Brainstorm This Planetary Shield

Reaction score
    Having practically unlimited power would greatly improve the viability of planet bases by giving them something else (besides the shields of course) that makes them valuable.
    As i said. Whatever other convoluted power hungry contraptions you can dream up. Besides...it makes them easier bases to use.

Also i just have to say it. Who doesnt want UNLIMITED COSMIC POWER!!!! (Itty bity tiny living space not required.)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Please don't let this thread die! I love this idea. Has the council seen this yet?

Wolverines527

Warrior/Builder
    Reaction score
    We do need planet only blocks this being one of them that way ground battles can be a feasible option so titans cant just blow up the planet to kill a whole group easily with little to no effort

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    For such an old thread, everything the OP says is still accurate and I believe it would be a perfect system to encourage planetary ground-battles! Please, have the Counsel discuss this, have Schine discuss this gosh darnit!

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Please don't let this thread die! I love this idea. Has the council seen this yet?
    For such an old thread, everything the OP says is still accurate and I believe it would be a perfect system to encourage planetary ground-battles! Please, have the Counsel discuss this, have Schine discuss this gosh darnit!
    Hello hello, thanks for reviving this suggestion, it sounds awesome though some(/quite a few) servers don't allow planetary bases as they require servers to load the planets in. I think that in future when we actually have more ground vehicles than the walker I made (shameless self promotion) that it would be awesome. I always had the dream to have planetary combat. What I would also like is some way to get air strikes from the big flagship that would be floating above the planet deploying fighters but also firing the airstrikes much like artillery.

Reaction score
    Hello hello, thanks for reviving this suggestion, it sounds awesome though some(/quite a few) servers don't allow planetary bases as they require servers to load the planets in. I think that in future when we actually have more ground vehicles than the walker I made (shameless self promotion) that it would be awesome. I always had the dream to have planetary combat. What I would also like is some way to get air strikes from the big flagship that would be floating above the planet deploying fighters but also firing the airstrikes much like artillery.
    While were at it, what do you think about ships under the atmosphere not having shields(or a very, very, very hard nerf)? Out of atmosphere ship's shots would lose a lot of damage if they shot through the atmosphere. This would look a lot cooler and would give armor tanks more reason. You wouldn't have that many massive ships and cannons because it's in the smaller atmosphere. More evident schorched hull battle damage.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    While were at it, what do you think about ships under the atmosphere not having shields(or a very, very, very hard nerf)? Out of atmosphere ship's shots would lose a lot of damage if they shot through the atmosphere. This would look a lot cooler and would give armor tanks more reason. You wouldn't have that many massive ships and cannons because it's in the smaller atmosphere. More evident schorched hull battle damage.
    I'd say 0 shields within the boundaries of a planetary shield. If you want ground warfare, shields are to OP per block, all you need is a few blocks and an astronaut can't get through it anymore with his little laser. The energy fields created by the planetary shields seem to have a dampening effect on shields..... not but for real, when shields are allowed on ground warfare you'll need bigger weapons, bigger weapons means bigger tanks and other vehicles which means an astronaut becomes useless. If you want anything that is close to scaled combat (as in 1:1) you can't have shields.

Reaction score
    I'd say 0 shields within the boundaries of a planetary shield. If you want ground warfare, shields are to OP per block, all you need is a few blocks and an astronaut can't get through it anymore with his little laser. The energy fields created by the planetary shields seem to have a dampening effect on shields..... not but for real, when shields are allowed on ground warfare you'll need bigger weapons, bigger weapons means bigger tanks and other vehicles which means an astronaut becomes useless. If you want anything that is close to scaled combat (as in 1:1) you can't have shields.
    Exactly. The problem now* is that shots will to easially drill through blocks. Not that they will core tanks and defeneses, but that it will ruin general terrain. It just doesn't look good and is really bad for walkers and astronauts, it unbalances everything.

One possible solution is to give all weapons a different damage setup on planet blocks. Consider a combonation of starmade damage(for aoe weapons and oval cannon shots) and something similar to robocraft, where it carves out a hole block to block instead of drilling through things. This leads to flatter craters, easier movement, and better weapon effects. The cannons don't drill a tiny hole through the planet, they carve out a chunk in a big oval shaped crater. Missiles would work about the same. Beams might as well.

* I suggest to keep more ontopic and better centered we focus on one issue, decide on something, then go to something else. Not sure how we could go back(I know someone's gona wana talk about shields at somepoint) but if we stop at a point where everyone agrees then it should happen less.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Exactly. The problem now* is that shots will to easially drill through blocks. Not that they will core tanks and defeneses, but that it will ruin general terrain. It just doesn't look good and is really bad for walkers and astronauts, it unbalances everything. [...]
    We could have the planet be protected by shields equivalent to X% of the strength of the planetary shield. We now have the torch which allows astronauts to get in places that have shields, and weapons could still destroy blocks on the planet if they do more damage that the shields can block.

Wolverines527

Warrior/Builder
    Reaction score
    Off topic but astronaut weapons are planned to be upgraded in fire power in a later time based on their class like a assault class weapon will fire much faster then a pistol and a rocket launcher being the highest ranking in fire power you can go handheld wise (obviously)
    As far as the shields go the idea was to prevent capital ships from making a profound impact on ground battles unless they can get past the shield

Which would most likely be

Destroyers
    Frigates
    Corvette
    Gunship
    Fireship (suicide drone)
    Bomber
    Fighter
    Drop pod
    Drop ship

Reactions: HolyCookie
    Reaction score
    cool I hope this idea comes true!!!!!!! I would love to for the first time make a home on a planet and be safe :)
    and cause gravity can make it hard to fly ships under the shield, if stop effect moduls do what it say in the wiki :D
    we would start to use them on planet assalt fighters to stop the gravity from pulling you down soo fast, making it
    useful cause players would want to use them to give them more control under the shield :D

cool idea I love it :) :D :p I hope it comes to the game :)
    and I think I'll start trying the stop effect to see if it works XD

Reactions: kiddan

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    cool I hope this idea comes true!!!!!!! I would love to for the first time make a home on a planet and be safe :)
    and cause gravity can make it hard to fly ships under the shield, if stop effect moduls do what it say in the wiki :D
    we would start to use them on planet assalt fighters to stop the gravity from pulling you down soo fast, making it
    useful cause players would want to use them to give them more control under the shield :D

cool idea I love it :) :D :p I hope it comes to the game :)
    and I think I'll start trying the stop effect to see if it works XD
    Welcome to the forum btw! It's nice to see new faces popping up. :)

I'd sure be using Passive Stop Effect on fighters if I had to attack an enemy on a planet!

Reaction score
    I love the idea of planetary warfare. Planetary shields can be the atmosphere - this reduces incoming fire SEVERELY, because a round coming in from space gets burned apart in-atmosphere as it reenters, and also, soil absorbs blasts and shot very, very well. It disperses force, further reducing block damage.
    Additional shielding comes in the form of a planetary shield. Very, very expensive; eats up tons of power; protects an entire planet at the atmosphere's limit (no new texture needed, just don't tell'em it's coming); is far more effective than a capital ship's weapons, and has enough shielding to survive a credible bombardment from a determined, powerful foe. Titans bring it to its knees fast enough, but not instantly. It should have a one-block "computer" and require a massive power grid that it CONSTANTLY draws from.
    It can be turned off. But you'd be a fool to do so.
    Ships coming in-atmosphere get NO shielding, whatsoever. Gravity should become more effective. Mass should add LOTS of force from gravity, rapidly overriding thrusters. Advanced armor will then become an absolute no-no unless you build a booster platform to launch heavy vessels out of atmosphere (say hello to the docked thrusterbox ... but I bet it can look nice.). I want to see that now ... got the launch of the Pillar of Autumn running through my head now, it just looks so cool.
    We'd need a new propulsion block, basically a wheel. Treads are not necessary, tracked vehicles are a double line of wheels that each eat up a sizable bit of power (less than thrusters probably by far). Also, the more wheels, the slower you turn. Acceleration depends on a "wheel setting/track setting" option (Thrust Management, basically, and that tab can be used for this) - 50% power to turning and 50% to line acceleration ... or otherwise. THIS REQUIRES FRICTION!
    Walkers become useful because of FRICTION! Because I want to see an AT-AT.
    Ground vehicle based weapons are the same as starship weapons, but again, advanced armor has a horrible effect on your ability to traverse slopes and accelerate. And turn.

TL;DR: Atmosphere severely reduces incoming fire's damage and AoE, no shields in-atmosphere.
    Gravity becomes more effective, on wheeled/tracked vehicles (using the same new block and a thrust-management tab of their own type, but can be the same one only re-used) AND starships. This will be adjusted so that advanced armor is an incredible sacrifice in other systems.
    Planetary shield: emitter computer plus GIANT power array. Basically unbreachable unless you bring a Titan. Defends an entire planet at the atmosphere's boundary.
    Friction!!! - so we can have walker battles with tanks and Warthog-type vehicles running around.
    - also needs new AI options to manipulate these complicated things.
    Gravity's effect will be so powerful now that large ships (bigger than a small fighter or bomber) will probably need a boost from a purpose-built booster pad. You'd be a fool to park a cruiser down there, because unfortunately, the Pillar of Autumn needs more power to lift off.

Thank you for reading this Text Wall from StarWars1981

IDEAS!

Reactions: Sage23
    Reaction score
    I love the idea of planetary warfare. Planetary shields can be the atmosphere - this reduces incoming fire SEVERELY, because a round coming in from space gets burned apart in-atmosphere as it reenters, and also, soil absorbs blasts and shot very, very well. It disperses force, further reducing block damage.
    Additional shielding comes in the form of a planetary shield. Very, very expensive; eats up tons of power; protects an entire planet at the atmosphere's limit (no new texture needed, just don't tell'em it's coming); is far more effective than a capital ship's weapons, and has enough shielding to survive a credible bombardment from a determined, powerful foe. Titans bring it to its knees fast enough, but not instantly. It should have a one-block "computer" and require a massive power grid that it CONSTANTLY draws from.
    It can be turned off. But you'd be a fool to do so.
    Ships coming in-atmosphere get NO shielding, whatsoever. Gravity should become more effective. Mass should add LOTS of force from gravity, rapidly overriding thrusters. Advanced armor will then become an absolute no-no unless you build a booster platform to launch heavy vessels out of atmosphere (say hello to the docked thrusterbox ... but I bet it can look nice.). I want to see that now ... got the launch of the Pillar of Autumn running through my head now, it just looks so cool.
    We'd need a new propulsion block, basically a wheel. Treads are not necessary, tracked vehicles are a double line of wheels that each eat up a sizable bit of power (less than thrusters probably by far). Also, the more wheels, the slower you turn. Acceleration depends on a "wheel setting/track setting" option (Thrust Management, basically, and that tab can be used for this) - 50% power to turning and 50% to line acceleration ... or otherwise. THIS REQUIRES FRICTION!
    Walkers become useful because of FRICTION! Because I want to see an AT-AT.
    Ground vehicle based weapons are the same as starship weapons, but again, advanced armor has a horrible effect on your ability to traverse slopes and accelerate. And turn.

TL;DR: Atmosphere severely reduces incoming fire's damage and AoE, no shields in-atmosphere.
    Gravity becomes more effective, on wheeled/tracked vehicles (using the same new block and a thrust-management tab of their own type, but can be the same one only re-used) AND starships. This will be adjusted so that advanced armor is an incredible sacrifice in other systems.
    Planetary shield: emitter computer plus GIANT power array. Basically unbreachable unless you bring a Titan. Defends an entire planet at the atmosphere's boundary.
    Friction!!! - so we can have walker battles with tanks and Warthog-type vehicles running around.
    - also needs new AI options to manipulate these complicated things.
    Gravity's effect will be so powerful now that large ships (bigger than a small fighter or bomber) will probably need a boost from a purpose-built booster pad. You'd be a fool to park a cruiser down there, because unfortunately, the Pillar of Autumn needs more power to lift off.

Thank you for reading this Text Wall from StarWars1981

IDEAS!
    I wouldn't make adv armor so heavy, with no shields I think that would make way to many instapeirce guns. More explosive/aoe damage on hit for all weapons(because the atmosphere is absorbing the shot by turning into plasma(no, we will not have Laser ablation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), weakening the target shot a bit and making area cloud damage) could spread out the damage because shields are ususally the only thing keeping ships from getting cored and destried in 5 shots. This will be even worse with smaller ground veicles becasue of their limited size.

[EDIT] changed the link. Do you know how many lazer propulsion methods there are?

Reaction score
    I wouldn't make adv armor so heavy, with no shields I think that would make way to many instapeirce guns. More explosive/aoe damage on hit for all weapons(because the atmosphere is absorbing the shot by turning into plasma(no, we will not have Laser ablation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), weakening the target shot a bit and making area cloud damage) could spread out the damage because shields are ususally the only thing keeping ships from getting cored and destried in 5 shots. This will be even worse with smaller ground veicles becasue of their limited size.
    I can see where you're coming from, and I guess I agree. Weapons blocks, then, could have additional reqs for ground vehicles? You're going to get a war of size anyways, just like a lot of shipbuilding, but Idk. Advanced armor won't be truck-breakingly heavy, but it will pose severe restrictions on mobility. That's what it's supposed to do. But no, it won't disable vehicles. And perhaps we should have some sort of damage leakage in-atmosphere, but that may be devilishly hard to code, xD.

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    And perhaps we should have some sort of damage leakage in-atmosphere, but that may be devilishly hard to code, xD.
    Well, if we can determine whether a player is going to be affected by planet gravity I bet it would be relatively as easy to weaken projectiles when inside certain zones?

Reaction score
    Gravity is an easy method to check it. The higher the planetary gravity at a point, the thicker the atmosphere. Therefore, use acceleration due to gravity in some formula to calculate shot damage reduction.

Very nice way to allow orbital bombardments without needing either realistically sized planets (To minimize the impact of a Star Destroyer shot compared to the whole surface content of infrastructure).

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I think one thing that will always be a staple of planets in StarMade is their explosiveness. We won't get rid of that. It's quite the goal. However there are other ways to discourage it, more so once the factions of the universe start appearing. Maybe people don't like you blowing up valuable landmass.

The idea is good. It's been discussed internally, and we toyed with this idea particularly. We are in agreement that blowing up a planet needs to be a major effort. I think we were leaning towards having a more natural defense instead of a man made one, however we are not opposed to reinforcing a planets defense with shielding. There are some tricks we can pull when it comes to the vulnerability of planets. Perhaps they do not take as much or any damage at all depending on how fortified the planet is. Things like that.