Planet Shops causing Trader Graveyard

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I didn't realize that shop modules actually attracted traders like the NPC shops, and I put one on my home planet on my friend's whitelist server. I'm not exactly sure what happened while I was AFK, but my client crashed. When I came back, my shop had bought some random items, and my planet was littered with [Trader] ships that were just sitting there.

Sure enough, while I was checking things out, I saw that error message that tells you which server is causing lag, and it was mine. So I went around and used destroy entity on all of the traders, then cleaned the shop out of all of its items and money so I could remove it. I left one trader around after removing it to see if the trader would fly away, and it did not.

A note: all ships on our server are VERY capable of fighting a planet's gravity. Most of them have double their mass in thrust. So I doubt the ships' ability to leave the atmosphere is an issue here. It seems to be all AI-related.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The problem is gravity man. My friend found that out but he didn\'t crashed. Sometimes they might fly under the planet and after a little bit they\'d retreat. But i don\'t think it\'s a glitch, maybe the NPC\'s aren\'t affected by the thurst boost on your sever.

Reaction score
    Hi,

It\'s possible that the AI doesn\'t handle gravity properly (or at all), so the trader thinks it can fly west but only scrapes along the planet\'s surface until it hits the first lump.

I had a similar problem with my old station. I removed an entire planet except one block, then built a station with a large parking lot with a raised edge where the planet was. Traders would get close and be sucked into the gravity, then they\'d slide to one of the parking lot\'s raised edges and end up stuck there (until I kill them and loot/salvage all their goodies). It was a little like a spider web for traders (and players with bad ships that don\'t have enough thrust), and I didn\'t mind that (free goodies!).