Planets or Stations?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Just singleplayer, which should I do? Should I make or inhabit a station, or colonize a planet?

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It doesn't really matter. But planets are cheaper.

Reaction score
    Planets are easier when you first start (read: don't have resources), but you do have annoyances like dealing with gravity for launching/landing ships and the lag that comes with the planet itself.

That said, I loved my base carved out of the hillside and the landing pads on the plateus.

...maybe I'll make a giant space station planet

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    space stations are much less laggy and you dont need to worry about gravity

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    How can you have been here for three years and only have 10 messages?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Planets make for good temporary bases, but even in single player I recommend moving to a station as quickly as possible.

The main reasons why planets aren't good for long term:
    1. Gravity - Pretty obvious, but it is a factor
    2. Size - You are going to be making ships eventually that will likely be bigger than the planet you are on. You're going to need a lot of room for that, and you just can't get it on a planet.
    3. Lag - Planets are very unoptimized because they're getting replaced. Being near one right now does terrible things to the engine.
    4. Bugs - More than one ship has been lost due to bugs with planets. Examples include things like parking a ship on a planet without docking it and logging out, only to log back in and find your ship fell into the center of the planet because it loaded before the plate underneath it did.
    5. Hard to Find - I don't mean its hard to find a planet, but it can be hard to find which face of the planet your base is on due to the fact the planet rotates. Sucks to be at your planet and then fly circles around it for a few minutes trying to find your spot.
    They're really only useful right now for making a quick manufacturing center to make expensive blocks to sell in order to get the money you need to start a station.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    What's a station?

Build on planets.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Generally I start on a planet on a multiplayer server and than quickly move to a station a couple sectors out of load range. My favorite spot to park my homebase is in a system that has a blue giant in it with the sun between my base and spawn. :) Always fun to listen to people burn in those. :)

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Generally I start on a planet on a multiplayer server and than quickly move to a station a couple sectors out of load range. My favorite spot to park my homebase is in a system that has a blue giant in it with the sun between my base and spawn. :) Always fun to listen to people burn in those. :)
    Bah, its usually the sound of ME burning in those when I do that!

I always try to build my stations far from the star precisely to avoid accidentally jumping into it myself.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Bah, its usually the sound of ME burning in those when I do that!

I always try to build my stations far from the star precisely to avoid accidentally jumping into it myself.
    lol I'm usually a sector outside the burn zone most times since it acts like a wall of death to stop idiots. :P Normally I'll have 2+ jump drives on my ships to make sure I don't get burnt to a crisp.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    What's a station?

Build on planets.
    A station is something that you can save as a blueprint and not lose when the server inevitably goes all screwy and gets to 3000 average ping and has to reset.

D

Deleted member 678402

kill a planet and dock the plates to a station boom now you have a planet station

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    If your pc can handle it, take the planet.

If you are worried, that your planet base one day might get corrupted and you want to save the bases blueprints as backups: Make a station.

If you want to play on a planet non the less, and if you are not affraid of some extra effort: Dock your planet base via rails to a planet, so you can save the docked structures as blueprint backup.