point defense turrets

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I was trying to test it out but missles seem to be too fast in my small vessels to observe any results.

What weapon can be used as point defense?

I see both amc and damage beams rotate after missles and fire, but i dont know if any of them is actioly able to shoot down missles?

How much damage do i need to 1 hit missle?

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You only need 1 damage currently to shoot down a missile, but only cannons work.
    Currently I find the problem with PD turrets to be that they shoot any missile - for ships that have missile turrets, PD turrets are actually contraproductive (you waste turret space on something that decreases the efficiency of your other turrets lol). Since your own missiles are usually closer than the hostile ones, the PD will go after yours.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    You only need 1 damage currently to shoot down a missile, but only cannons work.
    Currently I find the problem with PD turrets to be that they shoot any missile - for ships that have missile turrets, PD turrets are actually contraproductive (you waste turret space on something that decreases the efficiency of your other turrets lol). Since your own missiles are usually closer than the hostile ones, the PD will go after yours.
    They should only be shooting down hostile missiles, sounds like it's bugged :)

Thalanor

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Must be then, good to know :) I tested my ship against a wave of pirates, and my PD turrets went after my missiles instead of the Isanth Mb ones (I can tell as missiles are always orange on my ships).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think you can change that in the config. On the server I play on our PD Turrets only shoot down hostile Missiles.

Reaction score
    Use lotsa small cannon-cannon turrets for anti missile, then larger ones for small ships.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Must be then, good to know :) I tested my ship against a wave of pirates, and my PD turrets went after my missiles instead of the Isanth Mb ones (I can tell as missiles are always orange on my ships).
    You need to be in a faction to prevent that from happening. You also shouldn't forget to put a faction module on your ship and every turret on that ship.

Last edited:

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I'm not 100% sure but it seems missiles have a faction tag now. It means that your own turrets won't aim for those.

There is a config option that allows you to turn on/off friendly fire on your own missiles.
    MISSILE_DEFENSE_FRIENDLY_FIRE = true
    Meaning that your own faction can actually physically hit your own missiles or not, I don't think this changes the AI. The AI should always not aim for his own faction tagged missiles.

Thalanor

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Ah I have been testing this in an SP universe, must be the faction. Thanks :)

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    You need to be in a faction to prevent that from happening. You also shouldn't forget to put a faction module on your ship and every turret on that ship.
    Neutral docked entities gain the faction of what they are docked to until they undock. Faction modules are not necessary on turrets, but you should still include them on docked fighters and stuff.