Player Controlled AI Mapping and Civilization Infrastructure!

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    *Not all of these have to be done all at once. This is progressive.*

I've talked to many players new and old and most of them had the same answer when it came to harvesting; "farm the planets!"

Say what?! I thought planets were supposed to be something special in a universe.... I mean even in Dead space where we see planetary mining the lore specifically stated that mining planets was needed but, the cost of destroying such planets was much greater than acquiring the resources to live (which meant the earth slowly fell into darkness).

So corporation's were asked to have permits for such an endeavor.

What I'd propose is to balance out how the universe is harvested with these addons:
    • Add in a new planet type (Gas Giants) - These would be used in junction to produce materials such as lights, fuel types, etc.
      • You would need a gas harvesting module applied to an orbital station that would link up to the planets atmosphere below.
        • The larger the harvesting module the more powerful the collection.
        • This also mean we would need AI to help with transporting goods to storage hub or shops.
        • Have a minor chance of generated planets to be inhospitable and so planet crack loving players can come over and farm the hell out of it.

• Player Controlled AI mapping - Let the players dictate how the AI's will work. Main concern would be the AI pathing along collision boxes (in relation to distance and speed). (Games that have done this (that I know of) are X3 series and an old game called "Shores of Hazeron")
      • Give the player the ability to dictate the actions of their new AI ship
      • The amount of ships would be determined by the amount of planets *said* player has under faction control.
      • However these ships need to be piloted so these planets will need a barracks (or home) with a "home" module applied.
        • The amount of citizens spawned will be determined by how big you declare the residence to be (much like the turret) and with a maximum spawn counter.
        • AI needs to eat so if there's an inventory in the area have the AI find the closet inventory box or shop and have them pay a small fee to eat it. This is also applied to pilots but it would be determined how far the ship is to the shop/station much like our ships today.
          • Having them eat will need farms with a certain size to produce them and AI to harvest it.
        • AI need to be happy so bring on the sprites (alcohol). If you want it to be more family friendly just call it (store products).
          • This means you'll also need business modules to produce these with AI to control them.
          • If you do decide to have beer or w/e added you could have it be a distillery and how it would work would need logic blocks or basic factory requirements.
        • Lastly these planets and ships with the citizens in them need to feel safe. You'll have to have marines or officers manning the perimeter to satisfy their safety bar.
    Main three: Hunger, Happiness, and Safety, (if you want to add thirst by all means)
      • Anything in the planet would not be loaded until someone begins entering the atmosphere first of course.
      • Give the players a LOD slider if possible so we could still see that there's something there but, don't have to generate and simulate everything all at once.
    • Better Sound Effects (Currently working on myself)
    • Planetary Sounds; wind and birds chirping
    • In game Music; pirate encounter, wormhole encounter, cycled orchestral or instrumental, planetary music
    • Better Effects (Currently designing)
    I'll update in the future with some content and concepts hopefully.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Good idea for a mod, right now it seems like to much for the devs to handle.
    Also, this removes a lot of resources for players to obtain (especially new ones) as PvE is busted and so is PvP (currently)

Reaction score
    Good idea for a mod, right now it seems like to much for the devs to handle.
    Also, this removes a lot of resources for players to obtain (especially new ones) as PvE is busted and so is PvP (currently)
    I would have to agree. Originally I brought this idea up for any modder's to tackle and hopefully create a sort of bundle with all the mods together kind of like what you have for "feed the beast" for minecraft. Brings the game to a whole new light.

I'm not entirely sure as to what you mean by, "this removes a lot of resources for players to obtain". Would you mind explaining?

Lastly all that I listed I don't expect the developer to add in just one patch. I knew this would be a lengthy process but, even if just a couple were more refined I'm sure many would appreciate it.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I'm not entirely sure as to what you mean by, "this removes a lot of resources for players to obtain". Would you mind explaining?
    Planets are really the easiest way to obtain resources, and also the fastest. Even leaving a few planets for demolition would still remove resources for players (unless they want to murder all the planets)

Reaction score
    Planets are really the easiest way to obtain resources, and also the fastest. Even leaving a few planets for demolition would still remove resources for players (unless they want to murder all the planets)
    The fact of eating all the planets would not be removed. Players would still be able to do so but, the importance of keeping a planet would increase not to mention actually giving them a role to play in the universe. You have to admit, at the moment the planets are nothing but rock floating in space waiting to be mined currently. They just don't feel alive yet and there's no emphasis of advancement.

Reaction score
    The fact of eating all the planets would not be removed. Players would still be able to do so but, the importance of keeping a planet would increase not to mention actually giving them a role to play in the universe. You have to admit, at the moment the planets are nothing but rock floating in space waiting to be mined currently. They just don't feel alive yet and there's no emphasis of advancement.
    I agree totally, but I still think planets should respawn.

Reaction score
    These are phenomenal ideas that I can fully support and vouch for. Some of these have been things I have dreamed about for StarMade but always thought the game was too 'early' to support this.

But, as of late, tons of features have been added and I think it is now time to look into planetary evolution as well as AI fixes to make them more worthy. This suggestion should be a stepping stone to "StarMade 2.0" in which everything in space matters and not just ships and credits.

Reaction score
    I think having lua scripted AI would be cool. Since currently AI is a bot it makes perfect since to allow lua scripting for advance users

Reaction score
    Please refer to my Dynamic Galaxy suggestion for a more complete version of what you've proposed. :p
    I believe you missed the explanations of this mechanic lol. I'll make a GUI design to kinda illustrate what happens and maybe a very basic concept board to help you understand how this proposal is different from the increased factions (thats what it sounded like) you were suggesting.

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I believe you missed the explanations of this mechanic lol. I'll make a GUI design to kinda illustrate what happens and maybe a very basic concept board to help you understand how this proposal is different from the increased factions (thats what it sounded like) you were suggesting.
    I understood what you were saying, however it appears I missed out the part of planetary interaction. :P

I'll update the main post soon, can't be bothered right now. :P

Reaction score
    I understood what you were saying, however it appears I missed out the part of planetary interaction. :p

I'll update the main post soon, can't be bothered right now. :p
    I understand. Btw this is a blueprint to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. I'll work on the concept right now

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I understand. Btw this is a blueprint to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. I'll work on the concept right now
    That's a simplified version of the code which controls ship movement, unless that's you showing how you want to present/setup the ai behaviours, then this is kinda irrelevant. :P

However, if this is how AIs would be setup, then that would be a much better system than the one currently in place, and it would allow me to create my automatic Jihad ships! :D