drain the generators. Cal\'s generators are smaller than mine in dimensions, I have talked to him not seen pic of them.

Reaction score
    Using turrets as power generators is another thing. But i\'m sure you would agree that it wouldn\'t be smart to make single ship consisting of several generator boxes.

Reaction score
    If you are DOCKING 80 ships for power, how is that in any shape comparible to a single ship?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    A solid 5x5x5 cube of power produces less than something like this - about half as much, actually...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    seeing a youtube video where the author did something like what you show here, but had an entire box of those bent-T shapes filled with ever-decreasing in size bent-Ts...so that none touched another - That is likely one of the more efficent designs, but I am not sure.

Most of my designs thus far involve either huge bent-T shapes like you have, or attempts at bent-T\'s that require modification due to the shape of the ship.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    xooxxx
    xoxooo
    xoxoxo
    oxxxox
    oooxox
    xxxoox

ooxxoo
    oxooxo
    xooxox
    xoxoox
    oxooxo
    ooxxoo

xxxoox
    oooxox
    oxxxox
    xooxxo
    xoxooo
    xooxxx

xooxxx
    xoxooo
    xooxxo
    oxxoox
    oooxox
    xxxoox

ooxxoo
    oxooxo
    xooxox
    xoxoox
    oxooxo
    ooxxoo

xxxoox
    oooxox
    oxxoox
    xoxxxo
    xoxooo
    xooxxx

16526 e/sec

I dont think its the most efficient power core that can be made from a 6x6x6 design but its the best I can do. It follows a similar pattern to the 9927 e/sec design up above.

The inner core isnt uniform which is one reason i think a even numbered design cannot be as efficient, block per block, as an odd numbered design can be, but i could be wrong.

if i had to use a cubed core like this it would either be a 5x5x5 or 7x7x7

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Dammit, I just developed that design for a 25x25 core and was about to post it here. It was my first reactor too :(

Although I did make a small adjustment, namely an xyz in the center (Since mine is odd-numbered). I\'ll call yours the Tesseract and mine the Tesseract+ :D

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Is it more effective to make a bunch of cubes for your power supply or really long generators in a checker pattern?

Reaction score
    Its much more effective to have fewer large (box dimensions, so either line, \"L\", cross, etc, just as long as each block placed expands in one unique x, y or z) than \"generators\" that people like to build. You can cap @ 1 million regen with 6 x 300, 3 x 500, 13 x 190 etc.

Reaction score
    I think this one only gives 8k something, not that efficient.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is a variation on Magrim\'s version, with one correction to the center core symmetry and four added block to the outer shell of layers 1, 3, 4, and 6.

http://imgur.com/gAOL5AD

While it doesn\'t look symmetrical, it helps if you view the center 2x2 of each layer as a 2x6x2 unit by itself. Its symmetry becomes clear. Then you can see that the outer rings of layers 1 and 4, 2 and 5, and 3 and 6 are the same, with 1/4 being mirror images of 3/6.

Odd, but it works.

It\'s possible that shifting the central 2x6x2 column up or down a few blocks could change the output for the better, but I haven\'t tested all alignments yet.

Edit: Nope: Shifting the center core up and down is just creating the same shapes as already exist in the various layers, so if you build the center core first, then arrange the outer rings around it, it won\'t matter how they line up. It should still work.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    How do generators work after the 1mil soft cap has been hit? Does spamming big 10x10x10 cubes do the same thing as actuall reactor designs?

Reaction score
    I\'ve tested every config and found that the most efficient is long lines of single blocks... really long... the longer the better.

The block designs are great when space is limited but if I build large ships I just make checkerboard stick patterns running the entire length of the ship. The xyz stick design also yeilds the same power as any long stick of the same number of blocks. It seems as long as you increase dimension in at least one direction you increase power.... the particular twists and turns mean nothing... unless, like I said, you have limited space.

So now I just fill my ships with looooong blocks like this...

xoxox
    oxoxo
    xoxox
    oxoxo
    xoxox

5x5 checkerboard sticks of as long as you can make them.

So an xyz with sticks 5 long makes the same power as one stick with 15 blocks

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I managed to get almost a million from 7x7x121.

What is so special about this?:

• Even if you make a double-pyramid (piramid center to top and pyramid center to bottom) where you get the most space with least hull segments, and have 1 power cross, 4 thruster strips, you can hardly use all the energy - power storage is more an issue until you get something really big.

I want to have designs, which fit into long ships and which can be used to cover your core with additional shields from separate ships (you have 6 sides, you don\'t have to worry so much about power breaks), also used as power supply.