Port Redding Imports - RP-oriented Shipyard

Reaction score
    This is where I'm posting my RP-oriented ship builds. While I'm hoping to make them reasonably effective, the primary consideration is appearance and RP concept.

First up is the Krait Industries E-23 Tick-class Light Excavator (Registry download)

It's ugly by design, but I hope it's well-designed. It's built to be a cheap starting mining ship, both in and out of RP; in the setting I designed it for, it's a ship no one wants to fly, but almost every independent miner does fly it at one point, resulting in a sort of "I've been there too, man" camaraderie. As for Starmade mechanics, it comes in at just shy of 200,000 credits and mines a small area pretty quickly, linked to three internal mining chests (no sorting, though; I'll have to look into that for a bigger miner). It is, however, slow to accelerate and as a result probably unsuited to planetary landings.

It has a full interior, this imgur album will show it off and also has some descriptions of the RP aspects of the ship (both relating to the interior and to the overall ship design).

Trying to fit all of that into a small ship isn't particularly easy, so the interior's not quite as detailed as I might like, but the cramped nature of the interior is kind of appropriate for a cheap mining ship...

Next design will either be the Starjumper shuttle that the Tick was based on (I know that's backwards), or possibly something bigger and easier to build the interior for. Already getting some ideas actually...

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    As a fellow builder of RP style ships I look forward to seeing more. I know the challenges of fitting systems and all the required RP elements which I've developed quite the laundry list of. My newest favorite is the use of plex door wedges as foldout cots to save space.

The last paragraph made me chuckle a bit as I had a somewhat similar situation. My first fighter became my scout, the MK2 version was a better fighter and MK3 is compacted for carriers. When I refit all my ships last week I refit the MK3 first and then used it as the base to re-build the other two previous versions.

Reaction score
    Right then, looks like the Starjumper won out in my head. But rather than make the original exactly, I present...

EDIT: Oh, I forgot the download link. Derp.

Krait Industries S-14b Starjumper-class Orbital Shuttlecraft
    Registry Download

The Starjumper is a budget shuttle intended for local usage - moving cargo from planetary spaceport to orbital station and back again, or between places on the same planet. While it is space-capable, it's not recommended for long trips. The Starjumper's shielding is designed specifically to protect against atmospheric friction, and any hostile firepower will easily overwhelm it. The ship also lacks a proper airlock, which - combined with the aforementioned lack of shielding - makes the entry port a vulnerability.

It is, however, very cheap - less than a hundred thousand credits. The b revision also has surprisingly quick acceleration for its class, making it a popular choice for intra-system couriers. Attempts to refit it with basic self-defense weaponry have been dismal failures, as the ship simply doesn't have room to house the additional generators without investing in bulky expansions.

More to the point, and practically speaking as far as gameplay purposes, it's a cheap ship that should be nice for getting to where you want to be in style, perhaps for a faction's new recruits?

As before, I've put a more detailed album on Imgur.

The ship was going to have landing gear, but since I can't connect it to the hotbar, that makes it impractical at best - especially given the loading ramp length has to account for it.

Last edited: