Polygon shading in 'lighting' mode.

Reaction score
    In lighting mode, all faces of a block are lit exactly the same. While this is useful, it makes navigating around blocks of the same type extremely difficult. I often find myself placing lights around when in build mode because sometimes it makes it easier to see than in the lighting mode.

So what I suggest is that each face of a block is shaded slightly differently to make differentiating between blocks of the same type a little easier.

Reactions: ToyotaSupra
    Reaction score
    This is a good idea but I'm going to have to pull out the 'hurr performance' card, although personally I don't see how this can affect much.

Might I suggest this (pretty good) feature be configurable?

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Yes please. Lighting mode is currently only good for placing systems and it would be great to have it efficient for hull too.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Definitely. It's getting pretty annoying to install the light system in a hallway FIRST just so I can see what I'm doing.

Reaction score
    This is a good idea but I'm going to have to pull out the 'hurr performance' card, although personally I don't see how this can affect much.

Might I suggest this (pretty good) feature be configurable?
    I'm sure any effect on performance would be negligible. I'm not sure how this sort of system would be implemented, but in software that allows toggleable shading I've noticed no drop in performance when that feature is enabled.

Configurable features are always good. Did you have anything to add to that, or would you suggest a simple on/off toggle?

Or just have a wireframe?
    A wireframe could be neat, though it'd have limited applications. A wireframe overlay over the textured blocks would work, and would help to give depth, but I think shaded faces would work better.

Reaction score
    I'm sure any effect on performance would be negligible. I'm not sure how this sort of system would be implemented, but in software that allows toggleable shading I've noticed no drop in performance when that feature is enabled.

Configurable features are always good. Did you have anything to add to that, or would you suggest a simple on/off toggle?

A wireframe could be neat, though it'd have limited applications. A wireframe overlay over the textured blocks would work, and would help to give depth, but I think shaded faces would work better.
    No, I'd personally want different levels of detail. But An on/off might be easier to do.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ever tried making a huge array of the same weapons in lighten mode? It is impossible to see what you are doing. There really needs to be a texrure difference between blocks on the same face too.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    ugh building in lighting mode with black hull is just horrible - we need this!