Bug Power Calculating Wrong (Or Thrusters)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    It's my understanding that the arrangement of power generator blocks and thruster blocks require the same arrangements. This however is not true as can be seen in these two screen captures.

The same 21 blocks are used each time, 1 core, 10 thrusters, 10 power gens.

As you can see, the power output remains the same in both arrangements (1472.9 e/sec), but the thrust output is vastly different (13.3 vs 40.3).

Therefore, one of these must be errored. Either the power gens should not make that much in a 10 x 1 x 1, or the thrusters should make 40.3 in a 10 x 1 x 1.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    v0.154 has changed this again.

Now it does not matter how you arrange those 10 thruster blocks. You always get 21.2. Even in a solid lump, as long as they are in a single grouping.

Power generators are unchanged, which is completely backwards to what I would have expected to be fixed.

From what I could see, the thrusters were correct, and you got befefits from using the right arrangements, and it was the power generators that were in error.

Reaction score
    Power blocks are based on the sum of the dimensions. Basically it doesn't matter the arrangement, as long as you are maximizing perimeter. A long line would be better than a solid cube for example.

For thrusters, this keeps changing. It isn't the same as power. Last time the game let me play the optimal way to have thrusters was a big cross. Maybe they changed it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    v0.14 to v0.153 a big cross and the 3-axis arrangement I pictured here had the same output for the block count. Some of my ships I used the cross pattern as a feature, others I've hidden the 3-axis type inside the ship.

The big problem is that I've torn the thrusters out of all my ships(about 50 changed) at v0.14 and changed them to the new needed arrangement because originally I had 1 x 1 x length the same as have power blocks (best use of space and easiest to repair damage), and this no longer worked and the ships lost more than 50% of their thrust. Now that thrusters have been changed back to the pre-v0.14 version, these changed ships now only have about 25% of the needed thrust to reach full speed.

Is this a bug? Is it changing back? Do I need to tear the whole rear end off all these ships again? Do I bother attempting to build new ships?
    Come on... this is a basic game mechanic. Lets get the basics working 100% before adding the candy around it.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    There was a discussion here on the change including the new equations. It was an equation similar to power but not exactly. The new equation ment you would get a penalty if your thruster didn't extend at least 1 meter in every direction.

The old equation for thrust was thus;

( x+y+z-3) + (n^1.125)
    Where n is the number of blocks

The new equation is this:

[(x-1)(y-1)(z-1)]+(n^1.125)
    Where n is the number of blocks

Was it really changed again in .154?! I liked the new way the way it was, you could get tons of thrust with smart designs.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I quite liked the calculation used between 0.14 and 0.153 too. It meant you needed less blocks to make enough thrust, which left space in small ships to fit these new weapon systems. Mainly to get more power in there to be able to power the new weapons to only about 75% of the old DPS. These are very small ships (sub 250 blocks).

Our server's Pirate-Fighter pre-0.14