power costs for weapons and effects

Reaction score
    Hi there. I am trying to make a ship to shoot pirate stations.

I made a missle weapon and put beam on it then ion on it. its like 30 of each. but my ship never has enough power.

so I went to the starpedia and looked up the effects, but it doesnt say how much power they need, just what they do. so how do I calculate the per second energy cost of a weapon system?

is there a spot with more info I am missing? like something that explains heatseeking vs smart missles

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    ...or press [Delete] and look at your structure, which tells you EXACTLY how much power it takes to fire...

Reaction score
    when I fire it either works, and drains all power, or it doesnt fire and says not enough power. depending on the size of the missle group.

when I hit delete it drops one of my items for some reason, it doesnt do any info display

is there a way to get the build mode info box when not in build mode?

Reaction score
    Well i think in some very old posts there was an explanation what exactly what effect does and some details as well.

The only thing i remember is that overdrive triples the energy cost while roughly doubling the damage. (you can check these values in config files, if you understand how to read them, should be in "block behavior config")

As for the difference between heat seekers and smart missiles is pretty easy. Heat seekers do not require lock-on and go for a "random" target (might even an ally or your own turrets). Smart Missiles require a lock-on and will follow that target. Just aim at the target and wait until the circle is green and not turning any more.

In the Weapon menu (should now be under the g key) you can get some info on the weapon and its energy consumption. I get the feeling the values are a bit off but there you can see roughly the energy requirements.
    Btw. for "strong" rockets you need a big power storage as they easily require several million units of stored power (more than you reactor can provide in a second)

And "multiple" weapons (meaning firing more than a single shot) have a higher energy cost penalty, if i remember this correctly.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hi there. I am trying to make a ship to shoot pirate stations.

I made a missle weapon and put beam on it then ion on it. its like 30 of each. but my ship never has enough power.

so I went to the starpedia and looked up the effects, but it doesnt say how much power they need, just what they do. so how do I calculate the per second energy cost of a weapon system?

is there a spot with more info I am missing? like something that explains heatseeking vs smart missles
    According to this thread, the power consumption for a 90 block missile array (30 m, 30b, 30ion) should be approximately 125k per shot. There's only one output on the computer, right? No multi-tube arrays?

(How I came up with 125k: a 67-block Mb weapon used 90k, so I divided 90 block weapon system (30 blocks each of the three systems) by 67, and multiplied that result by 90k. That gave me about 121k. I simply rounded up to 125k to allow room for error.)

If the missile system is 30k (!!!) of each type instead of just 30, you'd multiple 125k by 1000 to get 125 million required energy. (!!!)