Please also contribute on GoG !

@Community: Should Schine also release Starmade on GoG ?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    Hello Devs,

have you ever thought about also releasing your game on GoG?

I'd like to support you, but I don't buy on Steam anymore for some EULA, DRM, etc. reasons.

Reactions: Valck
    Reaction score
    Oh, okay. Just took a look, but they don't have usable payment options for my case. I don't own a Credit Card, and PayPal is on my red list. Only option for me would be something like Giropay or Paysafecard. Both options are available on GoG and decided as "the lesser evil". I usually don't relate on 3rd- party payment provider - only direct bank tranfer.

€dit:
    As a bonus, distributors like steam and GoG take a cut of sales;
    In my case, I'd be okay with paying more for compensating the GoG cut - main thing is I'll get responsible payment methods.

Last edited:

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You could always buy a steam card with real cash from a shop and redeem it online.

edit: Never mind, you don't do steam

Reaction score
    This is slightly off topic, but I love the Starmade gamebox graphic! I remember when games still came in boxes.......

Reaction score
    Oh, okay. Just took a look, but they don't have usable payment options for my case. I don't own a Credit Card, and PayPal is on my red list. Only option for me would be something like Giropay or Paysafecard. Both options are available on GoG and decided as "the lesser evil". I usually don't relate on 3rd- party payment provider - only direct bank tranfer.
    That's commendable, and I feel your pain.
    Asking for alternative ways to purchase (and by extension, promote) a game is a legitimate request, and one that's most often brushed away by the communities of the relevant games. How often have I heard "Why do you even ask, everybody uses Steam these days" - no, everybody does not. There are conscientious reasons against, or reasons for using alternatives, and it is not the community's place to question them.

In that respect, I like the idea of StarMade being made available on other distribution platforms - when the time is right. I don't think StarMade was ready for a Steam "launch"; not because of StarMade, but because the concepts of "unfinished prototype", "early access", or "alpha" versions seems to be so utterly alien to many people, even if the game is clearly labelled as such.

Maybe Schine could consider adding other payment methods like the aforementioned PaySafeCard and GiroPay to their web site in the short term, without going all-out "release" with another distributor.

And yes schema, I too hope to eventually be able to buy a boxed version ;)

Reaction score
    Have you tried a gift card backed by a credit card company? like a visa gift card?

I would throw down for a boxed version.

Of there is never such a thing, I'll just have to make it myself. With blackjack. And hookers.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm a big fan of both GoG and Starmade. Two great tastes that taste great together.

There are plenty of newer indie games on GoG and I think StarMade fits the description: Good Old Game.

Reaction score
    Killom said:
    Oh, okay. Just took a look, but they don't have usable payment options for my case. I don't own a Credit Card.
    Killom said:
    I usually don't relate on 3rd- party payment provider - only direct bank tranfer.
    Huh, I'm guessing this is a state/country thing, as My bank-card is a credit-card.
    More accurately, it is a Debit/Credit card powered by one of the big credit-card companies over here in the USA.

As such, most places that "want" a credit card, I can simply punch in my bank card, and tell them to not remember it.
    (and change the card itself every other month, just in case)

Reaction score
    Huh, I'm guessing this is a state/country thing
    Yup. I'm from Germany, and Credit Cards are really scorned / uncommon over here. (Not only here, also scorned in the whole EU) But nearly everybody has a Girocard. But you can't pay online with these cards. Paying with CreditCards is a typical American stereotype. ;)

Maybe the Devs could hire a bank account somewhere in the EU, maybe Ireland, to provide a direct wire transfer payment options for all SEPA membership countries. SEPA is fully free of charges. The only downside is, that this kind of transfer is not "instant" like PayPal etc. ... it takes some hours (6 - 48) to be confirmed at the destination. But 3rd party provider like Giropay will address this issue.

Last edited:

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Most Banks do offer a giro card which doubles as Credit card aswell (I'm german aswell and I do have it)
    Otherwise Amazon (if you have an account there) offers a credit card aswell which draws directly from your bank account.

On a slightly different note: may I ask why Paypal is 'on your red list'? I personally never had a problem with it and customer security is a big thing there

Reaction score
    Maybe you should try emailing them directly about this. Considering the game is free right now I don't think there's much of a discussion to have about this. I wouldn't mind if they were on GOG but the incentive isn't really there. No offense but I don't think that a handful of players is good reason to plot out a whole release on a new platform.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score

€dit:

In my case, I'd be okay with paying more for compensating the GoG cut - main thing is I'll get responsible payment methods.
    ...You're telling me you can't go to the corner store and buy a $25 prepaid "vanilla visa/mastercard" with which to make online purchases?

Reaction score
    I don't think it would even need to be that contrived - in case you hadn't noticed, Schine GmbH is a German company based in Munich.
    You're right. I hadn't noticed this. :D

On a slightly different note: may I ask why Paypal is 'on your red list'? I personally never had a problem with it and customer security is a big thing there
    It's more a "take a responsible lifestyle" decision - like not going to eat at McDonalds&Co. because of their way of doing things [company image] (and of course that their food is unhealthy) or driving an Eco friendly car or not going to expend money, which you don't own [yet]. (Creditcard discussion)

Yes, I could simply terminate brain.exe and unregister conscience.dll to order an (prepaid) Creditcard at my credit institute ... but I don't want to, period.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Valck

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Sometimes, obeying your conscience requires sacrifice.

On the other hand, it's Girocard's responsibility to make their interface as easy-to-use as possible, and to market themselves to major online retailers, so that they become just another selection when using online retail. Maybe it's just a matter of time. However, that may be a long time.

I'm surprised that the major cryptocurrencies haven't been popping up as more common payment options. When you think internationally, the payment options popularly available are exceptionally limited. (Seven continents and almost 200 countries and there are.... maybe four or five worldwide payment options.) The virtual wallets like Google Wallet and Apple Pay have been making very slow progress lately, if any at all. And really, those online wallets are simply variations of the Paypal formula, so if you object to Paypal, you probably object to these alternate digital wallets as well.

With that said, most debit/cash cards that I am aware of can now be used as credit cards, as long as the balance meets or exceeds the amount being paid.. It's up to the bank to make it work right, and to avoid over-charges. I think I remember one of my friends being able to contact their bank to use a temporary credit card number in such a way that from the person's point of view, it was like making out an online check with a special 16-digit account number, and to the retailer, it looked like a conventional credit card.

As for objecting to using cash cards, it's just a financial tool. Objecting to using any cash card makes as much sense to me as objecting to using any hammer when faced with a nail. Now, I can certainly understand not using the tools made available by companies that have clearly demonstrated an anti-customer attitude, but other companies should be able to offer something that can compete. It sounds like European banks should work harder to provide alternate payment options that work like credit cards, specifically to enable more online payment options.