• Maybe

Votes: 3 42.9%
    • YESSSSSSSSS

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Ultragamer2000

why am i still here?
    Reaction score
    Simple. Build a massive spire of (adv armour covered) power and shields (alot alot alot of shields) on one plate. Build out from that plate with a 3 thick layer of forcefield. Cover planet with forcefield (above the planet, not ON the planet). On your main plate, build a control station that will open close the field, and advanced armour circles with forcefield inside so if you deactivate those they dont deactivate the whole field. This will help against planet destroyers because the whole planet would be shielded and torpedoes would be stopped by the armour. Go crazy with shields and thickness, the thicker the forcefield the better!
    Or use multi plates so enemies have to disable alot of sets of shields!

Reactions: greatmatt
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Creative, but just thinking about doing that on each plate made my server melt down and die, and it's not even online or plugged in at the moment...

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Planets are evil. Drop a single core on one and whole servers die. Yes it sounds nice but with the current state of planets this isn't realistic.

Planets right now are the most game breaking thing in all of StarMade and have been for a long time.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Planets are evil. Drop a single core on one and whole servers die. Yes it sounds nice but with the current state of planets this isn't realistic.

Planets right now are the most game breaking thing in all of StarMade and have been for a long time.
    No they're not.

This is...

100x test 2.gif
    All jokes aside, planets are hit or miss. I've been on planets and never caused an issue. Other times, it was lag central. Planets are ineffectively implemented but their lag level depends on the individual planet's mass, its topography extrusion and any collision checks taking place.

Regarding the original post; No...

While I agree that planetary shields (as well as a LOT of planetary optimization) are needed, this is not the way to do it.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I have actually tried to build a spherical glass station around a planet. My computer stalled and died. Just can't handle it.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Done that, though I used area triggers instead of forcefields. Here's what I learned:
    -You must make you shield out of a docked entity, or all you do is expand that plate's gravity box up and out (causeing issues), and clipping into the other plates gravity boxes (causing MORE issues)
    -If your docked entity shields are solid (like plexdoors) they "block" the gravity of the plate under it
    -Spheres look better if you can only see them when you shoot them (IE area triggers)
    -Starmade can't handle planets very well, especially when you build big things on them.