Pillow's Big List of Suggestions

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Let me start off by saying I absolutely *love* this game, even as it is. I've been looking for a Minecraft-like space game without much luck other than Blockade Runner, which is grossly overpriced and they keep removing features from the demo. Star-Made is so much better in almost every regard anyway.

After looking through the planned features, I know I'm going to be paying for this (most likely this coming paycheck). But there's so much more potential than just what you have planned (or at least publicly announced :P)!

So, in no particular order, here are some ideas I think people will like. Even if they don't get added into the game, perhaps someone may mod them in at some point in the future :)

Mechanic Tweaks/Ideas:

• Instead of forward velocity and turn/roll speed being based only on block count and thruster count/grouping, you could instead make turn speed based on length and width of the ship, roll speed based on width and height of the ship, and forward velocity on mass vs thrust. You could also make orientation of thrusters matter, so you could augment turn/roll speeds by placing thrusters in the right spot and orientation. Example: Putting 1 thruster on the left front and another on the rear right would improve the turning radius, because you now have extra thrust just to turn the ship.
    • Brakes should not just apply to forward/backward and turning velocity, but also roll velocity. When playing in a frictionless server, you can hold the brake to have a more sticky control over your ship, but it doesn't apply to the roll, so you're just rolling all the time.
    • Instead of traditional FPS type movement where in order to maintain speed you must hold down the forward/backward key, use a throttle. Holding W raises it, holding S lowers/reverses it, braking sets it to 0. This would give you "cruise control" in a server using friction.
    • Certain blocks, when destroyed with weapons, should explode, making protecting them vital as well as being more destructive in chains (and looking a lot better than just disappearing without even a puff of smoke). Destroy 1 block of a power block group, and set off a chain reaction in the engines, disabling the vessel. The destructive explosions don't even have to only damage the vessel that's being attacked; if too close to the explosion, you may damage yourself as well.
    • 360 degrees of gravity; instead of just a single plane of gravity (always pulled toward the bottom of the sector/vessel's orientation), it would be nice if gravity worked in a spherical radius, so you could enable your gravity computer, and walk on the *bottom* of your ship. It would also allow for planets to be spheres instead of discs (though, I rather like the unique disc shape; but it would also allow for two sided discs ;))
    • Collision damage. If you crash, you should actually be damaged instead of simply being warped away.
    • Disconected blocks should be affected by gravity. Instead of having your ship cut in half by damage and still being one thing, it should now be multiple pieces, with the uncontrolled sections of the craft just floating in space/falling toward the center of gravity. Even the part of the craft the player is in, if it has been cut off from the engines/power.
    • I think it would be better for everyone if the build controls were consistent with Minecraft's; they are the exact opposite right now (left to place, right to remove instead of left to remove, right to place) and it gets confusing sometimes XD
    • The space suit should have a built in light source you can toggle on and off like a flash light, allowing you to see in dark caves, ships, stations without having to place Plex Lights. Or at least, one you can build yourself via crafting.
    • Planets, stations, and ships should have varying degrees of gravity. Some are more Earth like. Some would be like the Moon. Others could have high gravity, making jumping impossible (and possibly lethal) while still others could have lower than the current gravity, allowing one to literally jump into space.
    • Cockpits should be enterable just like cores, instead of only switching to them *from* the core. It would also be nice if their view port was facing the orientation of the cockpit block, and not the core, so you could have forward, backward, side, top and bottom views.
    • There should be some way of looking around in a ship without turning the ship, as well as being able to rotate the camera around in 3rd person. Space battles are crazy hard right now because there's no way to look around your ship without moving the ship.

Additions/Items:

• Beam Weapons! Basically like the Scavenger Cannon with it's continuous, straight beam that you can move around and punch holes through planets with, but are lethal. They should consume quite a bit of power, possibly overheat, and higher tier variations can even penetrate shields.
    • Anomolies, both space and planetary based. Black holes, nebulae, mysterious ruins, or other rare and interesting things to discover and exploit.
    • Tractor Beams! Like the pulsator, but in reverse. Instead of pushing things away, you can latch on to them with a beam, and pull them around. Good for towing damaged ships back to a shop/base to repair them. With enough power, they could even be used to move stations and planets around!
    • I know it's been suggested before, but it's something everyone wants so why not suggest it again? TELEPORTERS! "Ha ha... Very funny, Scotty. Now beam me down my clothes!"
    • Liquids... I am not sure if this is planned or not. It's not on the planned features list, but there is an item I found interesting in the settings file concerning rendering water. I've seen lava, but it doesn't flow like liquid (or hurt you, but I assume that's going to change). It would be pretty awesome to be able to find a planet that's pretty much a disc of water or some other liquid, floating in space.
    • Vid screens. Basically paintings from Minecraft, but you know... SPAAAAAAAAAAACE-aged video monitors with animated "paintings."
    • Hull, weapon, power and engine status screens. Either as HUD items or possibly on an animated block you can place somewhere in your cockpit to know the status of your hull blocks, the max range/damage of your current weapon settings, a graph of where your power usage is going, and the power of your engines.
    • Wire system. You know what's nice? Being able to turn on/off lights, open doors, or even fly ships... without using the blocks themselves to do all these things. You could do it even better than Minecraft by allowing wire to go up the sides of blocks and also including "wireless wires" (ie radio signals).

Well... I guess that's all I have for now. I'll probably end up thinking of like 20 more things I'd like to see in the game right after I click the post button, though. XD

Reaction score
    your first suggestion is already in the next version, as is cockpit orientation. and checking the forums is also a good idea, because had you done so, you would know that Shema has said that he will NOT be adding multi-directional gravity.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Didn\'t think to check change logs, because typically they are for changes already made.

And it would be a lot easier to check the forums if there was a search function. Though, as I said in the post, even if some of these aren\'t going to be added by Schma, the game\'s supposed to have modding support (right?) so maybe later on someone else could add some of the things that won\'t be part of the vanilla game.