Possible ways to boost performance around large entities.

Reaction score
    I looked through the forum for a bit and didn't find anything along the lines of what I wanted to recommend. So I apologize in advance if I hadn't noticed a previous thread.

I run starmade fairly well with the exceptions of Planets and Stations. I have read other forum posts that inferred that the lag could be caused by the mass rendering of blocks and things like that. I also believe some performance issues arise from the animated blocks. (Things like Power gens and plex lifts.)

I'm no expert but I believe giving the player these 2 options would help them greatly.

1. The ability to disable block animation. (This would take the space used normally for animation of blocks and use it for other things. I am unaware of how much of an effect Block animation has on performance but it doesn't hurt to reccomend it.)

2. Starmade has undoubtedly close ties with Minecraft. Therefore some performance boosting options should also work for Starmade. One such option (Labeled as "Advanced openGL") Boosts performance in Minecraft by stopping the rendering of blocks that you can't see. I believe that something similar could be added to Starmade.

I'd like to thank the reader whoever they may be for taking the time to read this thread and those who also give their feedback. Thank you Schema for making possibly the best game to exist up to this point! Keep up the good work.

Sincerly,
    DEADLYPOTATOV98

Reaction score
    Agreed with all of this. There is no reason my computer can render Far in MineCraft no problem, but can\'t render a single planet (which is a measly 450m) in StarMade without halving my FPS (and that\'s assuming Bloom is disabled. Then I\'m running 15-25 fps.)

Reaction score
    The main reason an opengl removal button would make weapons imposible because the game renders them to calculate shots, even if they are completely covered.

Always,

-H

Reaction score
    I agree 100% with DEADLYPOTATOV98,

There is no reason why the \"rendering blocks not seen\" cant be added. I tried to record a space battle between 6 of my friends and myself, it was hard to tell who was where and when because if our ships became closer than 500 or so meters then the server would lag and some of them even got ejected from the game at that time.

Sincerely,

TFinster

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I don\'t think so. Normaly a Game consists ofto Layers: A data model layer that stores everything and can be manipulated and a view layer, responsile to display what is stored in the model layer. Just because you don\'t display the blocks (only impacts the view layer) doesnt mean that you can\'t work with them in the model layer anymore.

And I don\'t think that starmade is in this point a lot diffrerent from other games.

mou

Reaction score
    minecraft is not running an advanced physical engine and its not calculating rotating planets around system and lot other stuff

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree entirely here. I can run minecraft fine on 32 bit Java. But as soon as I go near a planet or station in Starmade My computer goes to a standstill. I have found if I look at a planet or station my lag increases significantly, but if I look away it gets slightly better even without moving away. Don\'t know if it\'ll help though :P.

Reaction score
    you can already turn the animations off.

just go to block editor under modding, find the animated blocks turn animated to false and save.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This seems even more important to me now that my ship is so large that it lags like hell whenever I add a new block. Which is a problem seeing as I\'ve only done the hull. I support this greatly.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I can run Minecraft and Ace of Spades fine on my laptop, the graphics has never let me down, however on Starmade whenever I go near massive ships, stations and planets I lag terribly. I know that having a desktop would probably solve the problem, but considering the other games work fine I would like Starmade to improve in this area. One other strange occurence I get is whenever I build a ship and press LCRTL to change the orientation of a block, I can\'t see which angle I\'m rotating the block and all other blocks on the ship disappear. This didn\'t happen till a few updates ago, so now I can\'t make angled ships :(

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Couldn\'t agree more. I hear all this talk of people wanting bigger planets and then I go next to a space-station and my fps drops to 1. Verymuch not fun. I have only been playing single player because I know if I go on multi I\'ll run into a ship made of 30000 blocks and it\'ll be able to take me out before my computer can even render it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Increase the amount of memory allocated to the java VM... there\'s an option for it when you launch the game. Also, Star-Made doesn\'t appear to render blocks that aren\'t seen and Minecraft doesn\'t have a physics engine where large objects move around, collide, and rotate.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Starmade does not have FPS issues. It runs FASTER than minecraft.

The crazy lag is when the server\'s cpu hits 100% and can\'t keep up with producing all the blocks for you to see (as far as I can tell). Disabling animations and other client-only options will NOT help speed the game up.

Only optimizing the server code and network code etc will so the server does not choke anymore on big entities coming in range/near other big entities.