Votes: 26 86.7%
    • nope

Votes: 2 6.7%
    • i have a different and better solution for the empty space of turret base

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    With the new turret system, to remain the same size of an old turret design,
    we do not have enough room of secondary weapon anymore.

For example, the old turret have 150+ blocks which 50 is hull, 50 primary weapon and 50 secondary weapon
    but only the primary 50 is the barrel of the turret. the secondary weapon is hidden in the "base" of the turret.

With the new turret system, we have to separate barrel and turret base into two entities.
    AI is placed in the barrel with primary weapon. But there have no room for secondary system.
    And the turret base have nothing to fill with, or maybe power generate/ shield, more power is always good.

But what if we can connect secondary weapon by wireless logic like this:?
    (C) primary weapon computer --> (V) wireless block at barrel --> (C) wireless block at barrel -->
    (V) wireless block at turret base --> (C) wireless block at turret base --> (V) secondary weapon computer

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It could be imba.
    Slaves increase the weapon efficiency - nobody would use the default anymore. Effects too.

Also I like a minimum size of 20 master, 20 slave, 20 effect modules for the first effective turret (since you pay like 30 modules for your 3 computers).

turrets <60 blocks should use standard weapons, else it could make them imba or LAGy

Reaction score
    While I originally liked your idea, after think on it awhile I have to agree with NeonSturm. It would mean that the unslaved weapon variants would be put at a severe disadvantage.

If you were to look at cut-away illustrations of naval or battle tank turrets you would note that a good portion of the gun is actually inside the turret 'base' and that there is also a lot of empty space above a below that part inside the base to allow the gun to track up and down. Turret bases are mostly hollow armored shells to protect the reloading mechanism which happens to be the easiest to damage part of nearly any weapon system.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It could be imba.
    Slaves increase the weapon efficiency - nobody would use the default anymore. Effects too.

Also I like a minimum size of 20 master, 20 slave, 20 effect modules for the first effective turret (since you pay like 30 modules for your 3 computers).

turrets <60 blocks should use standard weapons, else it could make them imba or LAGy
    While I originally liked your idea, after think on it awhile I have to agree with NeonSturm. It would mean that the unslaved weapon variants would be put at a severe disadvantage.

If you were to look at cut-away illustrations of naval or battle tank turrets you would note that a good portion of the gun is actually inside the turret 'base' and that there is also a lot of empty space above a below that part inside the base to allow the gun to track up and down. Turret bases are mostly hollow armored shells to protect the reloading mechanism which happens to be the easiest to damage part of nearly any weapon system.
    NOPE.jpg

The primary weapon is what shoots. It's in the barrel. That has to stay. Secondary weapons and effects don't shoot. Secondaries and effects might be on the opposite end of the ship. Realistically, pumping in additional plasma doesn't mean that part is shooting. Even if it were in the base instead of the barrel, it'd still pretty much be next to it anyway.

Reactions: Ithirahad

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Perhaps this problem can't be solved with this argumentation.
    Perhaps there shouldn't be vanilla guns at all, if this will be allowed...​

Just slave cannons to cannons, missiles to missiles and make this being the default.
    It would require just 1 more slave type to give us the vanilla configuration ability back.

Since weapon computers cost like 10 barrel modules, slavers are at disadvantage anyway.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    this may be one of the reason why the rail update is taking a while.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I don't see it as a problem to be honest, it makes the current turret designs less useful, but it's entirely possible to make the same size turrets (even smaller in block size since you don't really need shields or power) with the new system. Sure the turret base doesn't have to be big and the barrels need to be bigger but in the end it's the same or less in block count for the same DPS.

The only turrets that suffer from the new system are the small ones, were looks and function will be less easy to make. Their dps doesn't matter anyway but it's just slightly annoying that most of the small barrel will be non-weapon blocks.

Also having to worry about fire arc and collision can require some (frustrating?) fine tweaking.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Design and engineering are definitely moving to the next level with this new rail/turret system.

I feel that wireless logic is more suited to systems control, not mass energy transfer.

How about adding a POWER TRANSFER CABLE block (Or using the decorative conduit block) to act like a giant wire. This block would allow secondary systems to transfer their effects to the main gun while still being located apart from the turret itself. Perhaps each "CABLE" could handle only a specific amount of energy therefore you would need a bigger cable (2 or more blocks thick) for bigger guns.

This would also add of point of weakness to target. Cut the cable, cripple the gun. All modern complex machines have points of weakness (fuel lines, hydraulic lines, electrical bundles, etc) that is why most modern machines have redundant/backup systems. This would all be part of good ship design.

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Perhaps also add a Mr.Steam-wire for Steam Trains? :)
    Little-ship builders will hate you for suggesting "this another-block" requirement ^^

I don't know if you should go so far as to require multiple cables -> it could be difficult to implement.

But I would like a power-block-group being required.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Little-ship builders will hate you for suggesting "this another-block" requirement ^^
    I don't think this should be a MUST HAVE block but it might be a nice addition to allow some of the block requirements for an effective turret to be moved out of the turret and inside the ship where they are more protected. Kind of like the powder magazines deep in the hull and lifts that move shells to the turret inside a battleship.

Last edited:

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Well they can hate me too then because I love the idea of routing power cables throughout a ship. I won't be all that disappointed if such a thing never appears in Starmade, but I would like it if it did. It could be something simple: two blocks. One is a normal power cable, and the other is a switch/relay controllable by logic. You could have separate power grids for separate systems. e.g. Someone might put shields on a power grid separate from weapons to keep a weapon power failure from killing shield regeneration. It's a crazy idea, but some people might like it as long as there were a way around it for those who don't.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    maybe there could be power cables and wireless power in starmade. The power cables just reduce power usage of device connected by 10%.

Reactions: NeonSturm