Plex storage and its importance in the economy.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It seems like a limit to number of blocks/items you can hold at once, not a limit to inventory slots, would be more sensible in some cases.

Personally, the only time I use plex storage is when messing around with crafting, and all of the byproduct/materials in that.

Reaction score
    I agree, this would make the game considerably more interesting. +1 support.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    This seems like a feature that\'s already going to happen, in some form. I just hope inventory management gets implemented by then, since this drag and drop without automatic stacking is pretty horrid.

I\'d like to see the storage controller unit that can be linked with plex storage (and used as single huge chest), with option or automatic feature to use materials from inside while in build mode. Basically, when inventory limits are put in place I hope we have some automated sorting options to make it less tedious to have your stuff in order.

However, I suspect this isn\'t very high on priority table, as it\'s about convenience and economy balance rather than key gameplay feature. I don\'t think we\'re going to see real freighters unless plex storage unit holds about one stack of stuff, though. Most warships can accommodate a few blocks easily and dozen or two with little planning, after all.

Edit: come to think of it, more restrictions on player inventory would demand ship to ship material transfer system. Also, since blueprints have been mentioned, i\'d like to see them implemented through fabricator built to a station. You could have master fabricator block as central unit, additional fabricators to increase speed and enhancer blocks to enlarge reach to make possible bigger ships, like docking area. You would use the fabricator, load your blueprint and the. Link storage with blocks to the system and the fabricator starts to build your ship, for example 2 blocks per second per fabricator block. No instant huge ships, yet no manual building. You could even have it on server settings wether the fabricator requires materials or will credits do, as they work now.

Reaction score
    Economy isn\'t important right now, but its certainly a major concern once we hit beta.

Reaction score
    The longevity of what this game provides isn\'t enough , if new methods of play are not implemented then I can see a decline in players. With the current wave of new players its time to ride the wave or we are going to miss it. So yes a economy system making it less \"Creative Mode\" is very neccessary to keep players interested in the game.

Schema has already begun giving the admins tools to start an economy by way of manipulating prices and reducing pirate loot.

Reaction score
    I like it. It\'ll make amassing a fortune difficult. But like someone said earlier (too lazy to find a name), I think this something that should be implemented later, like in beta.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    As of right now we aren\'t playing this game just because we want to enjoy it, we are playing it to Test it and give feedback to the developers. Definately this feature should be looked at and \"balanced\" in Beta stages but for now it is best that Alpha Testers have easy access to a multitude of ships and a vast treasure trove of credits at their disposal.

Reaction score
    This idea would be helpful with the problem of killing large pirate shps and getting a bunch of stuff.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    This is my thinking. While it is while storage has large room for improvement the game is still in the alpha stage. There are far bigger concerns at the moment. :)

Reaction score
    While I agree, being able to carry millions of blocks at no penelty is a bit over powered, I think that if you were to cap the amount you can carry per stack, you would also need a way to extend this while still being balanced.

One such idea that came to mind was making a \"builder ship\" which you construct like a normal ship, but have maybe a special computer to connect plex stoage chests, and you can dump your materials into them, hop in the ship, and go construct your grand 1:1 deathstar.

Just an idea that came to mind while hopped up on ritalin...

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Limiting your inventory and linking to a ships plex storage would be good, This could have the benefit of being able to grab loot directly into ship storage so you don\'t just loose it all and have access to more block types when building. This would, however, require either a construction ships, ship yards, or at least you need to spawn a core, link a few plex storage units, load them with blocks and start building.

I don\'t agree with the tiered plex storage though, perhaps give each plex storage a set number of blocks each can hold then the more you add the more storage you get. The interface would need to be changed though as they would act as a collective and not single boxes.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    schema talked about this allready. He wants to make everything as cheap so that the community can bug-test it without limitations

Reaction score
    yes and no, I see what you mean but I found it very annoying in minecraft only being able to have a stack of 64 blocks it made building things a very big pain in the ass. I like it the way it is and storage is still needed cause there are way more different kinds of blocks and items in the game that the inventory can not hold 1/2 of the different items so plex storage is still needed. I use them alot in ships as temp stroage untill I can get back to home base and sort everything out. I mean could you imagin having to run back and forth to plex storage just to get blocks while building? That would be so annoying and tedious I would probly stop playing the game like I did with minecraft. Besides that due to the huge scope of this game compared to minecraft you use alot of blocks in a hurry in this game you would have millions and millions of plex storage containers if all you could have is 64 blocks in a stack or even 1,000 or 10,000 and that would just cause alot more problems then it solves in my opinion. Maybe a limit of 100,000 blocks but I can not see any less than that if a change was going to be made like this.

Reaction score
    I don\'t see how it would cause too much lag, and technically, while carrying 32 stacks of 64 square meters of cobblestone in each stack, and as your pockets are maybe one cubic foot in total space, your pockets are almost as dense an the core of the sun, if not more. So if anything, minecraft was generous with its inventory, and I\'m sure that if you have plex storage on the ship you\'re building, you have access to the plex storage on board.

wow... After reading that over, I really rambled a ton, oh well

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Plex storage should def been reduced down severely (10k max per slot etc) making cargo holds an actual useful thing in this game. Should be able to store money too.

In build mode you should be able to easily access all plex storage on that object via the \'i\' key

The end

Reaction score
    and both in minecraft and almost any other game including this one I do not see pockets on the characters so it does not have to be realistic. I would never ever risk putting anything for long term for storage in a ship all it takes is one good attack and all would be lost in the ship anyways. Running (or slowly floating) back and forth for blocks is just annoying weather its entering or exiting build mode to get to your ship or station or what not is just annoying time consumming uselessness of annoyances which takes away from the game rather than adding to it. Causing people to have to have 1000s of storage containers for each item in the game or throwing them away in space because shops are all full of the stuff cause everyone is running to them cause they have too many storage containers already that is what i did in minecraft just tossed it all in a lava pit i made.

To be fair I think it would make a good option that could be turned on or off in the server cfg that way it would save me having to get a mod for a game to allow it if it did turn into limited inventory heck might as well make it a stack of 1 and have one inventory space if you want realistic or 0 inventory space only way to get items is from things you salavage or buy from a shop goes right into the plex storage containers in a ship that would be realistic lol And it would just encourage griefers more looking for the jackpot from ships. so no matter what I would use storage on ships the same way very limited and temp storage