Planet Contesting

Reaction score
    During a "lan party" I found it to be enjoyable for every person to begin the game on one planet each with no items or money and the goal of the game was for one player to "own" the whole planet by whatever means necessary. Unfortunately, only one faction could own the planet/planet segments, so thas meant we couldn't do a battle with turrets defending our bases.

My suggestion is simple, really. I want it so that if there's only one Faction Module on the planet, then the faction that placed it owns the whole planet. If there are two or more, then it's swapped to a segment by segment faction ownership. This will mean there's a reason for planetary warfare.

Now, in order to keep this feature from being exploited, if it's set to faction homebase, then no person can place a Faction Module on the entire planet. Perhaps the setting of planet claiming and segment claiming could be switched off, just for people who are not interested in an action that may deem tedious.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I like this idea. This + giving planet cores a server-adjustable armor effect would open the doors to some fun planetary battles.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    My suggestion is simple, really. I want it so that if there's only one Faction Module on the planet, then the faction that placed it owns the whole planet. If there are two or more, then it's swapped to a segment by segment faction ownership. This will mean there's a reason for planetary warfare.
    Having one faction module on a planet disables building for others factions, how would a second module be built? That's my only issue with this idea current mechanics make it impossible. How can it switch to per segment if you cannot place the second module?

Reaction score
    Having one faction module on a planet disables building for others factions, how would a second module be built? That's my only issue with this idea current mechanics make it impossible. How can it switch to per segment if you cannot place the second module?
    I should clarify further. What I'm asking is that it will allow other factions to claim segments that do not have a faction module on them already, but only if the planet is not a faction homebase. Here's a scenario:

Faction 1 claims a space station and sets it as a homebase.
    Faction 1 then claims a planet segment (because they already have a homebase, they can't take the entire planet with one module by setting it as their homebase)
    Faction 2 wants the planet too, so they go and take some segments (because Faction 1 owns only a couple of the segments, they can still place modules).

I like this idea. This + giving planet cores a server-adjustable armor effect would open the doors to some fun planetary battles.
    I agree, that would be a great idea too! Especially if they make planets even more valuable by adding some sort of long term planet use such as the long suggested planet harvesting/deep core miner module.