Planet Size & Density

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Heyo!

Been watching people's Let's plays and even played around a tiny bit. I'm also sure this has been thought of but I wanted to make sure it was at least noted so it could be considered for future feature releases.

1) Planet Size - Planets ranging from pluto size to Jupiter size. The planets I'm seeing in people's "Let's plays" appear to be too small and numerous. Would be nice if it was more quality over quantity. Have something like Jupiter has going on and add small moons and similar. Basically something that could dwarf even the biggest of people's created ships and could take three or more times as long to reach each edge.

1.2) Gas planets - For the fun of it, have some pure gas and liquid planets for "trolling" purposes. Maybe even hide some goodies within with the gas/liquid planets taking advantage of the sphere-shape of the planet.

2) Planet Density - Pretty sure this was also noted; With various planet sizes you could make one sector hold massive planets while another could hold smaller ones.

3) Planet Rings & Orbital Objects - if possible, it would be nice if planets had some form of ring going around them in some fashion, if 2D gimmicky scenery goodness. Maybe attach some orbital astroids with abandoned pirate docks? Have space rocks orbit planets.

*Been poking with Celestia, wanting similar planet features from there added into StarMade.

----

Again, I'm sure this has been noted by the two (or more) making the game and the Let's players. I simply wanted to make note of it so it could at least be considered for future updates. Hoping it will! I would love to see a Jupiter sized planet (or close to it) to venture on. Just something bigger so you could orbit the planet or have hi-tech shipyards on the planet themselves with a mini-city going on.

Anybody else thinking the same or?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    1) Planet Size - I would also agree that having larger planets would be beneficial. I would love to have a massive city on a planet, but current planet sizes limit that. As for planets with varying sizes, I think it would be a neat idea to add variety to the game.

2) Not really feeling you on this on. Unless the gases/liquids had some use to them (i.e. could be harvested for use in a factory), I\'d like for solid planets to be the only kind in the game.

3) Are you referring to having planets have asteroid rings orbiting around them like saturn and jupiter?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    - Noticed other people requesting it as well so hoping to see varying planet sizes :0.

- Oh? Ah well....Something like that and to store some hidden goodies in the core that holds it all together as a planet. Going in blind to get the goodies.

- Yes, astreroid rings. Also space stations, giant astroids with abandoned hangers and bases in them, space stations, and all that jazz we see in space movies, shows and anime. Everything we seen orbiting a planet should be considered.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The idea of havesting resources from gas giants for use with factories is very, very appealing!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Adding some variety to mining should be fun :)

Also wanted to bump this thread because I\'ve come to like the idea of giant double-sided planets - Oreas or double-sided coin - with terrain on on both top and bottom.

I\'ve seen people worrying about the sides when going double-sided so maybe shrubs or plants to hide the edges. Some planets will always be funky so maybe have some spawn oddly shaped stair-cases and entrances into oddly shaped ruins? Should help add some \"comedy\" to it in some ways.

Edit:

I wonder if it is possible to have some giant planets take advantage of the spheres by having things grow upwards/downwards (if double-sided), up into the build limit. Should be interesting seeing alien vegetation growing up, and possible around the planet, even wrapping around the edges and onto the other side of the edge. Would probably eat up the ram or whatever you guys are worrying about but should make for an interesting encounter for both normal explorers and those on the Let\'s Plays. The shock they\'ll have when they come across tenticle-like structures gradually \"crawling\" towards them at a snail\'s pace while poking and prodding the buildings, or simply going by.

Reaction score
    I have an issue with being able to walk across an entire \"planet\" in about two minutes. That has got to change somehow.

The sector system is also entirely broken due to the small size of the sectors relative to the ships and stations operating in them.

With some creative effects, a sphere-like planetary structure (or at least the appearance of one) could probably be done while still allowing for a flat surface. It\'s been done before.

Just remember, much or all of this will likely come while the game progresses through alpha.