Pirate Mechanics

Reaction score
    I really dislike the pirates in the game. So I made my own fleet for my friends and I to fight. I am having some issues with the ships I've been making. Can anyone answer these questions for me?

1. Can Pirate ships use Jump Drive Inhibitors? If not what else can't they use?

2. All my pirates seem to attempt to orbit at 1500 away. That is out of range of some guns. Can this be changed?

3. Can I change the Accuracy of certain ships or Certain guns?

4. Can turrets use Jump Drive Inhibitors? If so can pirates use them that way?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    1) No, the AI can only use standard guns. They cannot use defensive effects, scanners, jump drives, jump inhibitors, cloak or radar jammers.

2) What guns are they equipped with? Their engagement range should be determined by their guns.

3) No, you only have one AI accuracy setting. I do hope there would be ways to vary this in the future such that sniper guns are more accurate than auto cannons.

4) No, I do believe you can use inhibitors with logic so you may be able to build AI ships that are capable of stopping jump. I've heard people doing this but I have never messed with it myself.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I really dislike the pirates in the game. So I made my own fleet for my friends and I to fight. I am having some issues with the ships I've been making. Can anyone answer these questions for me?

1. Can Pirate ships use Jump Drive Inhibitors? If not what else can't they use?

2. All my pirates seem to attempt to orbit at 1500 away. That is out of range of some guns. Can this be changed?

3. Can I change the Accuracy of certain ships or Certain guns?

4. Can turrets use Jump Drive Inhibitors? If so can pirates use them that way?
    -Jump inhibitor effect can be given to pirates or AI ships via logic
    -Try to put short range weapons onboard your pirate/drone ships, and give them long range via only turrets, if you want pirates that will close in while still being able to fire missiles & other long range set ups.
    -What Sven said basically, it's a damn shame, but the only real "sniper" weapon in the game right now is missile-beam
    -Turrets, onboard, w/e, but requires logic capable of giving an on signal on load reliably (a standard pulse should work fine as well but would lose efficiency), not immediately obvious if its working you have to attempt to charge a JD around it to find out for sure.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If you're looking to increase the accuracy of AI, you can do so from the local server options that are now accessible from the main menu.

Reaction score
    Thank you guys. Very helpful. I'm going to try the logic today. Great turret tip for range. I believe my range issue was an inactive cannon computer i lost in the bowels of my ship's batteries. So if I do put two types of guns on a single AI ship, which range does it pick? The first gun, most powerful gun, or longest range?

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You know, I'm not sure. But it'd be pretty easy for you to test on your own and report back. You'd be doing the community a service.

Reaction score
    Longest range weapon. AI will always stay as far away as they can while still shooting back.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    yup, always picks the longest range onboard as its "optimal" range, which is a bit silly.

Reaction score
    You guys have been very helpful. Thanks.
    Logic has saved the day, with a fair amount a headache, I've managed to make a Jump inhibitor work on my pirate ships.

Although now I am having issues using the Admin "Manaage AI Spawn Groups" tool.
    Am I wrong assuming this tool gives me control over the pirate fleets that spawn, and allows me to make custom fleets?

Can anyone point me toward a tutorial or a good amount of information on this tool?