Player sized Dimensions for ships and stations

Reaction score
    Saber (on the stream) just mentioned that 900m will be the maximum for stuff they going to build for the new factions.

Then he said that most players build comparatively even smaller.

And the second statement was something that somewhat made me have a new thought:

When I am on a server I allways have the feeling that the others play Titanmade, starting ship size 200m+ and under 500m they don't consider it as pvp capable.

But in reality (here it comes), I have the guess, that most of the player build actually below 200m. The reason I have the image of so many players building only bigger than 200m is, because those players are online more often.

But the regular and casuals actually are not going for gigantism most of the time, and only around a quarter of the overall player even have built ships bigger than 200m+.​

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I think i actually finished like one vessel over the 300m mark. I mostly finished a couple frigates about 200m, and did 15~ hours work on a battleship that was intended to reach about 800m, and drew up plans for a titan that should have exceeded 2.5km, but never started on it because frankly my computer called it quits during the battleship build.

900m npc ships would be a hellova "boss fight", though.

Then again, im not a kid anymore. I have a part time job (that pays garbage) and real world responsibilities (and promises ive made to people in other games) to keep me busy. I cant play starmade full time anymore, especially since my budget grants me jack shit for disposable income.

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    The main reason why 200m+ ships are popular amongst the PVP crowd because normally said ships are around 20k mass which was normally the bit where fighting each other was actually enjoyable because it wasn't taking too long to damage each other with small weapons and it wouldn't break the game with 200k+ ships.
    Also they look good, the only ship (with guns) that I have completed is the iMSAD and I have completed the hull of several 300m ships, personally I had more fun building them than the many small ships I have built.

When you say casuals I think of people who tend to just muck around while building and go for building as many different things as they can, for instance "im going to task myself with building a shuttle today and a fighter the next day, next week I will work on a carrier for these ships".

When I casually played SM I would work on a bit of a ship at a time in my spare time, and as everybody knows at this point I built 2.4km of my BRiDGE titan, so I don't think not building 200m+ is something to do with "more time to play the game" I think its more often than not "I like building more ships than spending 2 years on one ship".

Also I can tell you this, over 500m is not really the best for PVP because they tend to lag the game, between 200m and 500m is the best bet for PVP because normally that is between 20k mass and 100k mass, yes you will find larger ships, but more often than not actual fighting is between the smaller ships...or bigger ship against bigger ship if people have the resources...

So I say the average size for player ships is 20m-600m.

But anyway 200m+ is not big, now 600m+ can be, and 1km+ is definitely big boi.

I don't know if this was useful at all, I wrote most of this while pretending to listen to drama.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    My impression has long been that PvP players tend to build over 500m for PvP exactly because they tend to lag the game, not in spite of it. The lag doesn't bother turrets much, so a well-turreted shield tank often lag-cripples any pilot actions from other players, while retaining a good chance at success itself. This is one part of why ship size scales every time there are substantial performance improvements.

EDIT: I should specify "not all PvP players by any means." Not trying to be absolute about it, it just seems a consistent pattern amongst some.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Most of my ships (very few ever finished) are all sub 251m. I have 1 ship hull I've been building forever that is a little over 300m and 1 ship that is over 500m. The 500m ship is supposed to be a carrier for drones and/or a "Command" ship for coordinating fleets (if the AI ever gets worked out). But both my 300 and 500 ships are a long LONG way from being done. Hell the 500m one is likely to get a scrap and revamp now that I'm better at designing hulls.

The completed ships I have built IIRC are all sub 100m.

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    Most of the ships I've seen in the wild are smaller sub-200 m ships. Albeit, I started playing on a rather chill survival server with plentiful resources several years after the player base spiked and declined. Most of my PVP experience has just been dueling one on one with a few other players to test out each other's designs.

Personally The largest ship I've completed was 307m long, and it took me 6 months to finish. My most combat effective ship was 212M long, and between the original space frame, and refits, I probably have a 2-3 months of build time invested. I get the most enjoyment out of building in the 75-175m long range, I can get a ship built in a month or two, try out a few variants, and be onto the next project before I get impatient.

For now, I'm just focused on updating my smaller and older ships to 2.0, and any new builds in the near future are going to be fighter/bomber sized and sub 75 m long. It doesn't help I took a new job a few months ago that was an improvement across the board from my old job, but doesn't leave me anywhere near as much free time where I'm free to build in Starmade.

I have a larger capital ship around 450 m long shelled out that should hit around 1m blocks if I ever finish it, but I put it on hold around a year ago pending the power update, and is now on hold pending the weapon update. I have a fast cruiser shelled out and full of 1.99 systems that is somewhere around 350 m long and on hold going on 7 months now for the same reasons. I'd like to finish those up before 2019, but no guarantees at this point in my life *shrug*

Reactions: Agame3