Planetary Pirate Bases

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I was recently attacked by pirates whilst mining for Ice Crystals. I noticed dodging fire whilst scrambling through the planet's chasms was fun, and In lieu of this discovery I thought I'd propose planetary pirate bases.

I'm visualizing them as having a large, round outer wall around a box-shaped internal structure with a tower in the center. There would be small AMC turrets on the outer wall, designed to keep out wildlife and discourage infantry attacks, and the internal structure would have heat-seeking missile turrets for anti-air defence.

There are also a few of features I think may need to be added to make them more interesting.

First off, naturally generated terrain blocks gain a massive armor boost from being attatched to planets. This is so that the AMC turrets don't devour the terrain, as well as making missiles and other explosives better for orbital bombardments, since they had a better chance of hitting the un-armor boosted hull blocks. It'll also make caves viable fortifications.

Next there are some changes to the astronauts. Astronauts should have a light shield, so they aren't immediately killed by the AMC turrets and have time to dodge behind cover. Also because personal shields are really cool and probably wouldn't work in real life. Better hand-held weaponry would also be pretty nice. The generic laser 'Weapon' is vaguely useful against other astronauts, but a handheld dumbfire missile launcher would add versetility against bases and even unshielded ships.

Finally, there's the ability to specify and prioitize what targets turrets will take. If the missile turrets on the base lock on to an astronaut, they'll probably blow up the walls, and the AMCs should prefer infantry targets to ships.

Obviously, this idea needs a little development, but I do think it's a good one. Also keep in mind this is just the way I think they should work. If you have a way you think is better, post it, and we'll see what everyone thinks. Thanks for reading.

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Why not just have Planetery Bases in general it would be cool to have a space port like mos eisley space port in star wars it would be a neat change in my opinion!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I would love more content, but as it stands the AI would probably blow up half the planet trying to fire its rockets/AMCs at you. And if there are pirate ships around the current heat seekers will track them. Also the autopilot of the AI\'s is kind of sad. I\'ve seen one repeatedly try to fly through a planet or space station, even an asteroid, instead of going around it.

But once the AI is better this seems awesome, especially if pirate ships were built at these bases so if you were unlucky you could get there just as a ship was lifting off. Astronaut vs. Spaceship (even an Isanth) the spaceship wins.

Reaction score
    I like the Idea since it is far easier to implement than NPC Villages

Reaction score
    Off topic, but I want to see some abandoned/cursed ships. Think finding the ISG Ishimura, only without creepy fleshy psudeo-zombies. I\'d like more structures on planets too.

The cities are good, and pyramids. What about 1950\'s \'weird science\' home bases on mars?