Bug Planet Parts Not Spawning

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Recently in singleplayer and on servers, we have changed the size of our radii on the plants from a Gaussian distribution of 250m to 300m. The results were unfortunate, and now they cannot be changed back.

Every time I approach a planet, only the planet core is shown. The planet parts appear in navigation, however they are not loaded. After, if I leave the sector, or if I'm still in it, any other entities I come across refuse to load. If I approach a station, it refuses to load. If I spawn a new ship, it refuses to load. Relogging makes the situation worse, in which you end up stuck at your spawn screen until the entities are deleted. However, other entities still do not load.

We are forced to restart our sever more than three times a day in order to remove this error, however it is out of our control to fix it.

Here is the bug I reported:
    http://bugs.star-made.org/issues/1767

Please click "Agree" if you have experienced the same issue, and please reply with back-up evidence relating to this bug.

Sincerely,
    AdmiralGialAckbar00
    StarMade Dock Messenger
    Alliance to Restore the Republic

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    i was not able to reproduce this on SP. do you experience this on SP as well? or only MP?

in order to test i loaded my test universe, went to a new planet and it loaded fine. closed the game, then upped planet Gaussian size to 300 (as you mentioned in the forum thread) and visited another new planet. this one loaded fine as well.

could you ask server admin to provide a log if possible? is this being experienced on multiple servers? or just the one?

thank you for any feedback.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    i was not able to reproduce this on SP. do you experience this on SP as well? or only MP?

in order to test i loaded my test universe, went to a new planet and it loaded fine. closed the game, then upped planet Gaussian size to 300 (as you mentioned in the forum thread) and visited another new planet. this one loaded fine as well.

could you ask server admin to provide a log if possible? is this being experienced on multiple servers? or just the one?

thank you for any feedback.
    Firstly, thank you for taking the time to solve this issue.

And yes, I have been experiencing the same issue in singleplayer. Currently our server is having issues starting up at the moment, so I cannot connect right now. However, I do have the code I changed in the server.cfg:

PLANET_SIZE_MEAN = 300.0 //Planet size mean (normal gaussian distribution) (min 50)
    PLANET_SIZE_DEVIATION = 0.0 //Planet size standard deviation (normal gaussian distribution) (min 0)

At these settings, no planet parts would spawn. I'll try to get you the log if I can.

Reaction score
    hmm, at first i was going to say maybe the issue is a deviation of 0, but after a test, a new planet still loaded fine for me with it at 0.

do planets youv generated previously still render? you mentioned other entities not rendering either? is this an on and off issue? (like does it happen sometimes, and other times not. or does it happen all the time rendering the game useless?)

im trying to come up with different reasons for why that might be happening. and questions to help me and the other testers eliminate possibilities. im assuming your drivers are all upto date? does this happen for everyone on the server? how many ppl average on the server? this happens even when creating a new universe?

in the mean time perhaps try backing up your entire SM folder, and reinstall the game. you can just create a new universe and quickly admin TP to a nearby planet and see what happens. but if its happening to multiple people then its probably not your install.

ill keep at it but any info you could provide should help us figure it out. but at this point iv not been able to replicate the problem.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    hmm, at first i was going to say maybe the issue is a deviation of 0, but after a test, a new planet still loaded fine for me with it at 0.

do planets youv generated previously still render? you mentioned other entities not rendering either? is this an on and off issue? (like does it happen sometimes, and other times not. or does it happen all the time rendering the game useless?)

im trying to come up with different reasons for why that might be happening. and questions to help me and the other testers eliminate possibilities. im assuming your drivers are all upto date? does this happen for everyone on the server? how many ppl average on the server? this happens even when creating a new universe?

in the mean time perhaps try backing up your entire SM folder, and reinstall the game. you can just create a new universe and quickly admin TP to a nearby planet and see what happens. but if its happening to multiple people then its probably not your install.

ill keep at it but any info you could provide should help us figure it out. but at this point iv not been able to replicate the problem.
    Planets I generate still do not render, and after I visit a planet that doesn't load, all other entities I come across are not loaded. It's been repetitive ever since. The same issue has been occurring with others on the multiplayer server. We're currently under construction, so we get 1-4 people average daily.

I know my computer is up to date, so I'll backup my SP and reinstall the game and see if there is any change.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    The server admin just went to a planet which has not rendered, logged off, and retrieved the log. The log does not even contain any information of the planet, only nearby entities. Does this help you at all, OdraNoel ?