Planetary environments

Reaction score
    Just curious if the new planets will have varied environments, one side desert, another temperate, ice at the poles? Or are planets still too small to worry about such details, and we can expect almost a Star Wars type element to worlds defined by a single environmental trait? Are oceans, lakes, rivers a possibility?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I would love planets with mixed biomes. Probably shouldn't mix some of the more alien biomes as much (purple planet and ice planet don't sound like they should mix), although that could produce some cool but odd looking planets. They should probably have a biome system like minecraft, in that you'll be unlikely to find a blazing desert and a frozen tundra 2 blocks away from each other.

I think water elements to planets are probably going to happen once we get functional liquid flows.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    can expect almost a Star Wars type element to worlds defined by a single environmental trait?
    Just so you know, that's not a Star Wars thing. Earth is a very odd planet in the grand scheme of the universe. Most solid planets are theorized to have mostly single biomes.

That being said it would be cool if the Earth like planets could have varied biomes every once in a while. Also, let's keep our fingers crossed for fluid water worlds.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Just so you know, that's not a Star Wars thing. Earth is a very odd planet in the grand scheme of the universe. Most solid planets are theorized to have mostly single biomes.

That being said it would be cool if the Earth like planets could have varied biomes every once in a while. Also, let's keep our fingers crossed for fluid water worlds.
    True, but most solid worlds are lifeless husks. We've only really seen the most of the moons and the rocky planets of our system, but they're all (as far as we know, some of jupiter/saturn's moons are promising) lifeless. Life seriously affects the biomes of a world. Without rainforests, most of those areas on Earth would just be deserts. Actually, pretty much all of Earth would be desert. Lifeless worlds seem to all be deserts, molten balls, or ice coated.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    True, but most solid worlds are lifeless husks. We've only really seen the most of the moons and the rocky planets of our system, but they're all (as far as we know, some of jupiter/saturn's moons are promising) lifeless. Life seriously affects the biomes of a world. Without rainforests, most of those areas on Earth would just be deserts. Actually, pretty much all of Earth would be desert. Lifeless worlds seem to all be deserts, molten balls, or ice coated.
    Yep, most worlds are completely lifeless. Many exoplanets are theorized to be rocky and inexplicably hot or cold compared to Earth. I don't expect all of Star Made's planets to have life on them either. Not saying that the desert or ice planets need to be devoid of life though. Life could come in many forms, or you can go the post disaster approach and have well adapted fauna/flora for a very hostile planet.

Tatooine for example was once a lush planet many thousands of years before the OT, but then it got glassed to hell and desert-ified by the Rakata via orbital bombardment. Yet there's still crazy predators like Krayt Dragons and Sarlaac that survive there thousands of years later. Not to mention the Jawas and Sand People.

I'd like this, but only if planets got much bigger. They're too small currently.
    I think that based on one of Tomino's videos, planet sizes might be able to be changed, maybe as a startup or server side option.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Lifeless worlds seem to all be deserts, molten balls, or ice coated.
    An ice coated planet is highly likely to be a desert also, as the ice means a lack of liquid and therefore moisture. No moisture and you have something incredibly dry, aka a desert.

I'd like this, but only if planets got much bigger. They're too small currently.
    This is true. Planets are too small to have varied biomes (and they aren't really that realistic, Earth is an exception). If they were made larger, it would definitely be a possibility, but it comes with the downside of more lag (probably). If biomes varied very minimally, e.g. maximum two similar-climate biomes per planet, it could work with the current sizes.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Probably shouldn't mix some of the more alien biomes as much (purple planet and ice planet don't sound like they should mix), although that could produce some cool but odd looking planets.
    Actually, mixing purple and ice planets would look fine... you could even have tendrils covered in ice on the borders if you wanted. Things like Ice and Lava, or Purple and Desert, etc. shouldn't mix though; yeah. :P

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    An ice coated planet is highly likely to be a desert also, as the ice means a lack of liquid and therefore moisture. No moisture and you have something incredibly dry, aka a desert.

This is true. Planets are too small to have varied biomes (and they aren't really that realistic, Earth is an exception). If they were made larger, it would definitely be a possibility, but it comes with the downside of more lag (probably). If biomes varied very minimally, e.g. maximum two similar-climate biomes per planet, it could work with the current sizes.
    But now that planets are a collection of largeish plates as opposed to one single jumbo plate, biome variations could be much more doable. If we were still talking about disc worlds, I'd agree, but we aren't.

Also, would anyone like to see a Moon type biome smaller world that could orbit other planets?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I wouldn't mind most planets to stay single-biome to avoid messy places where climate changes every few steps, though certain small areas with different biome or special places/sub-biomes underground would certainly be interesting.

Regarding planets, biomes I find to be a secondary concern. We already have a few which need only small touch-ups. I'd rather have constructions/special locations/places of interest as well as different atmospheres (corrosive, breathable, poisonous, of varied visibility) requiring special equipment/protected ship as a priority when it comes to environments on different planets.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    different atmospheres (corrosive, breathable, poisonous, of varied visibility) requiring special equipment/protected ship as a priority when it comes to environments on different planets.
    Now this would be cool. Ammonia based atmospheres are probably something possible too, for a corrosive type of planet.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I wouldn't mind most planets to stay single-biome to avoid messy places where climate changes every few steps, though certain small areas with different biome or special places/sub-biomes underground would certainly be interesting.

Regarding planets, biomes I find to be a secondary concern. We already have a few which need only small touch-ups. I'd rather have constructions/special locations/places of interest as well as different atmospheres (corrosive, breathable, poisonous, of varied visibility) requiring special equipment/protected ship as a priority when it comes to environments on different planets.
    It wouldn't have to be different biomes on the same plate. You could have an earth like planet, for example, with a section of ice plates near the north pole, forest most everywhere else, and a spattering of desert plates.

Reactions: WolfChild