Plasma gates for hangar

Reaction score
    what about plasma gates for hangars? I want to protect my hangar from enemies...

Reaction score
    Naaaa man, Plasma Gates are way cooler! And turrets cant stop an AMC bullet any way

mou

Reaction score
    I can already see how people are going to abuse it while building their ships as a new shield system

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The request was just to protect a hanger, that\'s what plexdoors can do. I\'m all for suggesting an alternative to plexdoors, like plasmagates are stronger, or they are semitransparent and animated but just requesting something that we already have without further explanation, well that doesn\'t work.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Open plexdoors absorb amc bullets. If your base has good enough shields, you enemy will have to fly into the hangar to start doing damage.

I\'m using this on a flagship to protect the joints of turrents

Reaction score
    Plasma burns stuff. Hot as the sun. You don\'t want to fly through that.

And no one would use it to project a constant field; It takes gas and energy to generate the stuff. It\'d be imposible to keep it up for too long.

What you\'re thinking about is called a force field. As described above, you can simulate that with open plex doors and plentiful shielding.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    open plex doors act as empty space, they do not block shots, to protect your hangers you actually have to close the doors.

Reaction score
    Plasma doesn\'t have to be extreamly hot, we actually use a form of it to replace blood for doners. It is actually quite possible to create a cold plasma window, and has been done before.

http://www.bnl.gov/bnlweb/pubaf/pr/2001/bnlpr121101b.htm

Second note, i think this idea would be better for when air becomes a factor in ships. Use it like a open airlock on ships that only lets players and other ships in.

Reaction score
    They share the name but the two are very different things. Blood plasm is an organic fluid. You think they\'d pump ionized gas into people?

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    there\'s quite a big difference between plasma as a state of matter and blood plasma...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    they may be invisible and lose collision properties, but they are still THERE as an entity. Shots collide with them and by extension the shield of your mothership.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    When I saw the topic name I instantly thought of the blueish clear gates in starwars and Battlefront. If you do not know what I am referring to, my idea for a hanger door is a semi see through barrier, kind of like water, that can be flown through but not shot through, unless your ships shields are down, then they can be destroyed.

Reaction score
    I\'ve tested idea of opened plex doors serving as invisible spaced layer to create bubble shield effect around ship (like 2 months ago) and I\'ve suspected it to not work like that. But right like 5 mins ago I tested it again with better situated test \"subjects\" and it does stop those shots, it just doesnt create the shield impact effect. So now we maybe need to have that shield effect visible even on open plex doors and I think that would satisfy peoples creativity for now without some drastic principle changes. What do you think about that?