Power Generator Designs

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'll post the most effective 5x5x5 9927e/sec Generator Design. (Blue=Power Blocks, White= Filler (shields etc.)

If others can add the other known best designs maybe we can get a sticky post made of them all.

Thanks all! Simo

Reaction score
    would ofc be more energy in total, but much less efficient. if you fill the white spaces with shields, and build 2 5x5x5 blocks like this, you get way more energy*shields than if you build two solid 5x5x5 blocks, one energy, one shields.

Point is: This design is ofcourse not the most energy you can get out of 5x5x5, but the most stats/mass you can get out of your ship design.

EDIT: To the OP: You could try and make the Picture show the layers vertically, not horizontally, for then it\'d fit into the forums design :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I read somewhere that making you power blocks run the lengh of your ship works well, like this:

xoxoxoxox

oxoxoxoxo

xoxoxoxox

oxoxoxoxo

O= Sheilds or otehr block

X = power block

Reaction score
    Not sure if trolling or not actually played game.

+1 to that generator by the way. It\'s quite efficient for its dimensions.

Reaction score
    If you make 5x5x5 cube of power generators, it will only give you 4912 e/sec. That is half the power than OP\'s design. Good work.

I also just tried the checkerboard pattern, where all 5 layers are same:
    XOXOX
    OXOXO
    XOXOX (where power is X, O other)
    OXOXO
    XOXOX , resulting in only 7846 power. Still much more than dumb cube of generators.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    just tried a

x x o o x x o o

x x o o x x o o

o o x x o o x x

o o x x o o x x

x x o o x x o o

x x o o x x o o

where x is power and o is other (in this case sheilds)

I got 33656.9 e/sec (power) and 18795 s/sec (sheilds) usings 478 sheilds blocks, obviosly i missed a few spaces :/

EDIT, 10 x 10 x 10 box

Reaction score
    A good, simple way for one to generate a great deal of power without using a great deal of mass is to set up internal power-generating corridors.

The set up is pretty simple. The front looks like this (where X is the power generator and _ is empty space or other blocks of your chosing).

XXX_X
    ____X

X___X
    X____
    X_XXX

For the middle layers, just put a block in each corner.

For the end, things look like this:

X_XXX
    X____
    X___X
    ____X
    XXX_X

There are designs that are more efficient, but this one has the advantage of useability. Every single long, empty stretch of hallway can be modified slightly to generate a good amount of power without taking up a lot of space or creating much visual clutter. Fighter bays and other large empty rooms can be similarly modified simply by scaling up the design. It\'s a handy way to take advantage of your ship\'s internal dimensions to generate all the power you need.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Pics:http://imgur.com/a/qPcAs

The small one generates 640000 the large 1000000. The large could be more efficient but I designed it to look aesthetically pleasing (i am using Calbiri\'s idea of docked ships and power drain beams so these will be visible and I wanted them to look good)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    For a start : WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU GAMING ON A MAC?!?!?!!?

Secondly, nice designs, look pretty cool, but how big are they? dimentions?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I thought I figured the most effective power setup, but it wasn\'t anything like this! Mine gave 8746.4 e/sec, where is this extra 1200 or so e/sec coming from? I just tested some stuff in game and can confirm the posted design does work as posted, I\'m just confused. Will you please explain how this is the most power efficient design, Simo? I would like to be able to scale this up, so a working power gen theory would be nice.

Thanks for the design, by the way. :D

Reaction score
    Few notable things:

• The bigger bounding box for power group, the more power it produces, exponentially more. Having 2 separated straight lines of 10 blocks, their sum produces much less power, than straight line of 20 blocks.
    • If you have a choice of increasing box-dimension of 1 main group, or 4 smaller groups, it is sometimes more effective to increase the smaller groups. I think that\'s what happened in OP\'s design, where he made the main group box dimensions 3x3x5 instead of 5x5x5.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is actually the most energy/sec you can get out of a 5x5x5 block that we know of currently. Test it in game with your solid block of 5x5x5 power blocks.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'ve managed to get 89060.9 e/sec from a 10x10x10 box, check here:
    http://star-made.org/content/best-10x10x10-energycube-layout

Reaction score
    Ok so, i have a question about incorporating the OP\'s Design into a capital ship. Theoretically, if i place three of these 5X5X5 cubes in a row, with two 5X5X1 \"plates\" seperating them made of shield dispersers and powertanks like this:

XXXXX

Reaction score
    Reactors are terrible in general for large ships, they are only efficient for the space taken, but you can make much more efficient generators per block by having long \"lines\". By line I mean any arrangement that is constantly increasing in one axis (X, Y, or Z). So you can have something like:

xx
    .xx
    ..xx
    ...xx

or

xxxxxxx
    ......xxxxxxxx
    .............xxxxxx

or

......x
    ......x
    ......x
    ...xxxx
    ......x
    ......xx
    .......xxxx

anything that extends in some dimention will improve the amount of power produced exponentially.

So having a nice 5x5x5 is great... but it uses a lot of blocks for very little power compared to a \"line\" of power, and doing a line is much easier in large ships, just have it follow the inside of your hull as an outline of your ship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This hurt my brain to make, follow through to pic 8. after you could add power tanks in the gaps or shield generators. depends on your needs.

http://imgur.com/StSTG39,W1V6rqo,kIzy0f6,yukF4Fs,iVtMLnR,j8IE5ZM,27V9wc8,VgLjVlH#0

EDIT: This is 6x6x6. and its pretty freaking efficient (maybe the most efficient possible). When the empty space is filled with power tanks its 22302 and 14966.5 e/sec. When filled with shields Its 14966.5 e/sec and 920 s/sec.

Reaction score
    @Kossen, ill give that a try. do you have specs on that?

...also, i really like that texture in the picts, where\'d you get it? is it in a pack?

@ both Kossen & DracoNB, my biggest question is if i take either the OP\'s design, or kossen\'s, and place three of them, unconnected, how does this effect my power? would it be tripple the regen?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Just as I was about to write down specs my game crashed and wouldn\'t start backup XD, give me a bit to uninstall/reinstall.

Also, I\'m trying to find it, I\'ve since switched to a different pack.

EDIT: Kupu\'s texture pack: http://star-made.org/content/starmade-texture-pack