Planetoid Instantiation

Reaction score
    The basic idea here (yes I know it is not a new idea - however I want to gather all the pros and cons in one place) is instancing planets -- in a nutshell. What you would see from the player’s point of view would look exactly the same as when you approach a planet now. The difference being when you get close enough you would “load” a new map where the planet actually is.

Some features of planet instantiation:

1.) Approaching from different vectors causes you to enter the planetoid map at a different location. The higher number of different approach vectors corresponding to different loading coordinates the merrier.

2.) Planetoid maps are ‘flat worlds’ so there is only one down and directional gravity is no longer a problem.

3.) Planetoid maps have atmospheres (they can be very large - allowing for orbital platforms/stations) and even escape velocities. Upon leaving the planet’s surface, after a certain height you would transition back into the overworld (heading in the direction corresponding to the area that you left from.)

4.) For a given amount of RAM, instanced planets can be much larger than their overworld counterparts.

5.) Faction blocks only claim areas of the planet around where they are placed. Perhaps this area can grow/shrink based off influence/rank/etc.

6.) In order to bombard a planet, you must first enter the atmosphere layer (aka initiate instantiation). Any ground based turrets would start firing at an enemy ship when they entered the atmosphere layer.

7.) Planets need to offer some kind of benefit for the player. (Very rich in materials? Possible randomized factory production bonuses?)

I believe that if this is done then it would help the feel of the size of the game greatly. In essence, this idea would use instantiation to forgo having to render the planet as anything other than flat.

-Unknown

P.S.

For those people caught up on the mapping of spherical objects to other geometries – this is not a problem at all with instantiated planets. Read over feature 1.) above. From the player’s point of view on the planet – it will appear normal – roughly flat overall. However, from anyone approaching in the overworld it will appear round – from any approach direction. Think large, very, very large. The game would never have to render the planet as a sphere because it would not exist as one.

Also, it is worth noting that adopting this model doesn't mean that other ideas for planets couldn't work as well....but realistically speaking - this is the only way I see something large enough to warrant being called a planet ever being added to the game.

Reaction score
    -1 because i want to be able to bombard a planet from far away

also not a big fan of the loading a planet thing

i like the current system

Reaction score
    Max weapon range prevents that anyways. Current \'planets\' can still be kept in the game - just call them asteroids or something.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Also no orbital elevators, you can\'t play \"get to the choppa!\" anymore (see Rabien\'s and Saber\'s channel for that) and also breaks the immersiveness of the game. -100

Reaction score
    Why are the current planets too small?

For what purpose are they too small?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Everything. It\'s not exactly a planet if you can\'t even build one proper city on it (or have a large mountain) without being able to see the edge of the disc.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I\'m neutral on this... If there\'s a cool (and fluidly-blending) cutscene or something, then I wouldn\'t mind the instantiation, but if it is just a standard loading screen, then I\'d hate it... It would break immersion like crazy. (Ever played Star Trek Online? Then you know what I mean. :P)