Read by Schine Pirates own systems by default

Reaction score
    Y'know, they have multiple staff members. It's not like it's the programmers themselves that're doing the balancing and tweaking. That's the job of the other team members. You know, the ones who can't program or add features themselves? The ones that you and RabidBat are consistently forgetting exist?
    No I do not forget they exist and oddly enough after a few decades playing and play testing games I kind of know how the industry works. Programmers, 3D artists, 2D artists, story writers, sound production, the tea lady, producers, publishers etc etc etc. Kind of like any business out there, different departments doing different things to keep the whole industrial machine rolling.
    But I thank you as both you and Bench both make an important point that I have addressed elsewhere and shows exactly why so much is going wrong with this games development.

These people constantly rebalancing things, who cannot wait to foist them on the paying public who do not want them. It sounds like doing shit to keep in work for the sake of having the job. It's a bit like when someone explaining some 3D artists at Schine and the things they were doing a while back. Which was essentially. "They need something to do."

It's like I hire freelancers from time to time to help me work on web sites. If I am too busy to do say some graphics,or some coding I need is being an issue and I cannot get to grips with it, and various other reasons I hire people to help me out. "Hey guy, here's some dollars, make me a banner."

So this guy makes me a banner, and that is all I needed of him. But instead of saying "Goodbye and thanks for all the fish. Until next time." For the sake of purple, rainbow unicorn farts and the glorious FSM (all hail his noodly appendage goodness :p) "I say hang on, here's more money, just sit around the office and maybe draw some pictures because why the hell not." And he works because and why not?
    After all I do not need his work, I have everything I need from him. And I would really hate to see the guy have to find another job or just sitting around twiddling his thumbs or doing something useful.

So now I have a big pile of drawings and a hard drive full of his Deviant Art portfolio for the next 10 years on my hard drive. So hey what am I going to do with it?

I know, I just start embedding into all my clients websites.
    Because hey, it needs to go somewhere, because hey, he needs the work.
    Not that the clients need or want it, but who gives a fuck about them right?
    Sheesh they should be grateful for these free graphics they never needed or wanted because Bob, yes he's called Bob, has something to do.

And if my clients complain I'll just tell them.
    "Hey shut the fudge up, what do you know about web design, graphic design or hosting? NOTHING I TELL YOU! plus think of Bob, BOB NEEDS THE WORK DAMMIT!!!!", without me Bob's life is over. I mean what's he going to do? Just leave and find another job. ARE YOU CRAZY? THIS IS BOB WE'RE TALKING ABOUT HERE! And man do not get me started on Maureen the Tea Lady, I only drink coffee, but think of her children. I think of her kids, it's why she stays in the office despite me not drinking tea. Because you know, she's a tea lady. It's what she does. So she should stay and make me tea. Because you know, purple. o_Oo_Oo_O

And that is exactly how it comes across when we're told, "hey we have guys whose sole job is to rebalance shit,essentially change numbers in text files and fudge your game, because you know, it's what they do and purple, but hey do not worry they are fudging the game and changing those numbers for no reason, IT'S THEIR JOB. They need something to do because saying to them, 'Good bye and thanks for all the fish, see you when we need you' is so hard to do." o_Oo_Oo_O

See how nutso that seems to a moderately sane person? I mean it seems nutso to me and I am far from sane :confused:, so I can only imagine sane peoples brains are melting at that logic. :p

Actually I sacked Bob, spent the money I saved doing so and hired someone who can actually do something for me and grow my business. I know I know, poor Bob and I am a terrible man. Damn my common sense. :rolleyes:

Obviously he doesn't, since he is expecting feature complete gameplay. The fact that we have 'gameplay' at all is something of a minor miracle. This is not something you can reasonably expect from an alpha level program.

[sarcasm]It's a pity Schine has no idea how to make this game and Bench wasted all of his time writing those useless planning docs.[/sarcasm]
    When you have to point out sarcasm you're doing it wrong. Also where have I said expecting feature rich game play? I would love for you to show me. ;)

Oh I wait I see, I say adding BASIC game play along side the updating and bug testing is me wanting a full featured game.
    Like I say, when you say the sky is blue and mean it. Someone will always come along and tell you you said the sky is red and are completely wrong in knowing your own mind. o_O

I'll not bother with the rest of your post. When someone cannot be bothered to fully read my posts but fully replies to them, and then tries to tell me exactly what I meant from reading every 2nd or 3rd sentence I kind of lose all urges to read their material and take it seriously. ;)

I'd insert the [sarcasm] pointers, but you at some point need to take the training wheels off and ride the bike yourself. You can do it kiraen . The FSM and I believe in you. :cool: Just keep on peddling. :D

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    on the paying public who do not want them.
    speak for yourself

most of the rebalances are things that're near mandatory for continued balanced gameplay, and the gameplay mechanics currently heavily favor a few specific setups that're effective in every possible scenario (though, the rebalancing has been drastically reducing that problem)

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    While it's true each team has a focus, everyone works on multiple things at once. For example our modeling team also assists with in-game assets, and our rebalancing team also has been handling a lot of the development of the economy and FP systems.

All I can say is that since I've been driving the ship the direction as a dev team has been working towards has been fairly consistant. That's not trying to big note myself, merely to express that you can't really compare prior to then and now as they're two different methods of directing development. Needless to say we're working towards some exciting things and I can't wait too see them roll out.

Reaction score
    While it's true each team has a focus, everyone works on multiple things at once. For example our modeling team also assists with in-game assets, and our rebalancing team also has been handling a lot of the development of the economy and FP systems.

All I can say is that since I've been driving the ship the direction as a dev team has been working towards has been fairly consistant. That's not trying to big note myself, merely to express that you can't really compare prior to then and now as they're two different methods of directing development. Needless to say we're working towards some exciting things and I can't wait too see them roll out.
    I cannot wait to see them myself. And with you at the helm I have high hopes. But yes, call me jaded likie with Jesus, I will have to wait until I see it to believe it. Not trying to be an ass here or negative towards SM or Schine, I mean I do like the game, hence me playing it and being here. But sometimes you just have to call things as you see them. I will honestly be the first person who piles on the praise when the AI, faction points etc are working as intended. But it does seriously need to be looked at ASAP, top of the list kind of thing in regards to Pirate and Trade ship spawning and functionality.

Also no probs with people being multi-role. But please stop them messing with things for the hell of it. ;)

I would like to visit your universe some day. The laws of physics must be fun.
    No you should stay away, it would freak you out as it is dictated by fact, logic, common sense and reading ability. I don't want to be responsible for peoples brains melting. That's just waaaay too much pressure for me man. But call me some time, I will let you pet my unicorn. :D

Nice avoidance of showing me where I want a full feature game though. GJ ;)

Reaction score
    im in the same boat(or maybe i should say ship) as rabidbat, we need things to get players to stay or even come back. i wanna see this game continue, not be another forgotten title.

the server im playing on, we have easily lost 50 players during the past year. we did have some just recently come back, but the rest of their factions are waiting for quest like systems.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1452737870,1452737714][/DOUBLEPOST]and to add onto the threads topic, pirates shouldnt own every system. they should have areas like the other factions but keep areas free of control so players can fit inbetween.

pirates and other factions could even have higher resource pools/bigger stations for risk vs reward