Planetary Loot

Reaction score
    I was looking through the threads and realized not very many people find exploring planets very fun. They usually just build block it and harvest the planet. However, I was thinking that there could be planets with a ship crash on it, with a logbook containing information. It would either have coordinates to nearby objects, (shops, stations, etc.) or it would have some sort of a captains' log, indicating that he took the loot on the ship and placed it somewhere in the caves.

The player would then have to find the plexcontainer full of loot.

EDIT: I just finished reading the wiki article on logbooks, found here: http://www.starmadewiki.com/wiki/Logbook and I found that all of the generated logbooks tell an interesting story. Maybe somehow you would find a shack on an earth planet, finding some loot and maybe even something unique, like a helmet with the starmade emblem on it or a uniquely powerful handgun.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Yes indeed. Planets are a bit boring at the moment, there are players that told me they are avoiding them completely due to performance reasons. I personally expect changes here in late alpha or beta state since getting more basic things to work is more important. I really like the idea of logbooks with interesting coordinates.

Reaction score
    We really need more structures, to enhance the exploration aspect. I love the idea of a 'treasure map' so +1 creative.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    The logbooks are actually "Captain's logs" at the beginning of the old episodes

Reactions: PizzaPress

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    i had always envisioned this. something like strongholds in mine craft. ruins could be a rare find and with the upcoming build block nerf exploring them on foot would be the only way to get whats in them.

Reaction score
    Hide them underground, that way people will have a reason to come down an laser it. Right now its just skimming the planet if its a earth or desert planet and decide there are no geometric shapes made of hulls therefore build block and eat it all.
    Sure, people could look underground with the build block, but at least you have to land on it as opposed to just go off to a blue money well. These structures should also have things in them with more value than glowy ice. Maybe theiranium ore or something. Maybe a natural source of hardened hull. Maybe both.

Really, every planet should have a valuable thing. That would give me a reason to land other than I want to laser it and I'm bored pew pew.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I think you shouldn't be able to salvage or build block planets. Instead, I'd like what someone suggested a while ago, that being a Mining Station you could put on a planet to extract the ore from it, which could have the speed increased with Mining Enhancers. You'd need one for each plate, and it would take quite a lot of time unless you used a lot of enhancers, which would also use power, so you'd need to set up a power plant on the planet.

I think to balance build blocks on planets (so people can still build things and terraform), unless that planet has been claimed for a certain amount of time, you should only be able to place and remove single blocks.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I like that idea Lecic , where's the post for it?
    It was made forever ago on a post about lag reduction, because it makes build block and salvager lag less. I'll see if I can find it and if not repost it.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    i have found plex storages on "Earth" planets in the new update which has a similar amount per storage as the pirate chests. the storages are found in the city plates of planets that contain storages

Reaction score
    This is cant not happen because it well be too easy to find maybe if you had load planet world then just a big rock in space!!!

Reaction score
    darkstar64 Well the obvious solution to not having loadable planets is making them rare, but not as rare as earth cities. Also, maybe having a few remaining crew would be cool. However, the obvious solution to that would be either nuking them from orbit or sending down a anti-personnel drone.

Maybe using the new logic blocks we could booby-trap the caves. I know that before the update any of the light mechs I built couldn't withstand a D-1000. Much less a Dis-Integrator.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    Sorry I don’t have any problems just try to prove a point. :D

But yes that sound nice thanks.

Reaction score
    I think that there needs to be "quests" that you can get at planetary towns for like, a modular reforge chip (not a real thing) so you have a reason to both go back to planets, and not mine out planets

Reaction score
    a Mining Station you could put on a planet to extract the ore from it, which could have the speed increased with Mining Enhancers.
    These could be salvage computers and cannons, for multi-purpose awesomeness, and not adding unnecessary extra blocks.