Possible shield changes

Reaction score
    I was thinking about shields on my newest project and got a few ideas for possible shield changes.

I was wondering if it would be possible for shield to be toggleable. They would also take some power but not a huge amount. That way when you couldn't keep your shields up all the time. Then you would have to put them up before a battle and it would make stealth ships much more deadly.

I also noticed that in a lot of movies and games shields aren't directly touching the hull of a ship. I was thinking that maybe they could be moved a little bit away from the ship. This could have problems with large sections of intricate detail.

My last thought about shields was that they could take damage from ship or planetary collisions. Then you would land a little more carefully and would invent an entirely new class of ship. a fast attack ship with a ram. Allso not my best idea but I thought I could at least mention it.

The idea I really want the most though is the toggleable shields. Even if they don't take power to keep up I would still like to toggle them.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    1. shields take power currently

2. the amount of coding it would take for having shields show outside the ship= MASSIVE

3. I would like to toggle shields

4. This has probably been asked a few times already (just saying)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is similar to some of my ideas (still typing the massive essay-thing) where a bubble-shield system should be created so that turrets could be implemented without needing their own shields.

Currently we employ a personal sheild system which encposes every open and visible facet of a ship (ds not count as its on block and thus cannot hurt the details)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Am I really the only one who is happy with the current sheild system, I really have no problems with any of the current weapons, sheilds, thrust, or turret systems, I find it all fair.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    To me, the current sheild system is fine, as well as this, Having sheilds drain lardge amounts of power seems a bit over the top, Its a game, I dont think it needs it.

Also, cloaking ships are deadly, you just have to put a lardge turret on one(unless thats changed at some point)

Having the sheild effect apear anywhere but on the external hull of the ship would likeley lag ALOT.

and, small ships could practicly blind a ship with big sheilds by shooting at a cockpit of the well sheilded ship, and would just be plain anoying.

Reaction score
    While I don\'t mind the idea of being able to toggle my sheilds, I\'d much rather have a way to manage the ammont power is going to different sections of my shields (if that makes any sense).

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think shields should hold some time - maybe 30 seconds - in a battle between gigants.

If shields are toggle-able, I would like some smooth toggle: 20% 40% 60% 80% 100% at least. And there should be a reason - maybe disable energy regeneration if you overcharge them (125%), add atmospheric influences etc... there just should be some reason to use it.

Reaction score
    Im not a fan of the ramming idea currently. As it is, if a block gets destroyed or damaged, you have to find that one place and fix/replace it manually. This is very very annoying.

The only way I would accept ramming damage is if you could save the state of a ship, so that when you shoot it with the repair beams, it can \"replace\" destroyed blocks and automatically fix damaged blocks so you dont have to hunt down each and every missing or damaged block. Fixking a destroyed block could cost you an actual block when repairing, but hunting down that one place where it goes, no thanks. Part of the reason I prefer small ships.