Rejected Power Core block.

Reaction score
    I have suggested this before and people werent too positive, But i think that current the power systems in starmade are too indestructible, They have no central point to them and are hard to disable. So to fix it then i suggest the devs add a power core block which would function as a controller. Meaning that power systems wouldnt be too far gone after such an update such place the block and connect it to your power blocks.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree with the fact that power systems are counter-intuitive in the way they take damage.
    If you take damage to a power system, you just loose power generation or storage capability which works for the moment.

But look at it this way. If power cores were in the game. What stops me from just making many many power cores with their own capacitors and generators?
    If there is a limit imposed, it would be arbitrary.
    If it's expensive to buy or make, then perhaps that would make people think twice, and consider protecting it more, but it's not going to matter to the big players or factions, it will only increase the effort involved in making ships. People can still build as many as they want, and all that has been achieved is a increase/cost in build time.

At the moment, it doesn't work ideally, but it works better than it would do with cores. When power systems start taking damage, you have a reduced power generation and are able to do less, eventually to the point of death. It's attrition based combat, because if it worked like it does in Star Wars, combat would be over almost immediately as the enemy explodes in a ball of fire, and that would be boring, and also frustrating for the you if it were you that suddenly exploded or lost all power.
    Currently if you want to be more survivable you build excess power. This is the only strategy currently, which can make certain ships bonkers powerful because power generators currently are dirt cheap to make. So you're on the right track.

So I am all for more complex or vulnerable power systems, but I do not believe a power core block is the solution. You need to flesh out the idea along with it's potential problems.

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    EMP effect. Simply add an EMP effect to your weaponsystems and bam! Enemy has no energy and can't do a thing.
    With this in mind, energysystems are kinda balanced I think ;)

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    The devs have stated MULTIPLE TIMES that they're not adding something like that to the game.

Stop making threads on it. If it's been rejected once there's no reason for that to change.

Reactions: Lecic

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Why would you want core drilling back? Thats all this really is: a single block that you need to shoot to instantly kill a ship.

Reactions: nightrune
    Reaction score
    Why would you want core drilling back? Thats all this really is: a single block that you need to shoot to instantly kill a ship.
    I dont want it back but currently ships just wont die! in my opinion a ship should have a controller block for every major system, It wouldnt be core drilling because the targeting ai nor players would have no idea where they even are, Same with other computers. But currently you can literally cut a ship in half and it wouldn't die, Which is unacceptable.

and BTW none of the above reflects anything i am trying to push on anyone as this thread was already rejected.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I dont want it back but currently ships just wont die! in my opinion a ship should have a controller block for every major system, It wouldnt be core drilling because the targeting ai nor players would have no idea where they even are, Same with other computers. But currently you can literally cut a ship in half and it wouldn't die, Which is unacceptable.

and BTW none of the above reflects anything i am trying to push on anyone as this thread was already rejected.
    ships dies quite easily right now, sure it's not as fast as it used to be with core drilling but it's not slow either, well unless your weapons suck.

Reaction score
    ships dies quite easily right now, sure it's not as fast as it used to be with core drilling but it's not slow either, well unless your weapons suck.
    Nowadays in order to do anything at all to an enemy you have to spread out your weapon to make it like a shotgun just to do any damage, Ships currently are tough nuts to crack on the outside and the interior is so heavily modular that it can take many hits on its own. And i disagree with that, ships should have the usual external toughness of the average Armor-Shields combo, But the inside should be weak and easy to destroy with the weakest of weapons.

And as for my want of a controller for every system, It adds an element of risk, If your power computer gets destroyed then you lose all power until you can replace it. and this should not be compared to core drilling because unlike the old practice: AI does not target computers, And a player who doesn't know the ins and outs of your ship wouldn't know either, A computer is just one block that is generally tucked deeply into the heart of a ship where damage will not reach it in most fights. So if you do happen to lose your power computer then its because you were already getting your ass kicked.

And to anyone who is worried about it being one measly block, Simply give it the HP amount of a faction block, And it will be indestructible to most fire.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Nowadays in order to do anything at all to an enemy you have to spread out your weapon to make it like a shotgun just to do any damage, Ships currently are tough nuts to crack on the outside and the interior is so heavily modular that it can take many hits on its own. And i disagree with that, ships should have the usual external toughness of the average Armor-Shields combo, But the inside should be weak and easy to destroy with the weakest of weapons.

And as for my want of a controller for every system, It adds an element of risk, If your power computer gets destroyed then you lose all power until you can replace it. and this should not be compared to core drilling because unlike the old practice: AI does not target computers, And a player who doesn't know the ins and outs of your ship wouldn't know either, A computer is just one block that is generally tucked deeply into the heart of a ship where damage will not reach it in most fights. So if you do happen to lose your power computer then its because you were already getting your ass kicked.

And to anyone who is worried about it being one measly block, Simply give it the HP amount of a faction block, And it will be indestructible to most fire.
    you do know how much space power takes up, right? and how easy it is to break the power lines, not to mention that when you lose system HP your systems becomes less and less effective.
    You need to get good and learn how to make proper weapons or shoot properly.

Also what made you think that posting this idea again when it had already been rejected was a good idea?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I dont want it back but currently ships just wont die!
    Ships die fine if your weapons don't suck.

Nowadays in order to do anything at all to an enemy you have to spread out your weapon to make it like a shotgun just to do any damage,
    If by "spread it out" you mean "give it multiple outputs that hit in almost exactly the same place," sure you do. It's either that or have cannons that punch clean through any amount of systems, though.

But the inside should be weak and easy to destroy with the weakest of weapons.
    Insides ARE weak and easy to destroy. 25-100 unarmored HP gets annihilated by even small weapons.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    People routinely cripple ships power systems in combat, even not knowing where they are layed. Adding a block just brings us back to core drilling imo.